Your fav movies

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Yeah, it's really random. Moves way too fast, but there's a lot of stuff in it that's just great. FLCL STANDS for Fooly Cooly, but not even the characters in the show know what Fooly Cooly actually means, despite that they all say it a lot. Confusing show, but I can really appreciate random humor.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Me too. That is why I liked that Bananaphonevideo so much. ;) FLCL is just a bit too spastic. It is too serious to be funny, and WAY too forced as the English version. I bet it is not quite the same as it would be if it were the original Japanese version. Sigh. Like I said, it just seems like an excuse for awesome anime visuals anyway. I don't like Inuyasha that much either, but it is rather catchy and sometimes has wicked visual art.
Thanks,

-Slink
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Actually that WAS the whole point of FLCL. They needed a way to test animation techniques for future series (bullet time in episode 1, for example). They made it basically as a way they could test them while getting a story out there, it seems.

About it being serious, I don't know if I agree at all with that one. I mean, it's serious at times, certainly, but they kinda mix in ridiculous sillyness with the serious parts.
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

Awwh, i love you two guys, i really do.

Anyway on with what i was going to say in the first place.

@ Necrosis: so you’re saying that by reading the book, the film was pretty much terrible? i haven't actually read the book, so does this mean i may have a chance by liking the film?

Also i have no idea what FLCL is so i won't get involved with that.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Well, it's not so much reading the book makes it horrible.

Going into ANYTHING Hitchhiker's Guide with experience of another thing Hitchhiker's Guide, most people already know that each thing is entirely different. I was expecting different. It's just that they TRIED to make it funny, and honestly there are some things (like the Vogons and Vogsphere) that I like in appearance, but the execution and the humor involved is just plain horrible. The later parts of the movie become pretty nice for people with previous knowledge, like (as noted in the link I posted) the portrayal of Slartibartfast, and a couple of the original jokes are simply reworked into a different situation ("how many roads must a man walk down?"), but on the whole the movie just isn't very good. I think for a little kid it might be a hilarious movie, but Hitchhiker's Guide wasn't as kid friendly.

Also, I hate that they keep hinting at "ooh, you'll get to see something that is in each version of the story that you haven't really SEEN before," but then they don't actually give you that. And as far as I can tell from the link, a lot of stuff I wanted to be in there IS in earlier cuts of the movie and therefore possibly the DVD. I don't have the DVD, I can't say for sure, but I'd hope so. Honestly? I think you should rent it, but don't expect too much. The books are great (with the exception of most of 4 and 5, which I just did not find funny), the TV series is apparently awesome, look into those, but don't expect grade-A brilliance from the movie.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

The problem with the Hitchhiker movie is that they assumed most people couldnt follow the jokes in the book, so they replaced them with jokes no one wanted to follow in the movie.

For example they replaced Ford's wonderful exchange with the construction guy about the logic of when he could bulldoze the house and whether or not that was dependant on Arthur laying there, with a joke of "men like to drink beer, its funny because its a stereotype".

They clipped it's wings only to find out that the book soared because it was simply forgetting how to fall. The new jokes reminded it exactly of such things as gravity.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Necrosis wrote:Actually that WAS the whole point of FLCL. They needed a way to test animation techniques for future series (bullet time in episode 1, for example). They made it basically as a way they could test them while getting a story out there, it seems.

About it being serious, I don't know if I agree at all with that one. I mean, it's serious at times, certainly, but they kinda mix in ridiculous sillyness with the serious parts.
I KNEW IT! Thanks. :) On with the topic, sorry. -Slink
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Hmm

1 The big lebowski (coen's no one does it better)
2 Crouching tiger hidden dragon (nice story great fight scenes)
3 Hudsucker proxy (Coen's)
4 Hero (very pretty and moving)
5 pirates of the caribbean (kiera knightly :wink: )

off the top of my head
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

Johnny Depp :wink:

Nice selection RedFanatic.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Alright then how about tv series just a top five

1 Third rock from the Sun
2 Signfeld
3 Futurama
4 GreenWing
5 Spaced
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

My top 5 tv series:

1) The Pretender
2) Cheers
3) The Simpsons
4) Arrested Development
5) Futurama
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I dont think I've sat down to wach TV in a long time... The latest I've see must have been Season 3 of Star Gate: Atlantis. Ohh! Ohhh! I know! "Have Gun, Will Travel" and "The Wild Wild West" just avialable on DVD... yesterday.