What I am working on (renamed)

Discuss model development here.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

If it is not there, you can use Urre's ModelView DarkPlaces mod, it will allow you to spawn any model in a provided map.

I can't find the URL for it just now so I've uploaded a copy I have here. Just extract the modelview folder + contents to your root Transfusion directory. Then make a shortcut to the Transfusion or Darkplaces.exe (not sure wich one you have) and add "-game modelview" to the target line in the shortcut properties.

Once that's done, copy jar1.md3 and your jar1.jpg/tga texture to the transfusion\modelveiw\test\ directory and launch modelview. It should load a map with a red, yellow, blue XYZ origin point, ground and two lightbulbs. The XYZ indicator is a little clunky and teneds to obstruct small models, so I turn it off. To do that, open the transfusion\modelview\default.cfg file and change the entry "SET modelview_vieworg" to "0"

You should now beable to load the jar1.md3 file without it being obstructed. To do that in game hit "T" and type "model brain test/jar1.md3"
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Cruaich wrote:If it is not there, you can use Urre's ModelView DarkPlaces mod, it will allow you to spawn any model in a provided map.

I can't find the URL for it just now so I've uploaded a copy I have here. Just extract the modelview folder + contents to your root Transfusion directory. Then make a shortcut to the Transfusion or Darkplaces.exe (not sure wich one you have) and add "-game modelview" to the target line in the shortcut properties.

Once that's done, copy jar1.md3 and your jar1.jpg/tga texture to the transfusion\modelveiw\test\ directory and launch modelview. It should load a map with a red, yellow, blue XYZ origin point, ground and two lightbulbs. The XYZ indicator is a little clunky and teneds to obstruct small models, so I turn it off. To do that, open the transfusion\modelview\default.cfg file and change the entry "SET modelview_vieworg" to "0"

You should now beable to load the jar1.md3 file without it being obstructed. To do that in game hit "T" and type "model brain test/jar1.md3"
Thanks I got modelview to work.
Thats so wierd how the glass of the jar is transparent! That dosen't seem possible how only the glass is transparent and not the whole texture.

Thanks alot for all your help Cruaich.
I will continue working on my jar1 texture.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Here's a render of it so far in JavaMD3:

Original Sprite:

Texture:

Still a work in progress.
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

The glass looks transparent because the polygons have been flipped around, so they are facing away from you rather than towards you. That was the only effective way I found of providing a glass effect until the game supported textures with transparency (and even now the engine still has issues with it).
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Kazashi wrote:The glass looks transparent because the polygons have been flipped around, so they are facing away from you rather than towards you. That was the only effective way I found of providing a glass effect until the game supported textures with transparency (and even now the engine still has issues with it).
Oh so thats how it works! I should have thougt of that.
Thanks for explaining it.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Cool, I'm glad you were able to get it working Boss. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you can do with it. One thing you might do is to color the lower half of the brain redish, it'll give the illusion of it floating in the liquid.

If you feel ambitious I'll show you how to add an alpha channel to the glass part of the jar to make it more transperent... though it may not be needed, we'll have to see.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Here it is with the red on the lower half:

I'm interested in your alpha channel idea.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

It's getting there. Good work. Lets see how close you can get it.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

I'm not very happy with the brain part of the texture. It looks too fake and bland. Any suggestions? I've pretty much learned everything in PSP from trail and error but I can't seem to get the brain looking right.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Hehe, we are in the same boat you and I. I've been trial and erroring (mostly erroring I'm sure) with PSP for years now. Personaly I'm happiest with 7.

It's time consuming as hell but I find a combination of lighten/darken and smudge work well with getting things to look right; that and layers, uppon layers, uppon layers. It looks like your doing that for the most part with your texture. Keep at it.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Cruaich wrote:Hehe, we are in the same boat you and I. I've been trial and erroring (mostly erroring I'm sure) with PSP for years now. Personaly I'm happiest with 7.

It's time consuming as hell but I find a combination of lighten/darken and smudge work well with getting things to look right; that and layers, uppon layers, uppon layers. It looks like your doing that for the most part with your texture. Keep at it.
I use PSP 8 (the only version I own). I used some more lighten/darkening on my texture and it looks alot better. I've never done much with layers, how do you use them?

Here it is:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

In general layers are good for letting you be as sloppy as you want and still not mess up any of the other parts of the drawing. ie any changes you make wil ONLY be made to that layer...

I had to go download the PSP8 trial ware to see how it works exactly. First, make sure your Layers "Palette" is displayed. Pres F8 if it's not.

To add a new layer right click in the white area of the Layer Palette and select "New Rater Layer..."

You can also move selected areas of an existing layer to a new layer. Select what you would like to promote to a new layer and then in the Selections menu, click Promote Selection to Layer. Remember to have the layer you'd like to copy from as your active layer.

Once you have a few layers it's good to name them discriptivly. ie, brains, glass, liquid, lid.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Cruaich wrote:In general layers are good for letting you be as sloppy as you want and still not mess up any of the other parts of the drawing. ie any changes you make wil ONLY be made to that layer...

I had to go download the PSP8 trial ware to see how it works exactly. First, make sure your Layers "Palette" is displayed. Pres F8 if it's not.

To add a new layer right click in the white area of the Layer Palette and select "New Rater Layer..."

You can also move selected areas of an existing layer to a new layer. Select what you would like to promote to a new layer and then in the Selections menu, click Promote Selection to Layer. Remember to have the layer you'd like to copy from as your active layer.

Once you have a few layers it's good to name them discriptivly. ie, brains, glass, liquid, lid.
Thanks thats much more organized and easier to deal with!
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

I've finished with the brain part of the texture.
Thanks for all your help Cruaich!
Here it is:

Tell me what you think!
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Could we see it on the model, please? :D