Atari filing for bankruptcy.....AGAIN

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Atari filing for bankruptcy.....AGAIN

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/01/t ... te-deaths/

Could be one of the reasons Jason Hall stopped talking....
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Re: Atari filing for bankruptcy.....AGAIN

Post by dosgamer000 »

Speaking of Atari, is there a site that I can find the status of IPs/rights of video game franchieses (including Japanese), ILA? A while ago, Blood's IP "died" and no one could make another Blood-related product (I'm probably wrong as I don't remember everything exactly, correct me if I am.) I ask because I know a game that's kind of in the same boat as Blood right now and I want to know it's status.

About Jason Hall, he was in discussion with Atari regarding the rights and his updated version of Blood, right? I hope this won't interfere with Blood's future negativity as an open source (I think that's what he was pushing for) Blood would GREATLY help the community and Blood itself. Just look at what it did for Doom.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

This is actually a post duplicate Joe:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2548
dosgamer000 wrote:About Jason Hall, he was in discussion with Atari regarding the rights and his updated version of Blood, right? I hope this won't interfere with Blood's future negativity as an open source (I think that's what he was pushing for) Blood would GREATLY help the community and Blood itself. Just look at what it did for Doom.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but he was quite clear that he was not talking about a free software release. I agree that a source code release is almost always better than a modern port, but he quite clearly stated that was never on the table.

*goes back to playing dhewm3 and yamagi quake2*
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

just to reiterate tcherny's point, Zdemon was the Doom port Jace compared his project to. So it's going to be an exclusive community and port.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Tchernobog wrote:This is actually a post duplicate Joe:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2548
dosgamer000 wrote:About Jason Hall, he was in discussion with Atari regarding the rights and his updated version of Blood, right? I hope this won't interfere with Blood's future negativity as an open source (I think that's what he was pushing for) Blood would GREATLY help the community and Blood itself. Just look at what it did for Doom.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but he was quite clear that he was not talking about a free software release. I agree that a source code release is almost always better than a modern port, but he quite clearly stated that was never on the table.

*goes back to playing dhewm3 and yamagi quake2*
N0t_mINe wrote:just to reiterate tcherny's point, Zdemon was the Doom port Jace compared his project to. So it's going to be an exclusive community and port.
Yeah, I figured I was wrong about something, thanks for making it clear guys.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Tchernobog wrote:This is actually a post duplicate Joe:
What the heck?? I guess I should pay better attention next time *slaps self in the face*. Dusty told me about this but I swore I didnt see any posts here.

Sorry for news hijacking guys!
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

@ Joe.

No worries man. I've done some news jacking myself recently with the Jace Hall port news stuff. It was short sighted on my part and I should have known better. All bridges under the water though so we'll use your post seeing as that's where the discussion is happening anyway.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I thought of Blood as soon as I heard the news. :-/
ZedSlayer
Axe Zombie

Post by ZedSlayer »

If they do go bankrupt, can't Jace or someone else just buy the rights? I figure it could work out like this THQ franchise selling thing.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

As I expected. Atari has put a halt on Jason Hall's plan of whatever he was trying to do.

I hope he doesn't stop trying but it looks dead for now.
Quote from another forum:
Dear Blood Community:

I just got an unusually short, one sentence e-mail from Atari, letting me know that given the current set of circumstances, they are choosing to decline to proceed.

Obviously, I am disappointed. Particularly given Atari's continued encouragement along with the amount of time, effort and correspondence that I have put into this venture.

The only thing that can be done at this point is to wait and see what happens with ATARI, and hope that they find themselves in a position and mindset to allow my efforts to continue on this matter at a future date.

Tears and Sadness,
Jace Hall
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

What a shame...but at least Mr. Hall tried. Even so, they could still have a change of heart like he said. I hope for the best.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Colour me not surprised. :|
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

For those with cash to burn, it seems you actually could buy the IP rights to Blood.
Atari seems to be selling everything:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... sets-logo/
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

How large is Jace's chequebook? Actually, come to think of it, he could also go the crowd-funding route when it comes to magicking up some cash for this, assuming he could nail down a price. I am sure there are enough people interested that something like a Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign could generate a not that large but still respectable sum when it comes to actually buying the rights. Assuming he could get a reliable estimate.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Mommy, it's just never going to happen, is it?
- Son, there are times in life when you just have to "accept".