Blood movie project

Feel the urge to display your handiwork?

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Blood movie project

Post by Tchernobog »

N0t_mINe wrote:Earth wrote:
The acting and directing overall is very cheap and mediocre
Half the things, hell, most of the things that influence Blood are "campy" at best. This isn't Shakespeare friend. Even Blood itself wasn't exactly cutting edge circa 1997.
To be fair, even Shakespere was a lot more campy and raunchy for the time than we give it credit for. :P
jijones
Rat

Post by jijones »

hows the project going?
Vanargand
Fanatic

Post by Vanargand »

Hello group! How goes the project is a question I had to ask myself several times the last month's. I'm now at the moment alone with everything. Episode 2 needs a last scene to be filmed, I need three people (me included) and have two (me included) and that very just. That and enormous amounts of work that I have forced me to put the project on dripping ice at the time beeing (I'm still editing scenes on the computer now and then). So its still open and ready to be worked on once I have the time and manpower I need. In the meanwile however I have far from abandoned the idea of bringing Blood back to the attention of game developers. What we all could do is bring up ideas. I though for example of a trailer using Blood (game) cutscenes, Caleb quotes and epic music (Isn't that much work since it doesnt need visual effects, or not many. Just flush the thing into the open! Is the Blood mod still in works? If not, is there a group of people capable to do it? I shal try visiting the forum more often, see if we can make some dust!
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Good to hear from you again Vanargand. :)

There have been some parody trailers made already by the way, but none of them as authentic as what you propose:
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Blo ... e_trailers

EDIT: Glad you brought this up, as going through that article led me to hearing what sounds a little like the Geico Gecko explain the plot of Blood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko0TH7x-m4I

:P
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Vanargand wrote:Hello group! How goes the project is a question I had to ask myself several times the last month's. I'm now at the moment alone with everything. Episode 2 needs a last scene to be filmed, I need three people (me included) and have two (me included) and that very just. That and enormous amounts of work that I have forced me to put the project on dripping ice at the time beeing (I'm still editing scenes on the computer now and then). So its still open and ready to be worked on once I have the time and manpower I need. In the meanwile however I have far from abandoned the idea of bringing Blood back to the attention of game developers. What we all could do is bring up ideas. I though for example of a trailer using Blood (game) cutscenes, Caleb quotes and epic music (Isn't that much work since it doesnt need visual effects, or not many. Just flush the thing into the open! Is the Blood mod still in works? If not, is there a group of people capable to do it? I shal try visiting the forum more often, see if we can make some dust!
Well, as long as they are people supporting a game it will never truly die. As far as getting Blood out there in the industry again I'm not too sure. Fans can't make something offical other than a mod I think. Back in B2's heyday, almost all the maps made were for multiplayer while I think ILA's mod being the only SP one finished (excluding gameplay enhancers). I was actually surprised at how little new SP maps there were because some of the Bloodbath maps I saw were truly beautiful (don't know if that's the right word to use for Blood lol.)

I just finished listening to the Monolith CD (https://archive.org/details/TheMonolithCD) two days ago and maybe a multimedia type thing/tribute by Bloodites is the way to go. It would appeal to many different types of gamers at least with it's content. Either way, I believe that as long as you keep the spirit of a game/movie/whatever alive (like you are with your movie project, someone will ultimately take notice.

Oh and Tchernobog, it's funny you mention that video because I saw bits of that LP yesterday!
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Personally I think another film would be great. It's your time energy and stress of course, still I hope to see you continue.
Vanargand
Fanatic

Post by Vanargand »

Like I said. Working on it. To be honest, the worst thing is the eyes of Caleb. The red shining effect needs to be adjusted at every frame, and since its two eyes they mostly need to be perfectly synchronised. Looking for a solution to that problem since it eats just way to much time. If anyone knows an affordable method or program that has a good solution, please point it out. (Tried with contact lenses, but it just wasn't the same.
Vanargand
Fanatic

Post by Vanargand »

Hello everyone. I spoke with a friend who wors with graphiks and makes artistic movies for music bands, commercials and other things. He said the last movie was good, but gave the hint that since I cannot make the effects look realistic, might as well go completely over the top. Been thinking about that and the last dais I received the "Hellsing ultimate" episodes 1 - 8.... Damn was I impressed! Its bloody, dramatic, gory art. And I thought that if someone would take Blood into that kind of movie or series! Im going to propose to some people to try and make a small action sequence with small cuts, over the top expressions and gore, perhaps use visual effects to make it anime stile... Need volunteers, but I think that would be a kicker. I wont use Hellsing soundtracks for it, but please listen to this track, I have taken inspiration of it for the tone that Blood should have, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFZjegvE6OA
imagin Caleb grinning into the camera raising his shotgun, Zombies and Cultist disappearing behind blood explosions, Caleb laughing his ass of, Tchernabog appearing in the skyundead god confronting each other with the music in your mind. Perhaps you'll get the picture I got. Looking for hard earnedvacation and then I'm gonna give it a try. Please tell me what you think.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

One should remember that Blood was never meant to take itself too seriously, despite what some people will tell you. It was always primarily about campy fun, so taking your film in such a direction would not even be that great a departure from the source material.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Vanargand wrote:Hello everyone. I spoke with a friend who wors with graphiks and makes artistic movies for music bands, commercials and other things. He said the last movie was good, but gave the hint that since I cannot make the effects look realistic, might as well go completely over the top. Been thinking about that and the last dais I received the "Hellsing ultimate" episodes 1 - 8.... Damn was I impressed! Its bloody, dramatic, gory art. And I thought that if someone would take Blood into that kind of movie or series! Im going to propose to some people to try and make a small action sequence with small cuts, over the top expressions and gore, perhaps use visual effects to make it anime stile... Need volunteers, but I think that would be a kicker. I wont use Hellsing soundtracks for it, but please listen to this track, I have taken inspiration of it for the tone that Blood should have, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFZjegvE6OA
imagin Caleb grinning into the camera raising his shotgun, Zombies and Cultist disappearing behind blood explosions, Caleb laughing his ass of, Tchernabog appearing in the skyundead god confronting each other with the music in your mind. Perhaps you'll get the picture I got. Looking for hard earnedvacation and then I'm gonna give it a try. Please tell me what you think.
I heard the song and to be honest, I was never a fan of "epic" opera music in video games. It's not that it's bad, it just that perhaps its been done so much that it gets tiresome after awhile (or maybe I don't like opera). I have heard of Hellsing as a few Bloodites compared Caleb to Alucard in both appearance and personality. I have never watched the anime but over the topness in Blood is always enjoyable as long as it is not over done (enemies bleeding WAY too much, every word out of Caleb is a one liner,etc.) Blood's story was rather tragic with Caleb loving Ophelia enough too be with her during her recked emotional state after losing her family, being killed by your boss for doing nothing wrong and losing your wife in the process, and then in Blood 2 being alone for 100 years with the only 3 people he cared for gone. Caleb is a pretty deep character if you analyze him enough and he does have some human emotions left (loving Ophelia a decade after death, tolerating Gabriella/Ishmael, sometimes choosing not to kill innocent people.) The best combo is to balance the humor/gore/action with some seriousness and character development.

Regarding anime-style, below are links to scenes from a recent game called Metal Gear Rising which is proud of it's over the top violence. There are many gameplay vids online to view but below are scenes of a particular villian called Sundowner, who, IMO, is much like Caleb with a senseless love of killing, grim humor, and even has a gruff Southern accent (Caleb's from Texas). His theme is also below which I could see fitting in Blood with the bloody picture its lyrics paint. MGR is a hack-n-slash with swords but if you replace that with pitchforks, sawed-offs, and grim atmosphere you'd get something in same vein as Blood.

Sundowner Scenes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VBQOiQC-jk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JsQnuNv0No
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrFT8Tkg6L8
Sundowner's Theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPJ7x9iMw0
Tchernobog wrote:One should remember that Blood was never meant to take itself too seriously, despite what some people will tell you. It was always primarily about campy fun, so taking your film in such a direction would not even be that great a departure from the source material.
I agree completely, the Blood series had a great mix of camp/dark that not many games I played could replicate. Some say Blood 2 over did it but I disagree, I blame this on lack of time to fully polish and finish the story and gameplay. For example, most of Caleb's dialogue is witty quotes which is fine but the lack of story moving moments and TBH the slightly shoddy cutscenes imbalances the humor over serious story. There is seriousness to Blood's story and things are not played for laughs at times (the death of Ophelia and the movie where he crements her).
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

dosgamer000 wrote:I agree completely, the Blood series had a great mix of camp/dark that not many games I played could replicate. Some say Blood 2 over did it but I disagree, I blame this on lack of time to fully polish and finish the story and gameplay. For example, most of Caleb's dialogue is witty quotes which is fine but the lack of story moving moments and TBH the slightly shoddy cutscenes imbalances the humor over serious story. There is seriousness to Blood's story and things are not played for laughs at times (the death of Ophelia and the movie where he crements her).
That is a fair critique, as a lot of Blood II's story depth had never finished being added to the game by the time the publisher forced it out the door. They had wrote it, they had planned it, but were forced to leave much of it out, which is deeply sad. What I find interesting is that some people have the exact opposite opinion, stating that Blood II is a lot darker and more serious than the original game, which is something I could never agree with. They point to Blood II's graphics being more realistic, but they are actually also highly stylized, especially for a non-sprite based game. Blood II is also more Lovecraftian and a lot less Gothic, but that does not make either game more serious than the other. So the claim falls flat to me.

And you are completely correct that Blood is not just a comedy and has plenty of great character and story moments, something that keeps it out of the unpleasant realm of pure parody. It is similar in a way to Red Dwarf; the show is one of the few very successful science fiction comedy programs ever made because it had a world and characters of its own and was not just another pure comedy program parodying Star Trek, Star Wars, or any other such thing. They presented a realized world to build on, and that makes the humour not just more original, but also a lot more approachable. Blood always benefited from the same thing.

