Black spiders?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Okay, everybody get outside, now. You guys ALL need to chill. DD, he has certainly made some "belittling" comments to some extent, some of which were jokes that non-mappers could not relate to.

DD, You have to realize that NOT EVERYONE HERE HAS PLAYED AROUND WITH MAPEDIT.

For you non-mappers, here are some items that WORK in Blood, but you would only know it if you put them in a Blood map YOURSELF (or if someone else did it) as they were not PLACED in any Blood maps IIRC:
ASBESTOS ARMOR: Temporary invulnerability to fire damage.
MEDICINE BAG/POUCH: Heals i think 30+ hp
BLACK SPIDERS: wtf? I remember messing with them a LONG time ago.
ETC.

DD was sarcastic. The only difference between his sarcasm and ANOTHER MEMBER'S was verbosity and punctuation.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa wrote:Now, I like DD, and I can respect him for the time and effort he has put into the stuff that revolves around much of this community, but to respond to anyone, let alone someone somewhat relatively new to the forum, in the way that he did is outrageous.
"Relatively new?" What? :?:

I agree, DD tends to be arrogant, and incredibly enthusiastic.

DD, come on, man. Just because someone doesn't know what you are talking about AND challenges it, doesn't make them a moron, nor does it invite a lengthy duel of wits.

Please save us the reading: Cut to the chase and prove whatever point you must with a single post, include a picture, or something other than fact f*ckery, and don't be a silly ass about it.
IMO, THAT is the way to "win". Personally, I prefer to "pwn" people in that manner.

Let me say that even if you are right about something, being a jackass about it makes you...a gloating jackass. If you are WRONG about something, being a jackass makes you...well...a wrong jackass.

Let's NOT SPEND MORE TIME ON GARBAGE
PLEASE ENJOY DISCUSSING BLOOD AND ITS QUIRKS!

Your homeboy,

-Slink
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Marvellous! Look at the energy and stimulation my actions have wrought! Look at all these nice little things coming together now! Not people, but ideas, opinions, input, transactions, yes, brothers, transactions even!
Slink wrote:Amidst all this f*ckery, let me ask: do black spiders ACTUALLY do anything different from green or brown spiders? I don't think they do. Damage perhaps?
Slinky, Slinky, Slinky, please know that still I love you, but this is precisely a part of the whole of my discussion! The page referenced by the OP, that is, the source of this entire discussion, was referenced and quoted by myself and Wangho even presented his own take on it with a map of his own, hence he has experience.

Still I am disbelieved. Twice now I have stated the effects of the black spiders and still it is contested. Why is my input refused? What prejudice has been cleverly pulled over the eyes of the members here?
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change. It might have been fun and games once, but continuing to belittle other people in here is not on.

Contribute positively, not with arrogance.
It is a deep regret of mine that you never seem to have opened your heart to the opportunity of being amicable towards me, Kazashi. Please know that I hold no grudge against you on the issue. I will address the arrogance issue at the end of the this post.
RRG wrote:Sorry Wangho, but as you attempted to condone this, I felt no option but to reply and take Kazashi's side. I agree with him. Those posts upset me too.

People who join FAN SITES probably do so because they enjoy talking about a particular topic of interest that interests other FANS, not to be talked down to by people who, for some reason or another, think they have the right to do so.
Let's clarify. Not once did I call the OP ugly, or use ad hominem attacks, or mention that his dad's impotent. Not once did I call him a Naruto fan or a virgin nerd. Not once did I tell him he's inadequate and shouldn't play Blood because he's not sufficiently skilled.

I educated. I inspired. I brought the truth, the facts of Blood to light. Amidst an ocean of half-truths and speculation I stepped forward and shed light on the topic. Perhaps you find my tone disagreeable? Would you perhaps have preferred 'Oh, lawls, um i theenk that teh black spydurs mite have been coded but there might be sum um im not 2 sure'. No. None of it. I presented fact and brought about clarification swiftly and truthfully.
Slink wrote:DD, come on, man. Just because someone doesn't know what you are talking about AND challenges it, doesn't make them a moron, nor does it invite a lengthy duel of wits.

Please save us the reading: Cut to the chase and prove whatever point you must with a single post, include a picture, or something other than fact f*ckery, and don't be a silly ass about it.
IMO, THAT is the way to "win". Personally, I prefer to "pwn" people in that manner.
Ah, dear Slink, you misunderstand my purpose for being here. I am not here to "pwn" or "win". There is no personal victory for me here. There is no "I" in Blood, or even Plasma Pak. I am here to enlighten and inspire. I am here to awaken the beast that doth slumber.

I couldn't care less if someone wants to disagree with me, but disagreement with Blood lore is unnacceptable and I, at the very least, won't tolerate it one bit. It is these shades of grey, half-truths and half-arsedness that are murdering Blood.

Since the overall tone remains one of defiance, I present imagery to finally lay this topic to rest:

Presented above:

-- A mapedit shot of the black spider as an enemy (there are only three in retail maps, the fourth, but third in the list, is the black spider)

-- A mapedit shot of a Black Spider as a valid data entry

-- Black spiders and their lesser cousins in action in-game (note the different colorations of the black spiders)

-- Black spiders continued

Note that, for those of you who noticed and have gotten this far (i.e. beyond Dark Carnival), this is Shial's Lair. I used this as a base for the image. Black spiders are not present in Shial's Lair in retail. They are added. Black spiders exist, but not in retail Blood episodes.

For clarity I present the variation between the spiders here for a final time, in bold, hoping that it'll be accepted this time; black spiders have more health, the same damage, but more potent toxin effects than their green cousins, nearly blinding the player completely.

And now what? Will you continue this lunacy and call me a fraud further? Perhaps I doctored these images? Tread carefully, for Blood offers me a final card I've yet to play if you should continue to question.

Now we come to the least important part of my post -- the part involving me.

A recurring theme here seems to be one of calling me arrogant. http://www.dictionary.reference.com presents arrogance thusly;
ar·ro·gance /ˈærəgəns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ar-uh-guhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.
Also, ar·ro·gan·cy.

Point out one location where I mentioned my superiority over anyone here. Perhaps you'd like to suggest that it's implied? That is utter nonsense, friends and frankly I'm insulted for you not having given me the benefit of the doubt.

In fact, it is devious arrogance on your part to continue to attack the information I present, considering the OP asked about information on a page on The Postmortem. A page which I wrote, for that matter. Shall I be silent and allow lies and half-truths to be spilled to this young man, or shall I step in and provide some firmness here? Blood commanded no less of me.

The greatest evil of all, that strikes my heart hardest, is that I am looking to reinforce Blood here and yet I am attacked. Is that the general attitude this place has developed? If not for the page over at the Postmortem, this OP would've never found his way here and this scintillating discussion would've never existed. (Why he posted here rather than the Postmortem forum about it is something of a curious mystery, but Blood's a free universe.)

So, what'll it be? Shall we "discuss and hash-out" the Blood universe, and in doing so, honour it, or is it just that much easier to remain in our comfort zones as silent lurkers and attack DD? While the latter certainly has some exciting enterprises associated with it, I must implore that we yearn for the former.

Strength and honour!

Edit: Grammar error corrected.
Last edited by Daedalus on Tue Nov 06, 2007 09:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

That was indeed the longest post ever :shock:

I must rest after reading it.
Hellen
The Eye of Beast

Post by Hellen »

Daedalus wrote: ar·ro·gance /ˈærəgəns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ar-uh-guhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.
Also, ar·ro·gan·cy.
I wonder why this quotation is so familiar to me! :lol:
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

I think it was Daedalus' enthusiasm and energy that made me take a look at mapedit for the very first time. Now I'm creating a monster addon with RedF
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

DD is incredibly zealous about anything when it comes to Blood and its perfection when being crossed or misunderstood. More than enough to live up for his name. Sadly certain points are beyond my understanding. :?
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

I don't mean to sound rude in response to RedFanatic and Daedalus, but I didn't just show up yesterday. I know who DD is, I know the persona he puts out, and I know he knows an awful lot about Blood. I don't have a problem with him acting the sage, detailing the Blood universe and hashing it out with his fellow Bloodites.

Daedalus, you challenged us to state when you have appeared arrogant:

Oh, so very, very wrong. That should've read; 'intended to be included, but didn't feature in retail Blood. "

....Posty Monster Stats Well, sh-t (oh, lol, we aren't allowed to use curse words here? Forgive me, I thought the rating of Blood was mature!), what is this?....

