Does anyone still map for Blood 2?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DeadYorick
Rat

Does anyone still map for Blood 2?

Post by DeadYorick »

Hi there

I have a few questions about mapping for Blood 2 however don't know anyone that still does it.

I'm right now looking for the video from this website https://web.archive.org/web/20041224205 ... elp/bb.htm

as well I'm trying to solve this problem I've been having with mapping for the game. Namely that the "run" button doesn't work. Additionally when I put the .dat into my custom folder, it won't run ingame. It's driving me crazy. Can anyone help me with this?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Re: Does anyone still map for Blood 2?

Post by N0t_mINe »

There aren't any active b2 mappers that I know of and the video you've linked to is 20 years old. One fellow had a brief bout of dedit mapping at 3rdplayers site, he hasn't talked about it for the last 6 months though. Happily, he did manage to get some tutorials for shogo up. Shogo uses the same editor.

https://3rdplayer.com
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Also, there is a way to launch your dat via multiplayer front end. I'm rusty but I think the format is single player = bb_mymap and multi =BB_mymap. You'll have to run it from the multiplayer menu choice.
DeadYorick
Rat

Post by DeadYorick »

I finally got it to work by writing the batch file parameters into the game launcher's command line options. Putting the game's level into the custom folder seemingly does nothing.

I didn't know Blood 2 was such a stickler over everything
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

DeadYorick wrote: I didn't know Blood 2 was such a stickler over everything
Prepare to lose your mind. :evillaugh:
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

@vgames :lol:

There have been 6 user maps made for b2 in 2 decades, perhaps 100 multilayer levels. Even when it was current, lithtech was considered a nightmare to modify.
DeadYorick
Rat

Post by DeadYorick »

bit of an update
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Hello DeadYorick. It's cool to see people trying to make maps for Blood 2 in the modern day. Many of the Bloodbath maps had really nice designs but very little single player maps were created by fans.
DeadYorick
Rat

Post by DeadYorick »

dosgamer000 wrote:Hello DeadYorick. It's cool to see people trying to make maps for Blood 2 in the modern day. Many of the Bloodbath maps had really nice designs but very little single player maps were created by fans.
Well making a multiplayer map just involves making geometry and lighting it. Whereas a single player map needs to be paced, tested and involve scripting. It's the case with most games that have editors. I'm more familiar with later Lithtech engine games like No One Lives Forever and Aliens Vs Predator 2 so mapping for this one is virtually the same.

I'm also slightly interested in seeing if it would be possible to finish Revelations. I'm working with a software dev to make a Blender script for .abc so hopefully it will eventually be possible to add new weapons into the game without resorting to using Softimage.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Oh ok you're reindeerfloatilla from ModDB right? I was gonna mention you here after u told me about your blender project with abc models. Nice to have u here.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

If I remember right,
I used to compile the map and then put it inside custom REZ file and load that REZ at startup, then run a multiplayer game so I could select that map.

For single player levels, you actually have to unREZ the actual Blood.rez file and replace the original maps with your new maps(renaming the new maps with the exact names of the original maps) and then running a singleplayer game.
Or create a custom REZ and replacing the original maps the same way.
That was the only way I could get them to run in actual SP mode.

You could try poking around through the Internet Archive and look through these old links I had saved also:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070713074 ... /modmaker/

https://web.archive.org/web/20141020153 ... roject.htm
DeadYorick
Rat

Post by DeadYorick »

VGames wrote:Oh ok you're reindeerfloatilla from ModDB right? I was gonna mention you here after u told me about your blender project with abc models. Nice to have u here.
Yeah. I'll post a thread about it when it's finished since support for Blood 2/shogo's version of .abc hasn't been implemented yet. We're currently working on NOLF/AvP2.
I Live...AGAIN wrote:If I remember right,
I used to compile the map and then put it inside custom REZ file and load that REZ at startup, then run a multiplayer game so I could select that map.

For single player levels, you actually have to unREZ the actual Blood.rez file and replace the original maps with your new maps(renaming the new maps with the exact names of the original maps) and then running a singleplayer game.
Or create a custom REZ and replacing the original maps the same way.
That was the only way I could get them to run in actual SP mode.

You could try poking around through the Internet Archive and look through these old links I had saved also:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070713074 ... /modmaker/

https://web.archive.org/web/20141020153 ... roject.htm
Unrezzing the Blood.rez file is what I did. Although replacing maps wasn't necessary.

Putting client -rez pathtounrezzedfiles under command line options however was. After that it would load a map I put in the custom folder.

I am aware of Modmaker's stuff however later Lithtech engines don't have this problem. Like with No One Lives Forever it's much easier to run a map through the editor's "run" button.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Yes I understand. From my experience though, the "run" button never worked in Dedit 1.0 or in the Shogo Dedit(I cant remember the number)
DeadYorick
Rat

Post by DeadYorick »

The lithtech blender plugin is on Github now.

https://github.com/cmbasnett/io_scene_abc

It doesn't as of yet support Lithtech 1.0. We're currently getting animations to work with the Lithtech 2/Talon version. Currently the format has been mostly figured out we're just trying to get it to translate into Blender's scripting engine properly.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Whoa, that's an awesome bit of work there. Have you taken a look at any of the noesis python
plugins for lithtech 1.0? They can't handle animation, but can certainly read raw geometry.