This is another reason why I so openly embrace fan works - they do wonders when it comes to building on the game's universe depth, especially the numerous works of fan fiction, which more fully explored the ideas presented in Blood II than even the game itself was allowed to do. Just read "Dying Times" and you will see what I mean. :)
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Lis ... ying_Times
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Tchernobog wrote:
dosgamer000 wrote:I agree completely, the Blood series had a great mix of camp/dark that not many games I played could replicate. Some say Blood 2 over did it but I disagree, I blame this on lack of time to fully polish and finish the story and gameplay. For example, most of Caleb's dialogue is witty quotes which is fine but the lack of story moving moments and TBH the slightly shoddy cutscenes imbalances the humor over serious story. There is seriousness to Blood's story and things are not played for laughs at times (the death of Ophelia and the movie where he crements her).
That is a fair critique, as a lot of Blood II's story depth had never finished being added to the game by the time the publisher forced it out the door. They had wrote it, they had planned it, but were forced to leave much of it out, which is deeply sad. What I find interesting is that some people have the exact opposite opinion, stating that Blood II is a lot darker and more serious than the original game, which is something I could never agree with. They point to Blood II's graphics being more realistic, but they are actually also highly stylized, especially for a non-sprite based game. Blood II is also more Lovecraftian and a lot less Gothic, but that does not make either game more serious than the other. So the claim falls flat to me.

And you are completely correct that Blood is not just a comedy and has plenty of great character and story moments, something that keeps it out of the unpleasant realm of pure parody. It is similar in a way to Red Dwarf; the show is one of the few very successful science fiction comedy programs ever made because it had a world and characters of its own and was not just another pure comedy program parodying Star Trek, Star Wars, or any other such thing. They presented a realized world to build on, and that makes the humour not just more original, but also a lot more approachable. Blood always benefited from the same thing.

This is another reason why I so openly embrace fan works - they do wonders when it comes to building on the game's universe depth, especially the numerous works of fan fiction, which more fully explored the ideas presented in Blood II than even the game itself was allowed to do. Just read "Dying Times" and you will see what I mean. :)
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Lis ... ying_Times
Ah, Dying Times was a good fic; I liked the part were Caleb was thinking about Ophelia's stealth tactics in the warehouse IIRC. Yeah, I heard about GT's pushing of that game out the door which caused alot of stuff to not make it. Our favorite white haired CEO Gideon has alot of unused quotes in the REZ file which could of easily played during his boss fights (heck, they could've even made a Bloodbath character too.) Just Gideon as a character could of had so much depth and character development in Blood 2, he already contrasts pretty well with Caleb:

- Gideon's for the Cabal, Caleb's against.
- Gideon wears white, Caleb wears black.
- Gideon portrays himself as intelligent/sophisticated, Caleb is a bit of a ruffian with a foul tongue who loves to fight.
- Gideon prefers to manipulate underlings/subtlety to get the job done, Caleb is direct and let's the gun make his point.

You see where I'm going. Blood 2 is probably to me the ultimate "what could have been" game. I love B2 as it is but you could tell Monolith wanted to do/add more.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

dosgamer000 wrote:You see where I'm going. Blood 2 is probably to me the ultimate "what could have been" game. I love B2 as it is but you could tell Monolith wanted to do/add more.
This is one of those "ah, somebody who gets it" moments right here. ;)

The most interesting aspect of Gideon in Blood II that I feel was missed was his originally intended role as narrator. It still comes into play in several places - he narrates the opener and the Nightmare Levels - but he was originally going to give summing up speeches at the end of each chapter, as is evidenced by a few of the recordings in the rez file.

But we have kind of stolen your thread Vanargand - my apologies. :oops:
Vanargand
Fanatic

Post by Vanargand »

All very interesting replies! I love the directions discutions can take when interested people are involved! :-)
I will give my idea a try once a good occasion is there. Besides that I am planning a movie project other than Blood, something that is more presentable in my region. A scary movie with subtle effects and good scares. I hope that that will open up better possibilities and support for projects like Blood, by expanding the almost inexisting team I have! I will keep in touch with this forum concerning that project too if you guys desire it!?
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Vanargand wrote:All very interesting replies! I love the directions discutions can take when interested people are involved! :-)
I will give my idea a try once a good occasion is there. Besides that I am planning a movie project other than Blood, something that is more presentable in my region. A scary movie with subtle effects and good scares. I hope that that will open up better possibilities and support for projects like Blood, by expanding the almost inexisting team I have! I will keep in touch with this forum concerning that project too if you guys desire it!?
OF COURSE we desire it! :D Your blood movie project is badass! Especially since you yourself have experienced the Blood universe firsthand and are apart of it's community, you definitely are able to keep it faithful to the games. Any questions, critiques, progress updates, and suggestions are MORE THAN WELCOME! Good luck with all your projects! :wink: