qBlood Idea

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

BEAST
Zealot

qBlood Idea

Post by BEAST »

As many Transfusion historians would know, this was the working title for Transfusion, and even though the title cannot be used anymore (for copyright reasons), the name itself has some intruiging possibilities.

While Transfusion attempts to almost completely recreate the game blood, with all the textures, enemies, levels, weapons, and the effects intact, why not create a Quake mod that just alters the Quake enemy models to resemble the Blood enemies, alter some of the weapons to resemble Blood weapons, and features simple blood colored or gothic looking levels? Basically, why not create a simple Blood mod for Quake that requires less work, and maybe some creative fun? For a proof of concept, how about designing a Quake styled monastary, dark blood colored, of course, featuring reskinned Grunts and Enforcers as Cultists and Fantatics, and the Ogres could be reskinned to be Axe Zombies, except without the chainsaw and grenade throwing function (and probably thinner than the Ogre). OR, the Knights could be reskinned to be the axe zombies. It doesn't have to be a strictly faithful Blood game, since the design would be more Quake-like, and therefore make the game more surreal (depending upon the skills of the level editor). It could even feature a Quake styled boss in the end, similar to Cthon, a freakish giant abnormality rising from a sea of blood, which you would fight from a small dock.

This is all hypothetical, but what would any of you see in a probable project such as this, and would it be an interesting project to pursue, or just among many lame ideas offered by other Blood enthusiasts.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I can tell you from my experience that the early qBlood builds felt like you were playing Quake with different textures. The biggest difference is in physics. The player model just does not move like it does in Blood.

Now I understand your talking about it not being exact, but if someone made a mod with Quake I would certainly try it.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Many of us have toyed with this concept before. As we've seen in some of the Transfusion threads, TFN code is useful in earlier builds that had yet to break quake compatibility. I doubt all the TFn code that was written after that is incompatible with quake btw. Still any project that moved ahead with such an idea would involve nearly as much time and dedication as it would take to just go ahead and finish sp transfusion.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Personally, I wouldn't mind at least playing as Caleb with his weapons and sound effects through the original Quake. :guns:
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I'm with you Ransu!
However most people who have developed Blood mods in the past seem to think thats not enough :D
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

Yeah, it would be a cool idea to have a mod where Caleb finds himself in the Quake dimension. Imagine Caleb preying upon the other Lovecraftian monstrosities through his gruesomely humorous methods. Would have to incorporate a lot of Blood dark humor into the level design. For example, a few shamblers holding balloons in a Quake carnival are gunned down by artillery nail guns from the ceiling.

I'm glad that the concept is considered. I was considering more of a three or four level mod, probably for Dark Places, or for the original Quake, but though even with a simpler design, it could require a lot of work, equal to Transfusion (for the hardest Transfusion workers of all, I pledge my allegiance to!). It might even take too much effort to create a Blood-esque Cthon-like boss for a mod like this, let alone recreate Tchernobog on the Dark Places engine (come to me, my child! let us Embrace at Last!).
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

This sounds like a cool idea. I haven't played Transfusion in years but can't you run straight Quake through Transfusion?

All this Quake talk reminds me of the tricks I used to have to pull to get Quake running on my 8MB machine back in the day...

Anyone remember TMBot? ^^
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Clar87 wrote:
This sounds like a cool idea. I haven't played Transfusion in years but can't you run straight Quake through Transfusion?
5 or 6 public releases ago, you could play quake with transfusion models. I don't know if they still have that build over at sourceforge though. It had to be through quakeworld, or winquake, or something along those lines.

Yes, it would be fun to use the flare gun to give that ogre bastard the slow death quake never managed.

I was TMBot. :|