Glitch in Painkiller

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Ransu
Cheetah

Glitch in Painkiller

Post by Ransu »

Whenever I start the first map of Painkiller, my guy falls through the ground into the void and dies. I even patched it to the latest version and it still does it. Can anyone help me?
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

You mean the original Painkiller? The cemetery level?
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Yeah, the original Painkiller. Very first level of the game. I just fall through the map.

Nice owl avatar by the way. :P
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

That's strange, you mean you installed it out of the box without modifying any settings and you just weren't able to play the first level? Then you patched the game and still had the same problem?
I've never had this issue and never heard about it (in PK). Do you actually spawn in the map but fall down as if there was no ground?
Did you try modifying some game/graphics settings?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Did you uninstall before reinstalling?
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Yes predator, I just fall through the map as if the ground wasn't there. Slink, I had the demo version installed but I uninstalled it before installing the full version. I also tried different graphics modes and those didn't help either. I never had this problem in the demo version.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Okay, you patched the game after discovering you had this problem.... or did you patch it right out without even playing it.

Painkiller is very stable for most, and most people don't even need to patch it. But the latest version of the patches are designed for Painkiller: Battle out of Hell, not the standard retail Painkiller.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

I patched it after discovering the problem and it is the Battle Out of Hell expansion. The original game is what I'm having this problem in. Battle Out of Hell doesn't do it at all. If there's some fly hack for the game then I'd love to have it just to get past this.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

There is no noclip or fly cheat in Painkiller.

This is odd, I've never heard of anyone encountering this problem before.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Well this sucks. I guess I'll just have to skip to Battle Out of Hell then.... :(
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

There's got to be a way around it... by skipping to the expansion your missing a lot.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

I'm not sure what else to do though... There's no level warp cheat either. The only interesting thing I did find was that they're working on a movie based on the game. If anyone else has a suggestion then I'd like to hear it.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Question: are you playing this game on a 2-core CPU for the first time? Some games just wait for the next available cpu command, regardless of which core you use.

If YES to dual core, and you are on an AMD cpu, go to AMD and get their "dual core optimizer".

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 06,00.html
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Mine is Intel Core Duo and I couldn't find an optimizer on their site.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I'm not sure if you are out of options with that chip, but you didn't answer if this is your first time running PK on dual core. I presume it is?

Apparently, you're only option with Intel chips is "The Microsoft Hotfix".

See the following link, and scroll down to Fix #3: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781

There are more fixes following that one, but FYI, I have never had luck with "RunFirst" the affinity setter.

Check this out: I assume you have Win XP. You can manually set the affinity of a Game's process by hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del, right clicking the game task in the "Applications" tab and selecting "Go To Process", or by finding the process in the "Process" tab's list. After you locate the process, you simply right click it in the Processes list, select "Set Affinity" and the rest is simple enough. Try to run it on Core 0 (zero) instead of 1.