Small, very much p*** me off issue

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Small, very much p*** me off issue

Post by Necrosis »

My goddamn PS2 doesn't work right anymore. I think I dropped it or something. It only 1/4 works, plays DVD games and that's it. Anyone have any idea what's making that happen? I just got Guilty Gear X and it won't play 'cause it's blue disc, and I have been craving Guilty Gear for 5 days now.

Added: Took the thing apart a little, janked stuff around, blew dust out, nothing happened. The thing is practically disposable anyways, 'cause I was gonna just get a new one if my friend was able to sell his.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Sorry my friend, but the PS2 is Sony's most crappy product ever. Almost everyone I know who has bought a PS2 when it came out had it broken after a year or two. Something's wrong with the lenses in those things (the early releases anyways). Try a cleaning disc (which probably won't work) or contact your supplier.
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

My friend's PS2 also got f*** up. Something's wrong with those things.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Agreed. I'll never forget the first one when it started breaking down... It got to a point where brand new healthy PS1 discs were even shunned by the f*** up lenses.

*saves his money up for an Xbox for next buy*
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Rushed production... What can you do...
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

I even heard those "slim jim" PS2s are a load of s*** and break down all the same. They over heat in a matter of hours because there's no fan. Well... that's WHAT I heard. Hmph.... f*** Sony and it's cheap parts and s***.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

PlayStation has always sucked. But that's probably just me being nostalgic.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Well.... PSX isn't too bad.
Daedolon
Cultist

Post by Daedolon »

I have a newer version of the PS2, the silver one that had been released around a year ago, it's more quiet than the original black models and it has no loading problems whatsoever.

I really don't know when it happened, one day I just noticed that the vibration does not work with ANY controller, even if the controllers' vibration function works in PSX and other PS2 consoles. I had not even dropped the goddamn console. I've been playing without the vibration for half a year already, it's not a big deal but p*** me of since there's lots of games that actually require the function (ie. some items in MGS2 and MGS3).
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Silver? Huh... We only have black ones here... I am actually considering a couple of things. First, buying my friend's PS2 from him as it is brand new and he doesn't even use it. Second, sending the thing to Sony as they appear to repair the issue for free.

Added: I found that you can lower/raise the lens, so I'm trying that for a while. No success yet, but I will also clean the laser.
DemonPostalWrkr
Cultist

Post by DemonPostalWrkr »

heres what you do... Call up Sony's hotline, tell them you have a "Disc Read Error", "You've never dropped it", "You've never used a gameshark", and "Its only a few months old" It doesnt matter if any of those statements are false. My friend and I were trying to do that laser trick and we broke the motherboard in the process. You send it in, it costs about 10 dollars for shipping and they'll ship you off a refurbished one. Enjoy.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

See, I ripped off the sticker, apparently they charge you an examination fee AND just send it back if you send it in with a ripped off sticker. Also, they will apparently fix it if you tell them you got a disc read error and that you did research and it appears to be a common problem. It seems it can't hurt to sound angry.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Ok, I nearly broke the thing today. It pretty much sucked. I couldn't turn it on and it failed to read anything. Reconnect something and it goes back to how it used to be. Heh... I suppose I'm buying the redesign then. Not much of an issue, I like the thing more anyways.