your thoughts on doom 3

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

your thoughts on doom 3

Post by Gila »

let's discuss it, after all, it's a big title and a next-gen engine.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Your judgment strongly depends on your expectations.

I expected a plain and simple, well done horror experience, and that's exactly what I got. So, I'm very satisfied with this game.

It is not complicated, it even gets a bit repetitive on later missions, but it has awesome feel and atmosphere, terrific graphics and sound system.

Weak sides of Doom 3 are very poor multiplayer and weapon sounds, but I bought this game for singleplayer, so I am happy with what I got.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I'll get back to you when I can afford the $700 upgrade.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I think the game absolutely sucks, and I expected nothing of it. It lacks that one little thing that gaming is all about: gameplay. I can't even begin to imagine the number of times I've said this about a game. It seems ever since 3D has been possible everything's gone to hell on the gameplay-side. I remember cursing Fifa Soccer 98 for it's 'stiff' gameplay and things haven't gotten any better since. EA is buying up companies now, and this producing even more sucky games than they were before. Where will it end? I remember downloading Far Cry because it looked amazing (saw it on a show on TV). I played it for 3 minutes (if that!) and deleted the whole thing (which took me longer than I actually played it). This is my general experience with games the last 5 years or so. To look on the bright side: now I spend more time on other things than gaming, which in my experience is much better! :P

PS:
Excuse me for my crappy English. It's usually better... I don't know what's wrong with me right now. :?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

"Lady I only speak two languages; English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element".
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Hahahah...

"Identify yourself."
- "I am a meat popsicle."
:P
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

regarding "where gameplay" is moving on, i believe it's juat a tendency which is mostly PC originated. i think that console games still have something to offer, however from many sides other than that i'm hardcore PC fan. recently besides older PC games i've started to play SNES games via emulators and SPS games (like first Silent Hill) via emulator too. pretty good.

regarding DOOM 3. expectations make it all - agree! i was looking at leaked alphas and pre-betas and you know what - that helped me a lot! at least i was surprised that release game looked a WAY BETTER! so my negativity already was very much blown away... regardinggameplay - i can't say much bad things about DOOM3. however it's full of stupid decisions. flashlight issue was discussed on ANY doom 3 forum, but what most of all made me sick was monster spawning. i can count with fingers of one hand (maybe just a little bit more) when monsters appeard good. but that usual "somebody appeard behind your back in a room where you cleaned everything" sucked sooooo much. especially rooms where no mosnter had no way to get in! that sucked a lot...

from all other terms, i think what actually must be mentioned is tech. johny carmack might have his medal for technology innovations and "pushing"... i imagine BLOOD made on Doom 3 engine with some Pentium 7, GeForce 8, 5Gb RAm etc. and 22 inch wide-screen mitsubishi monitor... that'd definitely be cool!
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

*Being the Dark God Tchernobg, I use my powers to bring this thread back from the dead*

Doom3 in my mind is one of the better games released more recently. I mostly play older games from the 1990's, and Doom3 is one of the few relatively recent games that I was impressed with. If you are looking for an experience like Classic Doom, this is the wrong place to turn. But if you want a solid shooter (especially one that runs on Linux), this is a good game to get...

Just my two cents...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

It's a solid engine, but I hate how "stiff" it "feels" to play.

I can't stand the gloss mapping in this game! UGH! They could have toned that down a bit. Everything is glossy! :-x People are shiny...

Gotta give id software credit on the game tho. Honestly, I never enjoyed it very much. It was a little fun.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Slink wrote:It's a solid engine, but I hate how "stiff" it "feels" to play.

I can't stand the gloss mapping in this game! UGH! They could have toned that down a bit. Everything is glossy! :-x People are shiny...

Gotta give id software credit on the game tho. Honestly, I never enjoyed it very much. It was a little fun.
You may have a point with the gloss mapping, that was a little overdone...

Personally, I like Doom3's rigidness myself, it really made the game feel solid and polished. I downloaded the Unreal Tournament 2004 demo awhile back, and I was not all that impressed with it. The physics and modelling seemed too loose and uncoordinated, and the graphics were worse than Doom3 and yet it was not all that much faster. In the end I just forgot about it and went back to playing Quake III. The only engines which have really done a “looser' feel properly were Build and LithTech, I am not a fan of Source or Unreal engine wise. But that is just me....

Here is waiting for the idtech4 source code release...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Each engine (and each game thereon) has its own signature feel, and somehow makes the game "who" it is. Blood had that feel that we were trying to replicate. (It's kinda hard to do.) ;)

Certain games leave you seething with apprehension and worry that you won't move correctly (like the Theif series) and it just adds to the experience. Doom3 had it's own as well, of course. :) I think that's a more diplomatic and artistic way of looking at it.
alenshowbrizz
Rat

Post by alenshowbrizz »

I played this game many times but some gamers has to trouble in this game. I think its a very difficult game but i will suggest to you all gamers if you ahve every weapon, as well as lists of cheat codes, cabinet codes, and easter eggs knowledge about this game so it will be very nice and easy.