Need help with playing add-ons in multiplayer

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Ransu
Cheetah

Need help with playing add-ons in multiplayer

Post by Ransu »

Me and a friend are trying to play Cryptic Passage in multiplayer. We tried launching BLOOD in DOSBox through setup and set the user map to CP01 but the textures are messed up and the skybox is just doing a "hall of mirrors" effect. Is there some way to launch Cryptic Passage and other add-ons correctly without things coming out bad?
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

If CPART07.AR_ and CPART15.AR_ were renamed to Tiles007.art and tiles015.art Blood should load the Cryptic Passage textures.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

you have to either create a bat file that renames them or go the better way - use cpmulti.exe.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Thanks Gila. I found it at this site: http://www.sunstorm.net/downloads_cpmulti.htm
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

boss429 wrote:If CPART07.AR_ and CPART15.AR_ were renamed to Tiles007.art and tiles015.art Blood should load the Cryptic Passage textures.
any reason why they would HAVE to be renamed Tiles0007 and 015? Couldnt I just name them any number and they would show up? My custom art that I added does not overwrite anything
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

becaus back in the days of cryptic passage release blood was updated only to version 1.02. and blood didn't use "tiles###.art" files that were higher than 15. so in order to insert new textures they used free spots in existing files (that's why they use 015) and they modified the logo (that's why they used 007).

i think it was since one unit whole blood came out it became possible to have additional textures stored in files tiles 016-018 art (maybe up to 023).
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Gila wrote:becaus back in the days of cryptic passage release blood was updated only to version 1.02. and blood didn't use "tiles###.art" files that were higher than 15. so in order to insert new textures they used free spots in existing files (that's why they use 015) and they modified the logo (that's why they used 007).

i think it was since one unit whole blood came out it became possible to have additional textures stored in files tiles 016-018 art (maybe up to 023).
Didnt know that. I changed007 and 015 to 019 and 020 nad they know show up in mapedit, even though they DID overwrite old art, however it is art I dont need anyway (except I DO need Blood:The Movie). I was always told you cant have Plasma and Cryptic art at the same time, but they both appear to be working ok together. This is great, a bunch of new Cryptic art to work with :)
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

you can have plasma and cryptic at the same time. but let's say:

you run cryptic passage, which changes two art files.

your pc locks up and you have to reset it.

then you try playing plasma pak and wadda ya know - you'll see some weird missing texture magic when fighting beasts in the final level of post mortem, because plasma pak actually has some sprites and textures in the places which were empty in original blood.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Gila wrote:you can have plasma and cryptic at the same time. but let's say:

you run cryptic passage, which changes two art files.

your pc locks up and you have to reset it.

then you try playing plasma pak and wadda ya know - you'll see some weird missing texture magic when fighting beasts in the final level of post mortem, because plasma pak actually has some sprites and textures in the places which were empty in original blood.
yearh, now I notice that at least one Plama art file wont work, not the clothing display, but the jar display that is found in the first map in Plasma Pak. The art for the swimming Beast is missing also..
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

and the pods are not showing up neither. Now, my PLasma art wont work at all and my maps wont boot. Uh oh. So whats the workaround? Isnt there still a way to make a certain map contain Cryptic art and another have Plasma art and then have these working in the same addon? Now im finding out that Cryptic and Plasma art just shouldnt mingle. Damn, I was giddy there for a second
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

plasma and crypt art are not intended to work together
create your tilesxxx.art (number depends on version of blood)
i'm not sure blood reads additional art files but most build games do
or replace unused tiles in existing tilesxxx.art with what you need