Blood 2 Content Question

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

If new singleplayer Blood 2 levels were released....

I Still have Blood 2 installed, I would just need a REZ file
47%
I can install B2 easily, make a REZ
41%
I have B2 but what the heck is a REZ file? Make an installer for me.
6%
I am interested in playing them, but I cant find Blood 2 anywhere.
No votes
I have an old B2 CD but it's a pain to install and get working, I'll pass.
No votes
Blood 2 sucks, I dont care.
6%

Total votes: 17
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Blood 2 Content Question

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

The combination of having a little extra time lately and seeing Kurt's great work has got me messing with my Blood 2 maps again. I actualy figured out "objective triggers" tonight which was something that has really been holding me back from singleplayer maps. Dedit is really powerful but the lack of any good documentation makes some things really hard to figure out. (Kurt, you know what I mean :D ) I have made many multiplayer maps in my time but SP is a different story entirely.

Anyway, I have some maps that I have been working on and could be finished with some of them soon. My question is what would be the best way to distrubute them.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Go for it I say. I remember trying to get used to Blood 2's map maker, but I had a hassle just trying to get my test maps to run.

A total shame because Blood 2 has a really fun pallete I would like to have worked with... The Nightmare Levels even more so. I also like the wider range of weapons.

If you do end up doing anything for Blood 2, could you make sure it runs with FXE4 and the cultist REZ files. They, in my opinion, make Blood 2 an uber fun experience.

:phantasm:
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Cultists are easy enough, but I am not talented enough, nor do I have the free time for an all-out MOD ( I'll let Kurt deal with that)

This will mostly be Single Player levels made with "Blood" in mind, trying to keep the tradition alive in B2. I have different textures and sounds but mostly I will be using content from the original game, just in different ways.

I want to release levels when each is ready rather than a whole pack of levels, it will give us something to do while we wait for Kurt :D
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

That sounds like a great plan, ILA. It'll be nice to see some new content for this old game, from someone other then me. :)

As for the distribution, all anyone needs to do is stick the rez file in the custom folder. So that shouldn't be too hard for people to figure out. The editor on the other hand is a different story, as ILA mentioned. But it is a powerful editor with a whole lot of options, and it all becomes pretty straight forward once everything is figured out. I do plan on eventually creating some good tutorials, if anyone else might be interested in creating some SP levels someday.

I'll definitely enjoy seeing some new levels, and I'm sure there are others who might enjoy them as well (even if they don't want to publicly admit it) :wink:

Hopefully though, the levels that you create will still work ok once I've overhauled Blood 2. But since the wait for me may be lengthy, I also hope that you have plenty of those levels to keep people occupied in the meantime. :lol:
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

kurt wrote:I do plan on eventually creating some good tutorials, if anyone else might be interested in creating some SP levels someday.
*ahem* times infinity. :wink:

The Shogo tutorials, which ILA kindly referred me to sometime back were helpful, but it would be nice to see a B2 related tutorial somewhere out there in cod universe...

predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

First option for me. I'd just need a rez.
It would be great to play some SP maps ILA. :D
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

there were actually alot of things I liked about Blood 2. Alot of the maps made for the game just werent up to snuff, like the subway level. Maybe if I had seen some gothic settings such as graveyards and things I would have liked it much better. Besides that though, the main beef for me were the physics. It didn't feel like you were shooting people, more like shooting a bunch of computer graphics or something. No sense of impact.

I'll happily play whatever comes down the pike though.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Thanks, you will be happy to know gothic settings and graveyards are my favorites also. I hated the city levels and Cabalco in B2... however, the motel level was pretty cool.
Zardoz
Fanatic

Post by Zardoz »

ILA, are you going to release material before kurt is finished?
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Do your best ILA. I'd play it, just like Kurt's.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I am going to get some stuff out there real quick I think, and release levels as they are done and just keep adding them to the rez. That was we can play stuff and I wont get overwhelmed with trying to release a huge project all at once.

I have 2 maps to get out in the next week or so I think and I have about 6 more that I have done partial work on that I will get working on again after I get some stuff out to play.

I posted these screens somewhere on the forum before but I cant find them now so I will just post the links.

http://home.comcast.net/~jvolante6/Screenshot47.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jvolante6/Screenshot46.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jvolante6/Screenshot45.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jvolante6/Screenshot44.JPG

Basically the theme/story is, Caleb is p*** at Ishmael (I never liked the Ishmael character anyway) and is out to destroy him. However since Ishmael is one of the Chosen, he proves to be a hard person to get at and throws alot of obsticals in the way, including enlisting most of Caleb's familiar enemies from B2.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Nice screenshots, ILA, and the story sounds interesting.

It's funny that I was considering having the chosen insult Ishmael throughout the game. I guess he just has that negative effect on people. :lol:

But, I will be looking forward to playing all of these new levels. :D
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Overall, it looks good. A bit too dark, maybe?

Flashlight plz. :wink:

I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

:lol:

I remember us discussing this a looong time ago. It is a pretty dark level, thats why I really havent put many screenshots up. It's not as dark as Doom3 but it's dark enough to where there is a nice atmosphere of not seeing some bad guys until they are almost on top of you. A flashlight will be there but it's not a necessity like in Doom3.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Dark levels in FPS games usually irritate the pants off me.

In Blood 2's case, I think I can hear myself swearing at some carefully placed shakaris after they snipe at me with their awful vemon.

Also, Blood 2's flashlight is a bit naff (at least on my computer). It's quite weak and it tends to flicker a lot.

Silent Hill this ain't.

There's always night vision though... so there's room for forgiveness. :wink:

OHBYTHEWAY: I really really really think you should consider enemy and weapons/ammo balance with FXE4 rez in mind. It fixes loads of stuff in Blood 2 and altogethers makes it a much more enjoyable (if slightly too easy) experience.

In my opinion, no one should be moaning about Blood 2 if they haven't played this REZ. It's that good.