Humor In Maps

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DwayneA
Zealot

Humor In Maps

Post by DwayneA »

Blood is said to be a game of dark humor. I've included some humor in the LOI2, however, the humor is more lighthearted and meant to actually make you laugh. I've used some stock sound effects used in certain movies and added some jokes (complete with an occasional rimshot). LOI2: Unfinished Business promises to deliver a few laughs.

I was wondering if anyone else here has put some humor in their maps. Also, what is meant by the game having dark humor? What do you consider to be the funniest bits?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Humor In Maps

Post by Tchernobog »

DwayneA wrote:What do you consider to be the funniest bits?
I hate mimes. :evillaugh:
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

One of the best sources of humor from the Blood games IMO is Caleb and his quotes.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Or even some of the voicing in general - having Cultists theatrically scream "IT BURNS, IT BURNS!" or having the Hell Hands say in their tinny voice "I'll swallow your soul."

Also, good to see you around again dosgamer000. :guns:
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Or even some of the voicing in general - having Cultists theatrically scream "IT BURNS, IT BURNS!" or having the Hell Hands say in their tinny voice "I'll swallow your soul."
I was going to mention that too. The voice acting in the Blood games were just good all around. The Chosen in the second game had their own sense of humor and charm that made them enjoyable. It's nice to see the characters take the seriousness away from the dark world of Blood.
DwayneA
Zealot

Post by DwayneA »

Well wait till you play LOI2.
Corvin
Cultist

Post by Corvin »

I think Blood's humor in comparison to Duke3D has more replay value, and more adult like, where as Duke3D is more childish and the verbal jokes can only be had a few times without being annoyingly familiar.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

I think Blood's humor in comparison to Duke3D has more replay value, and more adult like, where as Duke3D is more childish and the verbal jokes can only be had a few times without being annoyingly familiar.
well Duke3D actually has less speaking phrases than Shadow Warrior or Blood.

Duke3D "humor" is the way it is because Duke Nukem was created as a mesh of ultra-macho action movie heroes, even in his 2D platformer days.
so the humor and the phrases reflect that. it was ok for Duke3D in 1996, but it felt really bad in Duke Nukem Forever 15 years later, it became super-dumb.

Caleb and the Chosen in Blood1 are more "original", if one can say so. also the setting and mood and gfx palette is different, so it all affects the humor as well. i think they were going for darker and more in direction of black humor.
Corvin
Cultist

Post by Corvin »

Your right, Blood defiantly has a dry sense of humor.

I remember Duke3D for the first time, I could only play it for about a year or so before I got tired of the jokes. I just imagine 14 year kids getting excited over it more and more while I was pushing myself from the play part of it. I had to turn off the duke talk to play and test things out down the road.

Blood I enjoyed much more. Still do to this day.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

well it's a matter of taste as well. i dont mind Duke3D, but DNF "humor" i can't stand

same goes for Blood 2, yeah they all (esp Caleb) speak more and recording quality is cleaner and stuff but it's borderline cheesy and campy
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

same goes for Blood 2, yeah they all (esp Caleb) speak more and recording quality is cleaner and stuff but it's borderline cheesy and campy
Blood 2 did have a strong audio presence which I do appreciate. Stephan Weyte (in my opinion) seemed to have more fun with his character than in the first title. The other voice actors were pretty good too. Yeah, Blood 2 in general is more cheesy but Blood always had that cheesy B horror movie aura to me. I think because Blood 2 has a weaker horror presence than the first one, the cheesiness of the game becomes more noticeable.
DwayneA
Zealot

Post by DwayneA »

What is the difference between DN3d humor and DNF humor?
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

What is the difference between DN3d humor and DNF humor?
main thing was that most of the original 1996 DN3D fans and players grew up.
and suddenly these type of jokes suddenly arent so funny anymore.

i dont know whats funny about throwing a piece of s*** around.
or have a game start with duke apparently playing video game while two very young teens are apparently fellating him, gargling on his "load".
its just really stupid and really juvenile. and then later when you see these twins pregnant with aliens in the alien mothership.

that kind of thing was in DUKE3D but it was a bit lighter touch, not so hamfisted in your face.

etc.
DwayneA
Zealot

Post by DwayneA »

What I don't understand is why a lot of people hate DNF and prefer the outdated DN3d
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

DwayneA wrote:What I don't understand is why a lot of people hate DNF and prefer the outdated DN3d
Speaking from a mechanics perspective DN3D far outshines DNF as well as most other modern shooters. And Blood outshines DN3D.

Not that this is exactly the place to get a receptive audience to the term "outdated" at the best of times though. :zombie: