I'm now the proud owner of One Unit Whole Blood! ^__^

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

dosgamer000
Acolyte

Re: I'm now the proud owner of One Unit Whole Blood! ^__^

Post by dosgamer000 »

Edmond Dantes wrote:To be honest dude, you just described Wolfenstein's entire appeal.

I remember once playing some fan-made attempt to port Wolf3D over to Doom, and feeling like it was kinda lame. Apparently there's a better conversion out now tho--the one I played didn't have patrolling guards, had a damage system just like Doom's, and basically was no fun at all and was just too easy.

Then I played the real Wolfenstein, and oh god... just, oh god. As you said, one or two shots equals deadsville. And its that exact feeling of tension that keeps me coming back. I freaking love Wolfenstein, and that feeling when you're running around, looking for a pushwall that hides a health pick-up because you're down to 38% and don't know what's coming, and strategic elements like luring an enemy away so the guys in the next room won't hear your shots...
Well I don't mind a challenging game myself but I hate having to constantly look behind my back cause I'm so fragile (at least in a retro FPS like this.) Considering the original Wolfenstein game NOT made by Id was a stealth game, perhaps they intended the extreme damage calculations. Maybe I'm the minority but I prefer just going in like Rambo and shooting up everything (something that's impossible on Death Incarnate) even if I have to play on the "baby" difficulty. :P

Pushwall finding has it's charms but boy is it tedious though, I'm glad they done away with it in later titles. Treasure finding, however, I did very much like.
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

W
ell I don't mind a challenging game myself but I hate having to constantly look behind my back cause I'm so fragile (at least in a retro FPS like this.) Considering the original Wolfenstein game NOT made by Id was a stealth game, perhaps they intended the extreme damage calculations. Maybe I'm the minority but I prefer just going in like Rambo and shooting up everything (something that's impossible on Death Incarnate) even if I have to play on the "baby" difficulty. :P
I prefer trying to be stealth-like in both Wolfenstein 3D and Blood if possible, but I know what you mean.

There's no shame in playing the "baby" difficulty. I've done it myself just to ease into the game again.
Pushwall finding has it's charms but boy is it tedious though, I'm glad they done away with it in later titles. Treasure finding, however, I did very much like.
I find it too tedious myself. That's why I'll rely on thorough walkthrough by Wolf3D die-hard fans to help me out for that. :)
Edmond Dantes
Axe Zombie

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Why rely on "Walkthrus" when John Romero allowed fans to upload the hint books (which have maps) for both Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny in PDF format?
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

Edmond Dantes wrote: Edmond Dantes
Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 06:24 am
I think I probably printed those out, but I'll make sure just in case. Thanks, my good Edmon Dante!
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

@BEAST:

One of the reasons for me preferring the most forgiving mode in wolf3d is because, as far as mods and fan-maps are concerned, you have the least likely chance of screwing yourself up. One mod called Spear Resurrection (which IMO is worth money along with it's sequel, End of Destiny) has some new enemies and bosses. One of them is the Suicide Clone which is silent like a mutant (except for when it charges the bomb when it sees you) and then runs very quickly towards you to blow himself up. On the normal and DI difficulties of that game, this will usually nearly take half your health and the authors have a habit of putting them in the most unpleasant of places (standing right next to a door you just opened for example). I did beat a few episodes of original Wolf on DI and it wasn't too difficult but if I just want to enjoy a mod or fan-map, I play on the easiest just so I can go through the game smoothly. Lots of times I'm glad I do this cause some of the maps these Wolfers make would be extremely challenging on the standard difficulties lol!

Speaking of Blood, none of the enemies are big enough threats to warrant being sneaky (one of the charms of build games was that you usually had enough ammo/flexible environments to play however way you want to effectively) excluding the Fanatics and Cultists in close/mid range. They are the only hit-scan enemies in Blood but boy are they accurate and quick with their guns (Tchernobog have mercy on you if a Fanatic gets in the water!) I usually try to pop out of corners and hit 'em with the Flare Gun and wait til they burn out. Close-up, I use the sawed-off and for long range, I fire quick bursts with the Tommy Gun.

For me, the Priest/Beast is the "Archvile" of Blood. It is so fast and it's attacks hit very hard and are challenging to avoid (just stay out of his sight and you shouldn't get hit by his quake.) It might back-fire on you, but going at him with a Pitchfork and maybe a sawed-off, will make him try to claw you up-close (easy to avoid usually) and prevent him from using his quake attack. Sounds crazy but it works and it's also a good way to keep Choegh and Cerberus from using their distance attacks too.

@Edmond Dantes:

One of the things I wanted in Wolf3D was access to a map like in Doom. The iPhone version had it and I would like to see a port like ECWolf eventually add one in as well. Granted, I'm not sure if it would reveal the secrets as ZDoom does by coloring the secret doors a different shade (probably an engine thing and not intentional.)