ATARI ANNOUNCES BLOOD REMASTERED!

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

ATARI ANNOUNCES BLOOD REMASTERED!

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

From ggmania news website!
https://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=blood-re ... AsoOuJ7mUk

"Atari has announced that Nightdive Studios will revamp the classic Atari-owned adventure-horror PC title Blood. Originally developed by Monolith Productions and released in 1997, Blood remains a fan-favorite and will receive enhancements to improve the action-packed, horrifying game experience. The team working on the game at Nightdive Studios includes lead engine developer Samuel “Kaiser” Villarreal, whose previous work includes The Original Strife, Turok, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil and, most recently, Forsaken Remastered. Additionally, developers Edward Richardson, James Haley, and producer Daniel Grayshon will be working on the project. "

Also a couple of links!
https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/7/18129 ... dive-atari

https://www.pcinvasion.com/1997s-blood- ... e-studios/

https://www.pcgamer.com/1997-horror-sho ... ming-back/
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Re: ATARI ANNOUNCES BLOOD REMASTERED!

Post by Gila »

Interesting
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

So it's basically Blood on a wider screen with networking. 😎

I hope they don't cut out the reverb on the audio.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Well I'm guessing that because Atari is involved that the source code is available for Nightdive?
If that is the case I'm hopeful this wont be something half-assed.

I'm all for someone trying to remaster the old game.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

My no nothing speculation would be to look at Kaiser's involvement, as it was his kex engine wrapper that provuded a work around for Doom64's proprietary situation. Blood's legendary source code issue could be dodged with a similar setup.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Holy crap. This is gonna be awesome. Kaiser has done great with both Turok, Forsaken, and now this. I may have to make my own overhaul mod for this.

This is it guys. I can see Blood getting a well deserved sequel if this goes well.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I have decidedly mixed feelings about Nightdive. While it is obviously great that they are a Linux and DRM free friendly developer, I find the performance overhead on The Original Strife: Veteran Edition to be completely unreasonable for a remaster of a game from 1996, with it not even running on my brother's laptop and making my GPU fan sound like a jet engine taking off. They have also dragged their feet or simply muddied the waters on a number of things in the past. I have yet to try either Turok of Forsaken though, and them having Ryan "icculus" Gordon on board now does give me a bit more confidence.

The way they have handled PowerSlave EX also makes me a bit worried about M210 and the future of BloodGDX. :phantasm:
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I think it's in the best hands available right now. I wouldn't trust anybody else with it when it comes to bringing back an old classic game with updated support for modern hardware. They did very well with their last releases so I think they've got it figured out more so now then ever before. Let's just hope and pray it does well and people start paying attention to Caleb again.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

User:Gideon has been trawling news articles and Twitter feeds and has collated some more information on it:
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Fut ... _Announced

No original source code is used, and Atari only holds limited distribution rights to the game apparently.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Yeah, i liked a lot the ports of Turok 1 & 2 remastered by NDS, same with Strife, new options for graphics are very cool and you can still go back on original options.
LIke i said in the bloodlines forum, it's a door opened, opportunity to show how Blood is good.
Maybe nothing will happen later, maybe i dream too much but well, who knows what can happen.

At least, even if there is nothing more after a port, i suppose an official port can bring new fans in the community for a time again. also for some people: not java based and not legal like BloodGDX, i like a lot this port, m210 is a nice guy and it helped the community to stay alive but i feel like we need everything who can help at this point :(
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Manhs wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 01:27 am Yeah, i liked a lot the ports of Turok 1 & 2 remastered by NDS, same with Strife, new options for graphics are very cool and you can still go back on original options.
LIke i said in the bloodlines forum, it's a door opened, opportunity to show how Blood is good.
Maybe nothing will happen later, maybe i dream too much but well, who knows what can happen.

At least, even if there is nothing more after a port, i suppose an official port can bring new fans in the community for a time again. also for some people: not java based and not legal like BloodGDX, i like a lot this port, m210 is a nice guy and it helped the community to stay alive but i feel like we need everything who can help at this point :(
I agree 100%. We need all the help we can get. And I think ND is perfect to make this port. Plus I love the engine they use to make these games happen. Easy to mod.