....If you had sufficient patience to actually click, read and interpret the information I posted above....

....Perhaps your defiance gives you a feeling of strength here? Perhaps denial of Blood and myself brings you some feeling of reality and comfort? No. I shan't tolerate it. Now, are you willing to go on my word, or must I shatter your decidely turgid beliefs with a fistful of truth and reality? It is well within my power. Will you believe me, or will you continue to resist?....

Now to address your latest post.

Nobody dismissed the input you provided. I don't know how you got that idea - all I asked was to clarify your previous post, for the reasons I mentioned previously. Other people asked the same thing of you; whether the information on that webpage is everything there is to know about black spiders. More HP, bigger bite and nastier poison, we get it (even though it wasn't mentioned on the page). Don't bother to make yourself a martyr to the cause, because nobody but you is entertaining the delusion that nobody's listening.

Amicable? I don't know how to go about this, because I find it personally insulting. For years you have visited this forum, in all that time I have let you post, I have done nothing to hinder you, dissuade your character, until now when you come in on a cloud of arrogance. I can be amicable again, if you temper your attitude. There is no problem with enlightening and inspiring. There is a problem with arrogance and belittling other people, which you continue to do by presenting a condescending attitude.

You weren't attacked for reinforcing Blood, you were attacked for the reasons I have just mentioned. This site has nothing against you, there is no conspiracy, no plot to have you disrobed or dishonoured or whatever. Don't treat everybody like cattle, and you won't get trampled on.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

jesus!

daedalus, get a life.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Yeah. What Kazashi said.

...and when I asked about the black spiders doing anything, I merely missed what you'd said earlier. WHOOPS.

Any conversation or debate here is not necessarily of good nature. If it is started for the wrong reasons... well, you get the picture.

Take a CHILL pill, you eloquent spaz, you. I have always loved you, DD. CHILL, man.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Daedalus wrote:Marvellous! Look at the energy and stimulation my actions have wrought!
And with that, I stopped reading your post. The length of it itself seems to tell me enough.

It's not necessarily what you say. It's your attitude.

You choose to embrace the previous responses. You do that... I won't be contributing to this thread any further unless we start talking about black spiders from a neutral perspective once more.

UPDATE: I have a few questions I'd like people's thoughts on.

1) So why don't black spiders appear in the retail levels? Could it have been the original make?

2) If black spiders were in the retail levels, would you have preferred to see them with their own power (like jojo syndrome and temporary blindness)? If so, what?

3) Was the team right not to include them in the retail levels?

Personally, I am glad that I have discovered a thread that touches on the unused stuff in Blood. The first thread of its kind that I've come across.

Furthermore, I am asking these questions directly to EVERYONE. So let's have fun, yes?

:phantasm:
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Wow! That's an unbelievable amount of time and effort wasted, just to provoke people into responding. Unfortunately Daedalus, while you may be attempting to be somewhat humorous, the result is that many people seem to feel insulted by your attitude.

Not only have you wasted your time with these over long condescending posts, but you have wasted mine as well. Somebody please give Daedalus another project to work on. :lol:
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

seconding gila, yeah i mean ffs

all in all it's just a horror inspired video game it's not a religion or your brother.

Reinforcing ego just to settle what was cut and what was not on a game you didn't develop is just damn ridiculous. You know no more than anyone else outside of Monolith knows.

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

kurt wrote:Somebody please give Daedalus another project to work on. :lol:
But there already is such a project. The question is if there is a point to it.
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Oh cmon people, read again what Daedalus wrote and laugh at the genius that is his humor! His posts are pure LOLZORS :D
Many are acting as if you don't know him. I can't believe some of you are attacking DD (we can still call him DD? Cool :D). He's always been a calm and a cool guy, never ever once did he bash anyone. His zealous and theatrical replies to Blood questions have always been that way. It's all with good intentions really.
Cmon, let's all lighten up, and not take everything so personal. :)
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

I realize Daedalus's intent is humorous. But readers of this thread may not appreciate his condescending approach, or lengthy meandering posts. People can be a little sensitive when they feel they're being spoken down to, even if it's all done in fun.
Dimebog wrote: The question is if there is a point to it.
There's always a point in doing something that other people can enjoy. Unfortunately though this thread isn't one of those things. :lol: