Blood Source Code Legality

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Blood Source Code Legality

Post by Guest »

http://forum.tmcarthur.net/viewtopic.php?t=52

Look at the link on the last post, and read what the man says in his post. Someone really needs to reverse engineer the blood code, get the source and make a windows port!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

1) Reverse-engineering is NOT ILLEGAL
2) Publishing the code was NOT ILLEGAL
ROFLMAO!!!!
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Come on guys, no "in before the lock" posts... they'll all be deleted, as they are the most useless form of a post.

Guest:

It is true, for the most part, that reverse-engineering is not illegal, however, it takes a lot of work to do. In essence, Transfusion is a half-reverse-engineering project. We're recreating based on the project, but recreating it on a new platform instead of using the old. The original intent of the ReBuild campain was to, in fact, do a reverse-engineering of the game, but it had proven to be more work than it was worth. To this date, I don't think any game based on the build engine has been reverse-engineered. Of course, now a handful of them have open source code so they do not need to be.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Re: Blood Source Code Legality

Post by Slink »

Anonymous wrote:Look at the link on the last post, and read what the man says in his post. Someone really needs to reverse engineer the blood code, get the source and make a windows port!
It doesn't always work quite like that, and it is not easy if it is even possible. All you can do is monitor memory and processor use pertaining to the executable, IF you have a logger program to do such a thing, and then sit for hours picking the log apart. Even from doing something simple, like loading the game and jumping, I don't think that this is possible, because the code could have been handled in any way.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Maybe this has been suggested before, but I've always wondered if it's possible to tweak these Jonof and Eduke things to act like Blood.

Maps would only need minor modifications to make up for the differences between the build versions. Maybe toss in some nifty art and sound conversion tool so one has to own Blood so art and sound wouldn't have to be included in the pack.

This would mean we could preserve the glorious user add ons, and also cook up a beast mode mod with original art.

Don't get me wrong, I love the TransFusion project, but it'll never be Blood. It can be alot better though.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

It'd be better to tweak jfSW instead of the duke ports imo
scirmast
Cultist

Post by scirmast »

Willis wrote:Come on guys, no "in before the lock" posts... they'll all be deleted, as they are the most useless form of a post.

Guest:

It is true, for the most part, that reverse-engineering is not illegal, however, it takes a lot of work to do. In essence, Transfusion is a half-reverse-engineering project. We're recreating based on the project, but recreating it on a new platform instead of using the old. The original intent of the ReBuild campain was to, in fact, do a reverse-engineering of the game, but it had proven to be more work than it was worth. To this date, I don't think any game based on the build engine has been reverse-engineered. Of course, now a handful of them have open source code so they do not need to be.

So... if a company releases a source code, you get.. a full source code! But when you reverse-engineer a game, you get... what? Parts of the code?
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

No, if you reverse-engineer, you re-write all the code to emulate what the real compiled version did as to work with the original data.
scirmast
Cultist

Post by scirmast »

Willis wrote:No, if you reverse-engineer, you re-write all the code to emulate what the real compiled version did as to work with the original data.
Oh.. got it. It makes sense now :)
Theirtiefor
Rat

Post by Theirtiefor »

The blood code source never released and only the only the ports has been released yet which is really a great thing.Some one tried to launch the source code but unable to get the permission and this blood code is still under processing. I have read much about this topic in a article named as ninjaessays which gives good knowledge about it.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

My god, and that almost made sense... :phantasm: