NEW Singleplayer Levels for Blood 2

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

NEW Singleplayer Levels for Blood 2

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I have finally released my mini Singleplayer MOD for Blood 2 called "B2K5". It replaces the first 3 retail levels of the game with 2 new never been seen before singleplayer levels and 1 previously released level.

Why the title B2K5? Well... I actually started this mod some 3+ years ago but through real-life things, procrastination, and other games taking up my time, I never got anything to a releasable state until now.

Not only does this mod contain some new levels, but it also includes early beta material from Kurt Fuhr's Blood 2 Resurrection MOD as well as small pieces from my favorite B2 mods.

Huge thanks go out to Kurt, Predator, Guzz, Arjan, Hades and others for thier individual work (having nothing to do with my mod) Please look at the B2K5.txt for a full list of credits.

Hopefully this will only be the beginning as I have some other maps partially done, I just wanted to get something out for people to play and enjoy while we wait for Kurt's hard work to pay off.

I hope everyone enjoys, I never claim to be a professional mapper but I hope this MOD helps bring back some old memories of Blood, it has for me.

Levels:

Path Of Death:

Roadhouse:

Hospital Of Souls:

Download the mod from here for now:

http://www.savefile.com/files/1207998

Hopefully Willis will host it here :D
and please checkout the B2K5.txt for more info.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Nice one Joe!

Looking forward to firing this up today... Teasing us with the "maybe tonight" thing two days ago.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

this is surprisingly pretty damn cool and gothic flavored. It looks and sounds alot more like original Blood for sure. I was wondering if any of the original midis are supposed to be playing during gameplay? If so, I can't hear them..

Im still trying to get past those flaming skull demon things on the first map, being kind of not-so-familiar with Blood 2, IM not sure what strategy to use on them. The AI of the cultists is spot on! Great job on this.. Im going to play more.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Not sure if this is a mod issue or a Blood 2 issue (it dosen't happen with the main levels.) But when I play the custom level the v_weps jitter up and down like Caleb is crouching or jumping.

Is this happening to any one else?
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

DustyStyx wrote:Nice one Joe!

Looking forward to firing this up today... Teasing us with the "maybe tonight" thing two days ago.
Sorry about that Chris :oops: I had everything ready and went to do a final compile, but the first map took less than a minute to compile while Roadhouse took almost 22 hours to do so. Probably because of some wierd brishes and lighting effects in it.
DustyStyx wrote:Not sure if this is a mod issue or a Blood 2 issue (it dosen't happen with the main levels.) But when I play the custom level the v_weps jitter up and down like Caleb is crouching or jumping.
It happens to me once in a great while, but I thought it did with reguler retail levels as well. If I remember it might have had something to do with an advanced setting that needed to be changed. I'll see what I can find.
wangho wrote:this is surprisingly pretty damn cool and gothic flavored. It looks and sounds alot more like original Blood for sure. I was wondering if any of the original midis are supposed to be playing during gameplay? If so, I can't hear them..
Thanks alot wangho :D I didnt set any music to play in any of the levels, I only used the one Blood MIDI for the menu because it was my favorite, but converting them to wave made them kinda big in size making the REZ huge so I didnt want to use too many.
wangho wrote:Im still trying to get past those flaming skull demon things on the first map, being kind of not-so-familiar with Blood 2, IM not sure what strategy to use on them.
The guy your talking about is very hard to kill, especially on harder levels, one thing I noticed about him is it's hard to tell sometimes if your actually hitting him or not, especially if he is close to a tree ot lamp post. make sure he is bleeding when your shooting him.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Oh, I believe I forgot to mention in the credits that the HUD belongs to Kurt and his Blood2 Ressurection mod as well. So please let him know how cool it looks :D
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Thanks Joe, I appreciate it. The jitter does happen occasionally in the retail levels, but it's seldom. However in your first level it seems like Caleb is constantly doing it. It got worse after I saved the game and then closed out and tried loading again.
wangho wrote:Im still trying to get past those flaming skull demon things on the first map, being kind of not-so-familiar with Blood 2, IM not sure what strategy to use on them.
I Live...AGAIN wrote:The guy your talking about is very hard to kill, especially on harder levels, one thing I noticed about him is it's hard to tell sometimes if your actually hitting him or not, especially if he is close to a tree ot lamp post. make sure he is bleeding when your shooting him.
I've noticed they are vulnerable when they are doing their power up (just before he shoots the skulls at you). The animation looks like he's inhaling, and his elbow raise.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

I think I fixed that jitter when I later decreased the walking and running speed in Resurrection. But this very early version still retains many of Blood 2's "features".

But I do think that ILA has created some really fun and enjoyable stuff here, and I'll definitely look forward to any future levels that may be developed. :D
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Got the sound issue i had sorted. Also, after I restarted after saving in Level2 the jittering went away. These are shaping up to be some pretty nice levels Joe.

You and Kurt rock :D
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

how do you save and load games? I have that damn disappearing menu and I an never see what Im really doing. I keep getting killed near the end of the first level.

I might have to learn Dedit and make some Blood 2 levels at some point. I really like the lighting, sky, and ambient effects used in this first map.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

The disappearing menu thing is a pain.

On the Blood2 launcher window, click the advanced tab and check the following options:

If that does not help, open up your Blood2 resource files named defaults.cfg and autoconfig.cfg and add in the line: "MaxFPS" "30"
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

Played through the 1st and 2nd levels. The Hospital seems really huge and the game constantly crashes after I try to get past one door. Don't know if I'll be able to complete the level. 1st level architecture is one of the simplest I've ever seen, the reason it compiled that quick.

Also, kurt didn't mention he has a Mime model, was surprised when I accidentally met one in toilet. :oops:
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Ghoste wrote:Played through the 1st and 2nd levels. The Hospital seems really huge and the game constantly crashes after I try to get past one door. Don't know if I'll be able to complete the level. 1st level architecture is one of the simplest I've ever seen, the reason it compiled that quick.

Also, kurt didn't mention he has a Mime model, was surprised when I accidentally met one in toilet. :oops:
same here. I found the mime. Finally got to the 3rd map. Its kinda weird how the point of view changes to 3rd person for the beginning of the map.

The architecture on the first level is simple, but sometimes simple is good. The second level has some pretty great architecture. I like the outside area the best when you can view the exterior. Reminds me of Redneck Rampage a bit.

Thanks Dusty for the tutorial, I'll give that a go.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

The simple geometry of the first level was kind of done on purpose.

You see, wayy back when I started this mod, (2004) the maps were going to also be for multiplayer and anyone who has played alot of blood2 multiplayer can tell you that a highly detailed map plays like crap with lag and very low framerates. So when I set out, the goal was to create a very clean map without alot of sharp angles and such to be rendered. The map you see under my name to the left "HighNoon" suffered from this problem.

That being said, it was almost 4 years ago and today's hardware probably can better handle most of this old game's lag. You can expect better detail in future levels.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I just noticed that if you try to play as any of the chosen other than Caleb that objectives and cinematics dont work....

ahh well, it was only intended for Caleb anyway :D