What I am working on (renamed)

Discuss model development here.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Here's it in Gmax:

I gotta figure out a way to have better transparentcy.

I think I'll work on a texture for light1 in my spare time.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Cool, I'm glad that mini layers tutorial helped you out some. Things are starting to look better and better. Now lets see how close you can get the model to look like the textrue.

Do you know how to crack open the Blood .art files? Having the actual texture open while you are skinning helps alot when trying to produce the skin for it.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Good work, Boss. :D
The brain looks a bit too much like wood, but overall I like your work.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Cruaich wrote:Cool, I'm glad that mini layers tutorial helped you out some. Things are starting to look better and better. Now lets see how close you can get the model to look like the textrue.

Do you know how to crack open the Blood .art files? Having the actual texture open while you are skinning helps alot when trying to produce the skin for it.
I know how to open up the .art files, it's finding the sprite your looking for that the problem! But I found the brain jar sprite and I'll try to make my texture resemble it more.
predator wrote:Good work, Boss. :D
The brain looks a bit too much like wood, but overall I like your work.
Thanks.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I think you missed his point, or the model was not made how I think it was. See, the glass texture all faces inward, the stuff inside all faces outward, INCLUDING the blood.

Alas, I think the glass should become translucent. Can't models have different "bodies"? Hmm...

-Slink
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

True transperency can be done with the alpha channel. Boss, if you want to try that let me know. Unfortunatly PSP7 does not do alpha's that well, so I've taken to use a combination of GIMP and PSP7. PSP8 may do it just fine though, but that's something you may have to research on your own it you want to go that route.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Cruaich wrote:True transperency can be done with the alpha channel. Boss, if you want to try that let me know. Unfortunatly PSP7 does not do alpha's that well, so I've taken to use a combination of GIMP and PSP7. PSP8 may do it just fine though, but that's something you may have to research on your own it you want to go that route.
Please tell me how to use the alpha channel. I just installed GIMP.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

when I export a UV map with Java MD3 it make the mesh on the texture a little too small. If I make the background of the texture green then on the model the has green outlines on it:

I can fix this in PSP by enlarging parts of the texture, but it is annoying. Is there a better way to export a UV map?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

okay, let me write up a tut for you.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

A trick to jMD3 is to apply a large texture to the model first and then export the UV map.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Still working on the tutorial. But I see what you mean about that green line now. Yes that will happen, you will want to make it so your texture area will over lab the line by a little bit. This is how I would set it up.

Light1.ZIP
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Better late than never, but

BRAINS!!!
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Cruaich wrote:Still working on the tutorial. But I see what you mean about that green line now. Yes that will happen, you will want to make it so your texture area will over lab the line by a little bit. This is how I would set it up.

Light1.ZIP
Thats a great way to set it up! I never thought of having the wireframe be an layer or the sprite; thanks. How did you enlage the texture area to go over the line a little? I used the clone tool on the brain to get rid of the lines, but it took me a while.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

When I setup the wire layer I used the "Magic Wand" to select all the black parts wich allowed me to delete what would just block the view of everthing.

You can also set the Magic Wand to select by "Opacity" That will allow you to select all the clear area outside the wireframe. After that is selected just invert the selection and change the current layer to your target layer.

You can now fill the area with whatever base color you want to work with. It will fill all the other selected areas as well but that's okay; just use the magic wand to select the area you want to keep and invert the selection again. you can now delete out everything else.

Now invert the selection again, so you just have your area selected and expand the selection area by 3 (6 if your image is 1024x1024) Then just fill the area again.

A note on this alpha tutorial. It's giving me some trouble I'm working out some technical issues with GIMP but if it work it'll kick ass. Unfortunatly it'll be a little bit befor I have the tut done. In the mean time try working on the brain a bit.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Cruaich wrote:When I setup the wire layer I used the "Magic Wand" to select all the black parts wich allowed me to delete what would just block the view of everthing.

You can also set the Magic Wand to select by "Opacity" That will allow you to select all the clear area outside the wireframe. After that is selected just invert the selection and change the current layer to your target layer.

You can now fill the area with whatever base color you want to work with. It will fill all the other selected areas as well but that's okay; just use the magic wand to select the area you want to keep and invert the selection again. you can now delete out everything else.

Now invert the selection again, so you just have your area selected and expand the selection area by 3 (6 if your image is 1024x1024) Then just fill the area again.

A note on this alpha tutorial. It's giving me some trouble I'm working out some technical issues with GIMP but if it work it'll kick ass. Unfortunatly it'll be a little bit befor I have the tut done. In the mean time try working on the brain a bit.
Thanks for explaining it. I've been trying to make the brain look more like the original but its hard when the sprite is so small. What improvements should I make on the brain texture?