Extracting GFX, audio etc

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

da_weezle
Acolyte

Extracting GFX, audio etc

Post by da_weezle »

Hello my fellow bloodites! Fluent time has floated past since we last met. I have dwelled back into this lair to ask for specialized advice...

I'm thinking about doing a sort of side-scrolling 2D Blood-inspired shooting game. And my idea for this project was to extract the graphics and audio (sound effects) from the original Blood game and use it for my evil intentions.

Since I was never really into modifications of the game other than my beloved MAPEDIT, I am at your mercy for a suggested approach to this problem.

What I mainly want to do is get all the sprites in some (commonly) readable format, preferably with the transparent key color as a background.

With bloody gratitude,

A fellow bloodite
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

use barf.exe with the proper options (like barf.exe -x sounds.rff), i don't remember exactly. 2d shooter blood is a good idea, i had it way back when blood was released, because i saw great russian DOOM2D game which was a 2D platformer using all the DOOM gfx/sfx resources, it was fun and even had split-screen deathmatch. as you can guess, it never got past the idea stage. it would be more awesome to mix in some elements of the latest castlevania games, i.e. huge areas, items, a very tiny bit of rpg stats/exp/leveling up, etc.

barf and sounds.rff will help you get the soundfiles out, but they are in raw format so it will require more tedious work converting them to proper WAV/VOC files. the graphics are stored in tiles*.art files, use editart.exe to extract the textures/sprites. it's normally not in the standard blood editing tools package, so you'll have to google around. it was so long ago, so i don't really know, maybe there's some powerful blood resource extractor that will get the job done in a couple of minutes.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Yeah I was looking about with ARTEDIT and EDITART a bit. The former doesn't seem to be able to export anything and the latter just gave me a black screen when I quickly tried it. Maybe a command line arg or something to be added (?).

Sound isn't exactly a pressing matter for the time being, but of course I will need it down the road, or the game will feel like playing Scrabble... on acid! :evillaugh:

... but still, only Scrabble. :shrug:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

You should be running either from an oldskool Dos or Windows 98 machine, or from DOSBox.

IIRC, editart will spew a slew of .pcx files from the art file. There is some command in editart.
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Take a look at the ReBUILD page. My guess is you want the ART tools, Sfx2Wav and RFF (or their GUI counterparts). Prebuild Win32 binaries for the command line tools are available from the snapshots page
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Exactly what I was looking for! I knew I came to the right place to ask. :P

Hopefully I'll have some time over the weekend to actually do some work on this, so I'll try and keep you folks updated.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Extracting GFX, audio etc

Post by Tchernobog »

da_weezle wrote:I'm thinking about doing a sort of side-scrolling 2D Blood-inspired shooting game.
You should probably know there is already such a thing in construction:
http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Th ... rm_Shooter