My project: BuildSharp

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Cosmo
Axe Zombie

My project: BuildSharp

Post by Cosmo »

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure if it should go here or showcase. I've been working on a project for the last year or so that I've called BuildSharp (for now anyway) that is able to read data from the three main Build games: duke, shadow warrior, and Blood. The idea is to eventually (hopefully) reverse engineer Blood fully and allow it to be run in a windows environment. I've recently done a Facebook page that I update weekly with pictures and the odd video and planning to do a site if there is interest.

Anyway, I'll give more details later (when I get back to my computer) if anyone wants further information.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: My project: BuildSharp

Post by Tchernobog »

My first question is how does your project differ from the likes of BloodXL. Are you attacking the problem from different angles or is there a chance that you might be able to help each other?
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

Tchernobog wrote:My first question is how does your project differ from the likes of BloodXL. Are you attacking the problem from different angles or is there a chance that you might be able to help each other?
I'll admit that I'm not totally clear how BloodXL or the XLEngine are attacking the problem, mainly because there isn't much detail (that I have found) in the wiki or the forums regarding Blood, it's data, and the interpretation / conversion of said data. I can only assume this will come later after DaggerXL is more developed.

As for differences, I'm solely looking at Build games. There's no reason why it could do more (with the scripting plans I have, anything is possible) but the main focus right now is Blood with the possibility of duke and shadow warrior (although they have already been done several times over) and maybe redneck rampage (though I never played it before purchasing it on gog). It's written entirely in C# along with XNA (although I plan to convert to MonoGame) over C and C++.

In terms of help, I may be able to help with anything to do with interpreting some of the data files from Build / Blood and converting to 3D polygons. Things such as the SEQ files, PLU files, and a few other bits and bobs (although quite a few have come from Rebuild, Transfusion, or the Russion Blood site (forgotten it's name, sorry!). I'm currently working on reverse engineering the extra data from sectors (just finished and posted a quick video btw), walls, and sprites (I haven't found this documented anywhere) so that may also be helpful. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else I can contribute.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Thanks for the information. :)

My second question is that you only mention Windows. Is there any specific reason for this (such as relying on DirectX) or is that simply due to being unfamiliar with any other environments?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Another question for Cosmo, any chance of me talking you into another home page that doesn't require an account to simply view?
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

Tchernobog wrote:Thanks for the information. :)

My second question is that you only mention Windows. Is there any specific reason for this (such as relying on DirectX) or is that simply due to being unfamiliar with any other environments?
It's simply because I'm using xna at the moment. I'm planning to move the project to monogame when the code base is a bit more stable (the languages are very similar) as monogame (apparently) can work on many different enviroments. But that's not going to be for a while. I'm also unfamiliar with other environments and wouldn't be able to test them with my current resources (which suggests that a public beta is going to be the only way).
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

N0t_mINe wrote:Another question for Cosmo, any chance of me talking you into another home page that doesn't require an account to simply view?
You don't have to talk me into it, I already want to do it! I just haven't got around to doing anything about it as development on the project stops me from doing too much towards gearing up a site. I supposed I could do a simple google or Wordpress site, I'll try and find an hour or two this week to look into it (it won't look good though).

Anyway, as far as I am aware, the page is public and can be viewed by anyone logged in or not.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Cosmo wrote:It's simply because I'm using xna at the moment. I'm planning to move the project to monogame when the code base is a bit more stable (the languages are very similar) as monogame (apparently) can work on many different enviroments. But that's not going to be for a while. I'm also unfamiliar with other environments and wouldn't be able to test them with my current resources (which suggests that a public beta is going to be the only way).
MonoGame is indeed cross-platform and is used quite frequently in Linux and Mac ports of XBLA games such as the two titles that I am currently playing, namely Mark of the Ninja and Bastion.

And when it comes to eventual Linux testing I would be more than happy to oblige if I can.
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

Okay, it's neither pretty nor well made but here is a Google site with a brief history of what I've done so far... I'll try to keep it up-to-date along with the Facebook page as I go:

https://sites.google.com/site/buildsharp/
Corvin
Cultist

Post by Corvin »

Like the site, better than facbooks crappy un-organized look.

BME researched the QAV format aswell, you should check it out.
It's here: http://www.baitd.bloodgame.ru/bme.htm

Do you plan to make window applications, Blood really really needs them, to edit different things?
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

Corvin wrote:Like the site, better than facbooks crappy un-organized look.

BME researched the QAV format aswell, you should check it out.
It's here: http://www.baitd.bloodgame.ru/bme.htm

Do you plan to make window applications, Blood really really needs them, to edit different things?
Thanks for the link, actually found it myself a while ago... although I had actually reverse engineered QAV before I noticed it... still it's good to see that both formats matched. I've been using information from BME's site and YouTube channel for a while now to get a clearer picture of what the game engine can do outside of the game itself.

BuildSharp will be window apps, but I currently don't have plans to make editors for the things in the original Blood game itself (for example making a QAV editor so you can create your own HUD animations and save them as QAV, rather an editor that can read QAV files and create new ones and then store them as another filetype that BuildSharp can understand). The main reason for this is avoid the limitations of the build files, remove the need for conversion to 3D (which can be costly when it comes to textures) and allow for improvements such as HD textures, better sounds, etc. Also to avoid any legal issues that may arise (if any).
Corvin
Cultist

Post by Corvin »

Your welcome for link. Okay looking forward to what you come up with in the future.

Also you should talk with Matt Saettler about Blood/Build things too. He might not get your e-mail just because he gets a lot of e-mail, so keep trying.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

I've seen some updates from the 17th, any recent news on this project?
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

N0t_mINe wrote:I've seen some updates from the 17th, any recent news on this project?
Sure, I'm currently working on a new application called the Weapons Tester. The idea is to start combining elements (graphics, sound, inputs, collision detection, etc.) in a smaller, controlled environment so that I can test better than using one of the maps (as they are quite large and I'm not in control of the surfaces). So far, I've got the QAVs overlaying the world and animating, and I'm now working on actually being able to select weapons and have them raise and lower correctly in front of the world view. I can then start making them fire if you push a certain button on the pad / keyboard / mouse. This will hopefully lead to drawing particles / projectiles once I've sorted the State and event system but it's taking a while as I've been sorting out how to detect when an animation is actually finished.

There is a video of the work from last week below

I'll try and remember to update here on occasion, the Facebook page is the best place to view any updates as I can do that on my phone. The Google sites page should follow shortly after, and I'll try to post a monthly update or something here (I'll make a reminder)

Corvin
Cultist

Post by Corvin »

Theres some "new" mapformat info at DeepColdGrave Web site. might help you out. It appears to be the based on the info from ReBUILD but with some additional info.

http://www.bloodgame.ru/deepcoldgrave/w ... format.php

There is also some map reader program there, looks to compare two maps, not sure what the rest of the stuff is tho.