Blood Addon: The Carnage Continues

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

I dont even remember the original procedure for Coop? Carnage.com should accept any of the command lines.

Otherwise, if setup.exe allows you to specify the ini file, what you could try is extract all the content from the .grp file (use duke3d's barf) and overwrite existing content. Specify "gore.ini" in the setup file. Or rename "gore.ini" to "blood.ini".

Post by Guest »

Hi - just wanted to say that it is cool that people make levels for Blood -

as i "redeiscovered" tis game for me recently -

and i really didn`t know that there is quite a community playing and enjoying this game.

i downloaded some add-ons i could find and bloodlines, gods and tcc seems to be very nice

.. it even inspired me to give a self-made cthulhu-adventure (p&p) a try to make it in blood -

a good time ago i (started to) made a Duke_level - (though never really finished one), and messed (before that) a bit around with other level (merged some together - and "imrproved" them (just for my own fun of course)

of course i don`t plan to build any level on someones else ones -
so the question i have in this direction is if somone could give me a hint where to get the Editor and other Tools (MapEdit or whatever and Docs and some stuff that help to get into it)

btw, relating to TCC, and pls don`t call me a noob, but i seriously have problems in the FIRST Level, after i killed the 3 Gill-Beats and got the key i really don`t know what to do, i am just stuck in this water-section and i cannot get up or down or whatever - i don`t know here to go or maybe better said how to get to it -

there was one door that required a key, but i cannot get up the wall up from the water

so i am really stuck almost at the beginning - lol -

what is a real pity :banghead:

however - keep making Levels - i like atmospheric ones - of course riddles and a good difficulty is always nice ;)

i don´t think this exclude each other though

umm, and this is off-topic - in the Blodlines-Campaign (or how do you call it) i am stuck in the "twilight-level" in episode 2, i cannot get the Key from the Library, i have an idea where it is but i cannot open the "secret door" (or whatever it is) locating it is not that difficult with aid of the map, but how to get it finally ?? - i assume it is the "skull-key, btw (becasue it need it bad)

however, blood is great - keep up the great work :D
Mabuse
Rat

Post by Mabuse »

damn, forgot to log me in :zombie:

the post above is from me :)

i prefer (atm) skill level 3 it is not too easy, but still easy enough for rusty player

perhaps ammunition issues (as read above) happen because Author prefer and tested with other (assumed lower) skillsettings then certain players

from the carnage.txt-File:
Difficulty : Limited implementation (I personally recommend
only the first 2 skill levels
because they give the most kill satisfaction)

EDIT:

btw, it seems that PlanetBlood has the things and Docs i need to get started :D

..and i should mention that the BANZAI AddOn is also nice (have not played too much of it either YET) at first look
Harry (not logged in)

Post by Harry (not logged in) »

Guest,

Swim behind the floating train bogey (where it meets the building wall) and you will see some broken sections of the wall where you can jump on and then on to the train bogey itself and then on to the building top. You will see a ladder ahead. Use it and you're back on the roof where you can use they key.
Mabuse
Rat

Post by Mabuse »

Hi, thx so much.

.. now i will enjoy the addon (and i feel stupid not to have found that on my own (although i thought i have examined the sourronding - seems not enough - maybe i was focussed to much on another pint or something) - next things wil be all found out be me :) :) - promise)

i cannot thank the developers of QUAILITY levels enough, thats what i need to have some fun with the game -

you can be sure that i and a friend of mine wil have fun with it, thx :guns:

i was anyway a bit busy with MAPEDIT in the last Days,

(omg my first maps got all screwed by careless point/sector deletion (i guess) - and it drove me mad that you cannot enter point in walls that are very long (at least i had no much success with it) - looking backwards it was possibly the best thing that could happen to that "basic maps" - now i feel there is something like a progress

i like SECTOR-STACKING a lot :):) - that realy allows some things
and found good tutorials that really help me and make me confident that i can realize some basic things i need for my level - so i could start immediatly with design
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Well here it is finally after almost a year of very on and off construction I’ve finished my very first Blood Level, although I should say Episode as it comes in four pieces but it was meant to be one massive level but Mapedit couldn’t handle it so I cut it up.

Anyway here is the link to a site I made for it to explain the story and show the objectives of each level (Cryptic passage style) just explore around the site and then hit download (install instructions are in the zip) it’s been play tested quite a few times and is in working order but there are still a few errors (pretty much all graphical) but hey it is my first ever mapedit creation, don’t expect it to compare with Carnage I haven’t gone out of the box with it, its just straight Blood but I’m pretty damn pleased with it and hope everyone else enjoys.

Any questions, errors, problems, gripes bring em on and I’ll try to help

Click Here to Go to Hell
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Wicked! As soon as I can get ahold of a dos comp and can install all that is bloodery, I'll play and share my opinion....

