Let's talk Blood.

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Let's talk Blood.

Post by Daedalus »

Right. It's high time we actually spoke a bit about Blood the game on this forum. Now, as usual, I have some Blood information to read if you're bored.

I tested all of Blood's monster capabilities in water. I began by making the monsters fall into water and then I began the maps with the monsters already in water. Results are as follows and I'm sure you already know most of these.

Monsters who fell into water :

Rat : Instant death.
Bat : Instant death.
Brown Spider : Instant death.
Red Spider : Instant death.
Black Spider : Instant death.
Choking hand : Horribly effective. 'Swims after you quickly. Has some problems with vertical movement, but is dangerous nonetheless!
Green Pod : N/A
Red Pod : N/A
Mini - Caleb : Very dangerous! Uses swimming animation and swims very quickly.
Innocent : Runs in circles like an idiot.
Bone Eel : Dies when out of water.
Zombie : Has no swimming animation. Runs in the water and is quite quick. Has some problems with vertical movement.
Bloated Butcher : Runs in circles like an idiot. Can toss cleavers from time to time.
Cultist : Lethal. You know it.
Fanatic : Lethal. You know it.
Acolyte : Tosses dynamite underwater without getting the 'grip of fear' hahaha... what a cheater.
Zealot : Functions just fine, swims etc. He can't fire his tesla cannon properly, however and just shoots in short bursts from time to time.
Priest : Functions just fine, swims etc. He fires in short bursts, but isn't very accurate at all.
Gill Beast : Functions perfectly fine, i.e. kicks your ass.
Gargoyle : Instant death.
Hell Hound : Instant death.
Phantasm : Functions perfectly fine.
Stone Gargoyle : Spins in circles like an idiot. Can fire at you from time to time.
Spider Queen : Mouth's nightmare. :lol: Breeds spiders but she and they spin in circles like idiots.
Cerberus : Spins in circles like an idiot. Can fire from time to time.
Beast : Swims freakily fast, but cannot do you harm. The Beast has a problem with leaving water.
Tchernobog : Spins in circles like an idiot.

These are the effects if monster are pre-placed in water.

Rat : Spins in circles like an idiot.
Bat : Has no clue as to what it's doing whatsoever. Flies a bit and... does nothing.
Brown Spider : Spins in circles like an idiot.
Red Spider : Spins in circles like an idiot.
Black Spider : Spins in circles like an idiot.
Choking hand : Horribly effective. 'Swims after you quickly. Has some problems with vertical movement, but is dangerous nonetheless!
Green Pod : Experiences collision problems. What a surprise.
Red Pod : Experiences collision problems. What a surprise.
Mini - Caleb : Very dangerous! Uses swimming animation and swims very quickly.
Innocent : Runs in circles like an idiot.
Bone Eel : Normal bone eel functionality.
Zombie : Has no swimming animation. Runs in the water and is quite quick. Has some problems with vertical movement.
Bloated Butcher : Runs in circles like an idiot. Can toss cleavers from time to time.
Cultist : Lethal. You know it.
Fanatic : Lethal. You know it.
Acolyte : Tosses dynamite underwater without getting the 'grip of fear'.
Zealot : Functions just fine, swims etc. He can't fire his tesla cannon properly, however and just shoots in short bursts from time to time.
Priest : Functions just fine, swims etc. He fires in short bursts, but isn't very accurate at all.
Gill Beast : Normal gillbeast functionality.
Gargoyle : Spins in circles like an idiot. Can attack in rare instances.
Hell Hound : Spins in circles like an idiot. Can attack in rare instances.
Phantasm : Surprise, surprise! Doesn't spin in circles! Works perfectly and is a formidable adversary.
Stone Gargoyle : Spins in circles like an idiot. Can fire at you from time to time.
Spider Queen : Breeds spiders but she and they spin in circles like idiots.
Cerberus : Spins in circles like an idiot. Can fire from time to time.
Beast : Swims freakily fast, but cannot do you harm. The Beast has a problem with leaving water.
Tchernobog : The Dark God functions perfectly in this way. Beware. :twisted:

That's all for today.
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

I found that quite interesting, its funny how almost every monsters IQ turns to 1 as soon as they fall into or are placed under water, lol though very strange and very funny but very interesting non the less.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Thanks, Liz. Too bad the monsters don't drown, though. That would've been interesting to implement.
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

Yes i am forever wondering why monsters are unable to drown, I'm not really thinking its an animation problem because really they don't need an animated death under water, there default death would be natural enough under water, maybe it was to complicated to program at the time, your right though it would be a interesting thing to happen.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Well, assuming that only Cultists and innocents could drown as the rest of the creatures are not human (and some don't have lungs).
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

but they have lava harming them why not just have all 'underwater'
sectors monster harmfull? seems simple to me but then i'm not a programer.....hmmm :P
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Gillbeasts and eels live in water and it's not quite as simple as the lava injuring the beasts, but let's count in that the demons can't survive in water if they fall in, that's a great touch.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

I would say the main assumption is "does it use lungs?" before they take damage from being underwater. Except for hell hounds where it makes sense... Gargoyles wings would screw it over so I am fine with water killing it... Or at least weighting it down, only able to "walk"

If water does damage creatures though (cultists particularly) then it needs a timer so they dont just start being hurt... give them some lung capacity. From that point you could just copy the function of the player for drowning... You could also give them some basic ai for dealing with it. When they are underwater, and they can be potentially harmed by it, have them primarily move up. If they see the player and his health is greater than 0, attack. But primarily move up, and then go around on the horizontal axis... Eventually with this, and in most underwater situations in fact, they will break the surface getting air, and can pursue dry land.

Im thinking the Phantasm was actually meant to be a water monster, considering he moves out of water, or you spawn him out of water, and he spins like an idiot ; )
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

How do Phantasms scream underwater? :wink:
Hellen
The Eye of Beast

Post by Hellen »

ÐÐ, have you tested creatures’ reaction on lava, by the way?
Lizzy
Is she coming or going?

Post by Lizzy »

How do Phantasms scream underwater?
Yes that's quite the phenomenon, but to change the topic slightly how do enemies actually manage to speak underwater? wouldn't there be some type of way to turn the enemy and character audio of once underwater, or does this require heavy programming?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Blood has no CONs, so this stuff is hard-coded, I think...
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

I think also a major problem would be passing between the two sectors
since the water sector has to be linked, you often see creatures (especially flying ones) having some problems when they have to
negotiate differing sector types so it might be tough getting monsters
in and out of water if they wanted to save them selves

Phantasems are hardly in this world anyway i don't think water should
affect them at all
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Yes, a thing like this would be a LOT easier to code in Transfusion as opposed to Blood, where in Transfusion/Quake youre just passing through a collision check that mostly plays a sound and adjusts movement type, but in Build its a whole other thing...

However you could still have them surface for air regularly (another timer, if they have 15 second lung capacity, every 10 seconds they surface briefly) instead of the much more complicated task of move for land.

True, phantasms are generally ethereal during their screams.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Well, the monsters speaking underwater is no major concern. It just adds cuteness to it. :D

Here's a ÐÐ funfact for the month : Originally Blood's sound underwater was going to be different. Explosions, bulletfire and impact sounds would become muffled underwater.

Hellen - considering you live amongst Gargoyles, I'm sure you should know their reaction to lava. Most creatures (save fire immunes and Phantasms, for obvious reasons) die on lava. If creatures begin a map on lava it increases their chances of 'running on fire forever' :wink:

But you're right, Hellen. I haven't tested all creatures on lava. I'll get to that at a later date.