ÐÐ's Tales of Undisputed Interest

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

ÐÐ's Tales of Undisputed Interest

Post by Daedalus »

Blood for blood.

They promised many things.

"Faith is the key," they said. "Faith will show you the way." And I believed them because I wanted to believe.

But faith must be proven. I learned that the first time I wrapped my fingers around the haft of the ritual dagger to demonstrate my devotion to the One that Binds. They had not told me about Him, but there would be many lessons in the weeks to come. Unthinkable lessons. And a name to carry like a thorn in my conscience, a name never to be spoken aloud lest He hear me: Tchernobog.

All I've earned by my labor and my sacrifices are more and greater promises. I've carved my soul to shreds in service of the Cabal. What little humanity I retain is corrupted by the Beast, which has grown stronger with every life I've taken. Well, the time has come to sate its appetite and bite the hand that feeds.

Vengeance lies at the end of a long, bloody road through the very estates of the damned. Pity only that I have no greater weapon than this old pitchfork with which to still the rustling of leathery wings and douse the gleam of the eyes in the darkness. But I will exact blood for blood from my adversaries and send them back into the shadows between the world of the living and the land of the dead. This I vow."

Doesn't sound like anything Caleb would say, does it? More of a glimpse into the old Caleb, I would think. Was the old Caleb going to be more of a hero than our present anti-hero?
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Ever noticed that certain monsters in Blood send chills up your spine in certain situations?

Think of dark water and hearing a gillbeast in the distance. Think about how alert you become.

A severed hand in the dark is a terrible adversary.

Does anybody here, like me, freeze when they hear a cultist cry out in the distance and after hearing it look in every direction?

What about a quiet passage with the sound of water dripping in the distance... you're moving around carefully and suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, a phantasm attacks and screams? Damn bad stuff at night, sir.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

For this is the beauty of Blood. Observe:

You know the game in and out you've mastered all your weapons. Certain situations still test your skills. Enemies will still surprise you.

Have you ever had the pleasure of moving around and it's too quiet, so you turn around and see zombies right in your face? Terrible stuff with the Bloodlines' Butlers... made me jump out of my seat twice!

Blood is more than a game. It is a game that must be played with your heart, not your mind.

Do not look at the crude (by today's standards) graphics, ignore it all... look past everything. Become Caleb in his situation. Carefully evaluate every predicament and challenge.

Each level is not some programming with a pretty appearance, each is an adventure.

A well made Blood level is like a good book. It shows in the fact that user-made maps can be very good or utter s***.

Today's games can easily cheat and make loud noise and silly looking things to make you scared. These are like cheap thrills in movies.

Open your heart to Blood. It doesn't shock the senses - it shocks the soul.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Think about this! When you play Blood (especially for the first time), isn't there that moment... sometimes it is brief, sometimes longer, when you forget about everything and the whole situation becomes real?

Your life is on the line.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Woah! What a huge dollop of info, DD. :D

The reason why most levels "feel like their own adventure" is because of their secondary themes. The morgue... The ghost train... The Hotel... The Haunting (did I mention how much I LURVE that level? The Midi music doesn't really go with it though :? )

Did anyone ever feel that anti climax after completing a level and then starting a new one that changed the tone too much? I didn't enjoy completing the last two levels on EVEN DEATH MAY DIE because it takes you away from the cold and into the underground. In comparsion to previous levels, those last two felt like a chore.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

You are always welcome in my thread RRG.

Episode 4 is the most terrible episode for 'destroying the mood'.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Many people seem to dislike episode four. For me it's The Way of All Flesh - but only because I'd played it to near death on the shareware version. I like E4M4 - That Friday The 13th theme runs throughout the whole damn level. It rocks!
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Episode four is disliked because the levels barely follow onto each other. The theme is constantly changing.

Episode 1 - Fantastic follow-on levels
Episode 2 - Sticks with the cold mood
Episode 3 - Sticks with the city and metallic mood
Episode 4 - Castle leads to houses leads to forest leads to temples leads to inside a body leads to Hall of the Epiphany

Come on! Episode 4 is ridiculous!
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Hey, I like that "inside a body" level. :lol:
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

The weapons and their strengths :

Pitchfork : Effective if you can circle strafe around your opponent, try to hit him with all four prongs for maximum punishment.

Flare pistol : Poor around corners and has a very strong auto-aim. Secondary fire is expensive.

Sawed off : Single barrel is more effective for long range, if you have fired a shot and wish to reload without firing the other shell, switch to another gun and change back. Get guns akimbo for no-reload action.