Until then... :phantasm:
Mabuse
Rat

Post by Mabuse »

RedFanatic wrote:Well here it is finally after almost a year of very on and off construction I’ve finished my very first Blood Level, although I should say Episode as it comes in four pieces but it was meant to be one massive level but Mapedit couldn’t handle it so I cut it up.

Anyway here is the link to a site I made for it to explain the story and show the objectives of each level (Cryptic passage style) just explore around the site and then hit download (install instructions are in the zip) it’s been play tested quite a few times and is in working order but there are still a few errors (pretty much all graphical) but hey it is my first ever mapedit creation, don’t expect it to compare with Carnage I haven’t gone out of the box with it, its just straight Blood but I’m pretty damn pleased with it and hope everyone else enjoys.

Any questions, errors, problems, gripes bring em on and I’ll try to help

Click Here to Go to Hell
awesome. will definately give it a go !
i am always hungry for nice levels - :D :D :D

will give feedback.
Mabuse
Rat

Post by Mabuse »

ok, after a first Look i can say that it looks ok to me -
textures alingned nicely, good eyecandy, some good "effects"

good work that is worth playing -

-------------------

some points that COULD be improved:

- the "caleb in hell" theme is not excactly what i am looking for (i prefer more "earthbound" things, maybe because i can imagine better), thats no "real downfall" as long i really have the feeling that i am in Hell, so if you convince me that i am really in Hell, it could turn out very good of course

- sometimes it seems overload with decorations, i don`t mind decorations ..even plenty ... IF they fit - but sometimes i had the feeling that a painting on a Maze-Wall, or a picture of JoJo somewhere in a Room in "Hell" does not fit, instead it seems that they are only there to be there (like " ....hmm, i haven`t used the "jojo" picture yet, where can i place it, ah here it dosen`t look too much out of place...")....- on the other hand .. do i know how hell look like ?

- a secret-lazy player as me, might get difficuty to proceed early even in first Level - or may even get stuck - this is a lttle turn off for me, if i get stuck too early in the first Level

as a hint i would suggest to allow the player to see more before the difficulty raise, or probably more hints to solve, would`t it be a pity if the players cannot see much of your pretty levels, or get stuck before it gets intersting

-------

i also took a quick look in the other Levels, just to try them out -
and they contained nice desingns, so its basically ok, a friend of mine was pleased to try them

Bugs:

ehm, maybe i found a "bug" in Level 1 though, i describe what i did:

- ok, first i get up, out of the lava-pit
- entered the room with the innocents and the two Cultists and the Hellhound behind the Gate, killed the cultists
- opened the door and slay the zombies on the outer side, killed the zombies
- entered the small corridor and go into the several rooms and killed all the baddies there

... after i killed all the baddies there remained one Room with a locked Door and the closed gate at end of the small corridor, i searched a bit but could not find something, so i decided to "blast" me over the gate with the help of a remote detonater, so i placed a remote-detonater in front of the gate and while i was jumping i detonated it and the pressure pushed me over the gate -

.. so i could get to the other side - most likely not intended -

however that was not the problem so far, in the Room behind the gate i took the invisibility-item and got through that Room and the Room where many monks/cultists did some chanting

behind that room there was a room with a bunch of (earth)zombies and two hellhounds, with the aid of the zombies (by jumping on them), i could get on top of one of these "tombs" (or whatever it is)

- this/one tomb had a sprite as a ceiling, and somehow i "fell" though it (though it was "blocked" - i guess), there was a gargoyle inside and some symbols that showed the "skull" (so it is something like a door which needed the skull key (or whatever) - i realized later that i wasn`t supposed to enter the room via the ceiling ;)), however i killed the gargoyle, a stairway led down where some rats and other enemies in a liittle maze awaited me. through the maze, there was a similar room above a stairway, and in that moment i realized that i got somewhere i was not supposed to be, because from game-logic i should have come from THIS side (where i ended after the maze) -

however, could not get out of this mazeroom (of course - since had no skull key or something that could have helped me to get out of the first room (where i fell through the ceiling)

... so in short words after blasting myself over the gate, and falling through a ceiling in a tomb beyond the "chanting room" i was somehow stuck in a maze-like room, i suppose heavily that it wasn`t meant to get there as i did ...

----------

i was stuck early i first level, which was a little turn off, and i could also not find any clues that helped me somehow.

.. this of course only made me more eager to see the other levels and i took a short look into each of it (to get a little picture) -

and i must say this motivated me to see more - definately worth a look/play - i will give me more time to see how to get through the first level ;)

conclusion:
if you would delete the "jojo"-pictures and some paintings/decorations i would like it even more,

... and another thing ..calebs quotes at start of each level are ... annoying :P,

they just seem to be there, to be there, they don`t even fit nessessarily, where the "when does the hurting stop" at start of first level make some sense and is ok, the later quotes just annoy me - thx god the level that follows the quote is better :D (it is not that bad of course, i can live with it - it seems this is another case of that they are there to BE there, and not that they are there because they make sense)

all in all i would say the levels COULD benefit from some tweaking (keyword decorations, progression), but of course you have to know what to do, they are worth a look/play - its up to you to give em the last cut

hope this doesn`t sound too bad, but how to make it better if not by critic, in every case it contains a good number of eyecandy and good-looking things - keep up the good work - i will definately give it another go, between some editing breaks ;)

and a "hell"-theme is also not the easist one, if it should turn out good.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Well thanks for the points Mebusa I can see where your coming form on some of them but I think that most are a question of personal taste, the decorations well yeah some times I have to admit I was just popping them in to make a blank wall seem more interesting but for the most part I was only trying to keep to the theme which isn’t hell as such but Purgatory especially created for/from Caleb and populated with the souls of things Caleb has killed hence the echo’s of reality and original Blood.
And the quotes I was only going to have the one because it made sense for the story but then I thought I’d have one at every start as long as it had something to do with the level it was on,

‘when will the hurting stop’ (Caleb’s soul suffering for the evil he’s done)
‘do I smell gasoline?’ (the entire level is centred around a power station)
‘They’ll need more of these’ (you start looking at Graves)
‘There already dead they just don’t know it yet’ (the ghosts on this level)

WARNING SPOILER COMING UP
As for the way you got past the gate that was a total destruction of the levels flow that I just couldn’t have foreseen not being a very good dynamite jumper myself, what you should have done is…….
Searched the little rooms the first one you come to on your left has a button click it and then fall through the grating that opens you’ll end up coming out inside that room that’s locked where there is a button to open the fence, after that kill all the church goers and click the button on the inverted cross to get the fire key, use it to get inside the biggest of the two tombs past the church where you’ll see another button that opens a hatch to the maze room, at the other end of the maze room there is another stair case that leads to the gargoyle/skull button room (that I forgot to re block when I was editing it this will be fixed) inside this room you’ll find there is a sequence button lock like JoJo’s banner in original Blood (search the smaller tomb pillars around the level for the code) once that’s done you’ll hear a click then return from the maze into the main area and see what’s changed.

It’s definitely not perfect but apart from as you discovered some weakness to very adventurous players it should all flow well.
Mabuse
Rat

Post by Mabuse »

ahh, i see.

after making some thoughts about the "quotes" (and quotes in general -) i think the main thing why they sometimes don`t SEEM to fit too well is that they`re played to early . sometimes they start before the screen is fully build up and then they are finished before the player actually realize what he see -

thx for the hint btw, i KNOW that secrets and finding ways are an important part of game-play, so it is of course fine. the buttons are well hidden/placed i must say, i guess i have to be more careful on the next try :) -

btw, .... um, i have a EDITING Question - i wanted to try out an "Ectoskull-Gen", i have SETTINGS that make a FIREBALL-GEN work correctly (tested), but if i set the FIREBALL-Gen-Sprite to a Ectoskull-Gen-Sprite it won`t work anymore - any ideas ?

does anyboby know levels where ectoskull generators are included, or have already set up one ? (cannot remember atm)
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Ask Harry i have no idea, if you do find out post it though :)
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

First of all, Congratulations on completing a fine map pack :D i really enjoyed it, you have creative and imaginative ideas :wink: For me the levels got better as they progressed with Redemption taking the cake. I love the place being covered in a grey palette ala Boggy Creek and the use of ghosts just added to the already outstanding atmosphere. Nice use of lighting in the several different rooms and i just gasped at the end walking into the light. A Brillitant addon worthy of any Blood Collection. Well i liked it better than that abomination Banzai imo :evillaugh:
Mabuse
Rat

Post by Mabuse »

.. yeah, i also have to say, that (after i found the switch at the beginning - omg - i cant believe i haven`t found it earlier - i was in that place before :shrug: :lol: - maybe that run wasn`t too motivated anyway)

that it is indeed very nice work - getting better and better every time i look at it

good gameplay and nice ideas/design -
excellent work
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Hey thanks guys, i keep going through phases sometines all i can see is the mistakes i made and sometimes i think i rule lol :) nice to know others like it.

hehe it's not so suprising you missed that switch Mabuse, suffering was my first ever map and i got really carried away with a secete area the one the switch leads to and untill it was pointed out to me by my playtester that you could just walk right by it and miss the whole thing it was wayyyy to hidden hence the addition of the gate, thats why the subsequent levels are gradually better, it's my learning curve in mapedit