What game are you currently playing?

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Re: What game are you currently playing?

Post by N0t_mINe »

Holy crap, I fell of the transfusion forums again. Time to rectify that little mistake.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I have always been around. :twisted:

What I have not been doing lately is playing very many games, but I did just complete a casual go through Doom again since I got Dave Taylor's original Linux port working with the funky VoxWare MIDI musserver patch with my Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects card. A fascinating bit of hackery.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

War! Age of Imperialism

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Took another long break but I am back at it now.

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

I guess Haunted Dorm wouldn't make for good visuals?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Something fun I might as well share here: I can get the old Linux version of Shogo to work on my modern Arch Linux install again!

It started giving me segmentation faults around five years ago, but it turns out that was due to a bug in the Gallium3D drivers that was fixed in April 2022:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/1924

There are still a few hoops you need to jump through, namely removing the bundled libSDL-1.1.so.0 file and then extracting the legacy libraries included in the Shogo-Libraries.tar.gz archive from the Blood Wiki into the same directory. After that set "MaxFPS" "60" in the autoexec.cfg file to cap the framerate. All arguably still simpler than using dgVoodoo2 to get the game working on a modern Windows environment.

Biggest problem is the bottom three arrow keys on my keyboard have died, so I had to limp through the menus with just the up arrow and set my mouse sensitivity in the config file.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

What's with all these key boards dying?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

N0t_mINe wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:48 pm What's with all these key boards dying?
In fairness the keyboard I have been using is a Macally iKey from the year 2000 that I picked up from a local thrift shop in 2007 for a couple bucks. So all in all it has given me 16 years solid service. I originally just bought it as it did not have a Windows key.

Currently debating if I should take this as an opportunity to go mechanical and shell out for something like a Das Keyboard, or if I should lean more retro and try the beige Perixx PERIBOARD-106M. The Perixx has been very well reviewed for a membrane keyboard so far.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

So I have finally gotten around to trying to get through all of Heretic and HeXen. I had only messed about with the demos before.

I had no idea that the level scripting in HeXen could be so janky. The doors to the Heresiarch's Seminary refused to open when I first reached the hub, and instead I ended up having to use the Dark Servant artifact to summon a Maulotaur so I could hop on a pillar and then hop on its head to get inside. Then when I reached the final area of the Gibbet in the Castle of Grief hub the Chaos Serpents refused to spawn in after I killed all the Afrits. The level scripting for that room is infamous for breaking apparently.

I ended up just loading up my save from the end of the Seven Portals so I could unlock all the secret levels this time, and on the second attempt the doors to the Heresiarch's Seminary opened and the scripting at the end of the Gibbet worked without a hitch. I just have to beat the Necropolis hub now.

Other than that HeXen is very Blood like with its Build Engine like trappings so I am enjoying it. Far more than I did Heretic, which after the original three episodes descends into a slog.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

:shock:

Damn, damn, damn, damn!

It happened again!
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

All is calm, all is quiet. :lol:

Last two games I played were two free software platformers from the turn of the millennium, U.R.B.A.N. The Cyborg Project and Worminator 3.