Favourite episode?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

What is your favourite blood episode?

Episode 1: The way of all flesh
20%
Episode 2: Even death may die
20%
Episode 3: A farewell to arms
No votes
Episode 4: Dead reckoning
No votes
Episode 5: Post mortem
20%
Episode 6: Cryptic passage
40%

Total votes: 5
neznam
Rat

Favourite episode?

Post by neznam »

I don't know if such a thread has been made before, but what is your favourite episode and why?

For me it must be episode 5; Post Mortem. I generally don't like urban level design, but "they are here" and "public storage" were actually very well designed and thematically appealing despite this. I liked the castle motif later in the episode, especially "forbidden rituals". The boss fight was the best of any episode, and the new enemies really helped to give it an edge.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Re: Favourite episode?

Post by dosgamer000 »

Cryptic Passage is probably my favorite. Although it wasn't developed by Monolith, it had amazing level detail, decent gameplay, and plenty of ammo to blast all sorts of monsters. The final level (Castle) with the floating temple in the sky was cool to see and I wish it was it's own long boss level. As for levels designed by Monolith themselves, I think I prefer Even Death May Die for that winter theme. Ice levels in FPS games are usually fun to play, IMO.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

First episode for me. I just love the scenery and it really sets the tone for the rest of the game. Plus starting the game from the grave has always been iconic for me.

"I live... again."
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

"Even death may die." Cultist infested hotels, ships trapped in ice, a vast, creature festooned mansion, and fish people straight from Dartmouth! Blood at It's most Lovecraftian!

EDIT 4/06/19

Innsmouth kids, not Dartmouth *sigh*
Last edited by N0t_mINe on Fri Apr 06, 2018 01:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

VGames wrote:First episode for me. I just love the scenery and it really sets the tone for the rest of the game. Plus starting the game from the grave has always been iconic for me.

"I live... again."
Blood had a very good episode to showcase in it's Shareware demo. In most cases, the Shareware episodes for FPS games at the time became the most memorable and beloved. The flow of levels in the first episode was pretty good and didn't go off the rails like in Dead Reckoning.
N0t_mINe wrote:"Even death may die." Cultist infested hotels, ships trapped in ice, a vast, creature festooned mansion, and fish people straight from Dartmouth! Blood at It's most Lovecraftian!
The hotel and mansion levels were very spooky. I would've loved to see a level like Butchery Loves Company take place in the second episode (a snowy mountain laboratory full of electricity, machines, and evil Cabal experiments.)
neznam wrote:I don't know if such a thread has been made before, but what is your favourite episode and why?

For me it must be episode 5; Post Mortem. I generally don't like urban level design, but "they are here" and "public storage" were actually very well designed and thematically appealing despite this. I liked the castle motif later in the episode, especially "forbidden rituals". The boss fight was the best of any episode, and the new enemies really helped to give it an edge.
I did like how Post Mortem was scrapped together using some of the alpha levels. The urban levels felt decent IMO and I agree, Public Storage is one of the best official Blood levels. What I would've liked to see were more surreal/bizarre/supernatural levels like In the Flesh (probably the strangest level in all Blood) and The Pit of Cerberus (the entire level is flipped upside down and supposedly takes place in Hell.)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Looks like we needed a tie-breaker. It was a close call between it and the first two Blood episodes, but I finally decided on giving Cryptic Passage the gold. :drinkblood: