Anyone with a PS3?

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DustyStyx
2D Artist

Anyone with a PS3?

Post by DustyStyx »

I'm debating on if I should get a PS3 or not. I understand that you can run Linux on it and I'd like to know if anyone has any numbers as to how well DOSBox preforms.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Well, I have it, and I actually really like it in general, but yeah I don't have Linux on it. I can't say I can help there.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

I heard like one good thing and one bad thing about it. This is just someone else's opinion and not mine.

Good: "The graphics are amazing!"
Bad: "You have to install the games onto the hard drive!"

So yeah, if you're just getting it for the Linux to play DOSBox then that's pretty nice. :)
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Well, I plan on getting one of the 320 2.5" SATA drives to plunk in there... screw 20gigs. Fallout 3, UTIII and SW:The Force Unleashed are all looking might fine and they are supposed to be out for the PS3.

Necrosis, try and install Fedora or Ubuntu and tell me how well it preforms : :D

Post by Guest »

Mostly, you can even play Doom Source-Ports in it, but it's not possible to play DENG, for example, since there are some serious limitations.
I doubt you'll ever be able to play Transfusion on any PS3 :?.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I was more concerned about how well Blood would run via DOSBox on it.

There have been a few hacks that tap into the PS3's GPU, however Sony keeps "patching" the firmware and the hacks mysteriously disappear... or so I've read.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

DOOMLancelot wrote:I heard like one good thing and one bad thing about it. This is just someone else's opinion and not mine.

Good: "The graphics are amazing!"
Bad: "You have to install the games onto the hard drive!"

So yeah, if you're just getting it for the Linux to play DOSBox then that's pretty nice. :)
No, you don't HAVE to install games, not always anyway. And certainly not the whole game. It's more like, common data such as HUDs and character models gets loaded onto the hard drive to reduce load times. Virtua Fighter 5 certainly gave me an OPTION to install the game to the hard drive, and again, not the whole game, just the universal stuff. Also, of course games you download are gonna be installed on the hard drive, to expect otherwise would be silly. >>

I might try that actually, but probably not, just because I'm not sure how well that would work. >>
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Devil May Cry 4 requires some data be installed on the HHD of the PS3. But in the end it improves loading times.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Well, yeah, I mean there are a whole bunch of games that require some stuff to be installed, out of the ones I own I think it's just Folklore and Resistance or something, but it's not like you're copying an entire blu-ray disc to your hard drive. It may add up eventually, but unless you have a ton of PS3 games you keep playing, I fail to see it being a problem.
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

DOOMLancelot wrote: Bad: "You have to install the games onto the hard drive!"
Wow, that's just a big lie there. :)
You don't have to install games wtf, lol.
Demo games I downloaded yea, but everything else, pop in the disc and play. Heh, gotta love those comments from people who obviously never tried PS3 ;)
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Are you... actually playing this thing?

o.O
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

And why not? It's got good games. They may not be MUST HAVE good but there are some fun games on here. For example, I really like Folklore, even though all I heard before playing it was that it was terrible and there's no reason to own a PS3 when you could be playing [stolenjoke]Call of Halo 5: Gears of Madden 09[/stolenjoke] on the 360. :/

yeah honestly I think the above stolen joke actually summed it up REALLY well, hence why I stole it. :/

edit: just realized you MIGHT have been talking to other people, haha. I'll leave it here anyway in case you were talking to the people actually playing the PS3. :V
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the thing at all. I just remember mouth always said he preffered PC gaming only. But hey, people's tastes change over the years.

Hell, my Bro has a PS3, so maybe if I find an appealing game I might get it. If I'm right, an NTSC PS3 can play PAL PS3 games too, correct?
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I do believe the PS3 is region free.

Also yeah honestly I do prefer PC too, but you can't get console exclusives on PC. :/
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Ah, I stand corrected, Necrosis. Touché. ;)
-Slink