Tommy gun : Mobility is the key here. Effective at medium-long range - too much spread at extreme range. View the secondary fire as a deadlier close range attack and not as a spread attack. It is preferable to use secondary fire at close range.

Napalm launcher : If your opponent dodges too well, try to aim for the floor beneath him. The chances are that the burning will damage him enough to make him retreat. Use secondary fire only if your opponents are in a cramped area.

Dynamite : Simple enough. Look down somewhat for a nice long-range toss. Try using secondary fire and dropping it when it's almost burnt down completely to fool your opponents.

Proximity : Try to place in concealed areas, lifts and on ledges that players have to leap onto. You can also drop them behind you if you retreat to prevent pursuit.

Remote detonator : Easy enough, toss it a bit shorter than the desired target to get it right at his feet. If you blow him into the air, switch to the sawed-off and shoot him before he lands.

Spray can : Attempt to blind an opponent with the flames and try to take an opponent by surprise. Very ineffective if your opponent spots you first.

Tesla cannon : Use at fairly close range, try to shoot at an odd angle to ensure that your adversary can't dodge the rounds. Use secondary fire against a wall if you suspect you're being chased. Secondary fire is excellent for tight quarters.

Life leech : Although dishonourable, try to spray it and hit as many opponents as possible. The life leeches soul stealing flames take forever to put out and only the most well equipped (or quickest) opponents can escape the burning. Place the secondary fire turret mode in a popular combat area and near spawning points. Players who are ill-equipped will often avoid those areas. You can also guard entrances to areas containing powerful weaponary.

Voodoo doll : Always use primary fire. It blinds your opponent and makes him holster his weapon. Often opponents will retreat out of frustration. Use at extreme range as an opponent with a sawed-off nearby will make short work of you. If your enemy comes too close, try using the secondary fire. It's worth the gamble. It will distort your enemies vision and pervert his aim. You can easily kill him off with any other weapon while he is dizzy.

Possible counters for each :

Pitchfork : Stay away :)

Flare pistol : Try to find rugged terrain and keep a medbag handy. Keep near water to douse the flames if you get hit. The flare pistol can't operate well on slopes, use this to your advantage.

Sawed-off : Try to keep your distance with an excellent ranged weapon. Always duck as only a few of the shells will strike you, decreasing your damage taken.

Tommy gun : If you have a flare pistol or other ranged weapon, keep far away. If you have a sawed off, weave and bob until you are near to your opponent and duck. This will force your opponent to duck which decreases his mobility - which is important against the tommy gun. Never try to jump when facing an opponent with a tommy gun. It makes you a very easy target. Jumping and ducking in mid-air is a counter.

Napalm Launcher : Two different approaches here; try to find open space, so that the fireballs are easy to dodge, or, if you're feeling brave, smother the opponent to force him to put it away or risk killing himself. Sometimes a frustrated player will blow you up with him. Be careful.

Dynamite : Keep in the air and move unpredictably, your weapon largely depends on the action to be taken.

Proximity : Keep your eyes peeled and listen for the tell-tale clicks. Don't waste too much time and ammo attempting to destroy the mines with small arms. Rather use explosives as these may trigger off several mines.

Remotes : Run up to the enemy and destroy him. Distance is his strength.

Spray can : Keep your distance and duck a lot. Keep a medbag handy.

Tesla cannon : Bob and weave. Never stand still against this weapon. Ducking isn't too effective either as the charges still deal full damage. If the secondary shot is launched, dodge the shot and keep away from walls and blocking objects.

Life leech : Be very careful. Try to kill your opponent before he can open fire. Avoid the player's view.

Voodoo doll : Cut the distance and get up to the player. He will be forced to retreat. The doll itself is a good counter.
Last edited by Daedalus on Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Didn't say 'In the Flesh' wasn't cool, Phantasm :wink:
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

well episode 4 sucks...

not that much actually but sucks, because it seemed rushed, not exactly polished... not enough detail, and less connectivity between the levels. perhaps the release date was gettin' close
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

i have to add on the alt-fire of flare pistol.

you gotta give the alt-fire shot some room, because it splits into a "star" form only after flying some brief period of time. the 8-some of small flare explosions are really painful, while as if the alt-fire shot won't fly enough to split, it will deal crap damage...
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

One day this thread will get stickied.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Ra_Ra_Gazaa wrote:Hey, I like that "inside a body" level. :lol:
Ew, I've just thought of something really icky.

What if Episode 4 levels ran throughout the "inside a body" theme? :lol:

No prizes for guessing where you'd find the "Hall of Spliffmany"