Why is Ophelia's voice in Blood 2 not Texan-sounding?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Why is Ophelia's voice in Blood 2 not Texan-sounding?

Post by guest »

According to the little backstory supplied in the Blood manual, Caleb is supposed to be a Texan gunslinger. I got the impression from the narrative that he found Ophelia Price and the burned out homestead somewhere in Texas. The use of the term "homestead" in the context of 1854 would seem to suggest that she was found if not in Texas then in an undeveloped near-wilderness area in the American Midwest or perhaps California. The story also states she is "well beyond the bounds of sanity" and that she blames the "cowardice" for her husband for the death of the child after the cultists had come calling, which suggests a certain emotional reliance on a husband as a protector figure.

So, based on this story, if I had to imagine the character of Ophelia Price I would imagine her with a Southern or possibly Midwestern American English accent. Even if we suppose that she would have migrated out west from somewhere in the Northeast or the East Coast she would at least have an American English accent, and I would argue that if she had spent any long amount of time in, say, Texas that she would have slowly picked up the local accent.

So why in Blood 2 did they decide to give her a British-sounding accent? Of all possible accents that seems like the most unlikely based on the backstory. Also, isn't the Blood 2 description of a stone-cold sniper kind of at odds with the emotionality attributed to Ophilia in the original Blood backstory?

Anyway, you guys are clearly the experts when it comes to the Blood universe, so I look forward to any thoughts and comments you may have.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

consistency in blood 2? AS IF !!
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

in blood1, it's stated that caleb's soul rises from the grave in the body he doesn't know. besides, gabriel is resurrected in a female body in blood 2; so let's just set it as that - they are something of a powerful souls which occupy somebody's already dead bodies. problem solved.

not to mention that initial idea of blood 2 was that game starts right after caleb finished resurrecting the 3 dead chosen and then the adventure starts. so i guess caleb snagged some bodies did some magic sh1t and voila.

they later changed their mind it seems.

Post by Guest »

To address the question of Ophelia's accent in Blood 2, Caleb found Ophelia around 1871 as you stated, on a homestead. Homesteading was prevalent through out the west at that time, though much more of it was done in Kansas than in Texas (1,239 in Texas between 1870 and 1898 vs. 29,000 in Kansas, 1871 alone) I don't really see Caleb as a homebody, so wandering up to Kansas or anywhere in the west really wouldn't be to far fetched.

As for loosing an accent, my own father is from England and has been in the US for over 30 years now and he still sounds like a Brit. Granted when we go back to visit family the locals will often ask where he's from, so his accent has evidently changed, but not enough to single him out as being an American.

Gilla: I think the quote is "In a body he no longer knows" If you've ever been laid up in bed , unconscious and not moving for a week or so, you muscles will begin to atrophy. Trying to move after something like that happening and your body really does feel foreign. I don't think it means that he's in a different body. As for Gabriel, yeah, that's just odd.

Addendum 20081104: I should probably add, the act of Homesteading, was an effort promoted by the US government to help populate the scarcely populated western territories beginning in the mid 1800's. Basically it was giving away free land to anyone that had a mind to cultivate it. This attracted the down and out of the east coast as well as many immigrants from Europe.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

*shrugs*

ah, f$%k it :)
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

Well, The truth is the Developers NEVER CARED about what kind of accent their CHAR gets, they worried about getting money and ignored all that minor stuff. If you ask them a question like that they'll kick you and laugh as you was insane.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

DustyStyx wrote:Gila: I think the quote is "In a body he no longer knows"
Whew! I pooped a little when Gila said that...
Ghoste wrote:Well, The truth is the Developers NEVER CARED about what kind of accent their CHAR gets, they worried about getting money and ignored all that minor stuff.
Probably (especially in B2), but you never know. Besides, I bet you aren't familiar with American accents... ;)

Stephen Weyte performed deliciously in B1. YEAH I FU**IN' SAID DELICIOUSLY. SO?

-Slink

Post by guest »

Wow, thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I'm especially impressed by the statistics produced by Dusty.

See, now I think the quote at the beginning of Blood should be, "We're not in Kansas any more!" ;)
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Yeah the way i understand it, theres This world and the OtherWorld:

This World is earth and humands and stuff

The OtherWorld is where The one that binds comes from and all his demonic beast's, minions, ect, ect,
And after years of service on earth Caleb and the other 'Chosen' are for all intents and purposes Killed, and buried.

And the first Cut scene shows us the Chosen inside the other world, then it all go's off and Caleb is flung down through the worlds' back into his body,
That as we are told has 'refused to rot' .

He heads off on his rampage, visiting the Earth bound homes of the Demon world generals to collect the Essances of his fellow chosen and finally reaches The halls of epiphany (a place sort of between worlds) and the rest is history.

But then comes along Blood 2 and they TOTALLY ignore this brilliant story, ressurect the Chosen WITHOUT any explanation, invent another 'BadGuy' Gideon with no connection to anything in B1 and hire a bunch of Z grade voice actors for the poor Chosen.

But if we have to live with the B2 choices then my explanation would be that, Although the original host is best (and an automatic fall back) if the body (like Gabriel's was) is compleatly destroyed (his was eaten, then blown up) A new Host body would have to be found, thus we get Gabriella.
Hellen
The Eye of Beast

Post by Hellen »

RedFanatic wrote: and hire a bunch of Z grade voice actors for the poor Chosen.
Lani Minella a Z-grade? :shock: I don’t think so!
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Okay perhaps a bit harsh, but it's just they made such goofy characters out of the Chosen it annoyed me :?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

RedFanatic wrote:Okay perhaps a bit harsh, but it's just they made such goofy characters out of the Chosen it annoyed me :?
*grabs stamp marked, "approval"
*stamps post
;)

-Slink
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

witty Slinky... Slinky witty....wait...I thought this was gonna rhyme.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Ophelia may have been born in England and moved to Texas afterwords. Accents can live for a long time. My farther has been in Canada for over 30 years and still has a very New Zealnd accent (thouhg a little more mild now). I even have bit of one from him, and I have lived in Canda all my life!
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

RedFanatic wrote:invent another 'BadGuy' Gideon with no connection to anything in B1
um....

Gideon is the Cabal, in a desperate state to keep their power when there supernatural control has been lost by Caleb's meddleing. Seems connected to me.

http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Gideon