old forum - Blood Feature and Version Notes

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Corvin
Cultist

old forum - Blood Feature and Version Notes

Post by Corvin »

Here are some of the stuff I had from the old forum. I think its all I got and a few messages may seem out of place, I might have removed some post that didnt offer anything.

Daedalus Deathmask

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's something for you guys to read and reply to if you're bored.

I've thought of a list of things which were going to be put into blood but never quite made it:

1. Caleb:

First of all, we all know that Caleb was supposed to have a 'beast mode'. Apparently this was supposed to increase his strength and regenerate life as he killed more and more. We see in Plasma pak that there are art files for 'beast hands' which were probably Caleb's attack in beast form. We also see the 'Chosen Priests' turning into beasts in 'Beauty and the Beast'. There is also a sound file in Plasma Pak which is the transformation of Caleb into the beast.

This would have been interesting, perhaps the beast would have great agility but perhaps Bloodbath would be unbalanced if Caleb could transform; one guy could dominate the whole level, depending on the strength of the beast. We also may not have loved Caleb as much if he were inferior to the beast.

It was also planned that Caleb would've been able to do some magic. But I'm not sure why this was scrapped and also the game would've perhaps been a bit more comical if magic was implemented.

2. Weaponary:

As mentioned before I am sure there would be some form of beast attack. Apparently the beast hands are available in Alpha blood, but do nothing.

Monolith simply didn't seem to know what to do with the next gun. There are tons of art files and lots of talk about the following weapon, but none made it into the game. I am not sure if they were all the same weapon, or separate ones. They were the nailgun / shadowgun / speargun / etherblaster / bioweapon. I think all these eventually gave way to the powerful tesla cannon.

3. Enemies:

As Gila, I think it was, pointed out. In the early pictures of Blood, they showed spiders running on the ceilings and walls. This was not complete. Blood has a bad track record of this because in Blood 2 the Shikari were shown doing the same and could not do so in the final release!

There are art files of Cultists jumping in Mapedit. This would have been quite cool. But it was probably scrapped because you'd land flat on your face if you tried to jump wearing robes.

Green/Fire pods didn't make it into the first Blood but made it into Plasma pak.

Mother pods never made it into Blood, but we can see a glimpse of what it would've looked like if we place it in mapedit. I think maybe the mother pods would produce smaller pods, but this of course is ridiculous.

It was planned in early stages that gillbeasts were able to spawn bone eels. This was scrapped, I think, because Gillbeasts are so d**n tough to begin with!

In Blood Alpha we keep hearing about a person or thing called Rachel. Any guesses as to what she/it may have been?

4. Items:

We see a host of unused items in Blood. Here they are:

We find a shadowcloak in Cryptic passage for some odd reason. I think this may have allowed a player to be invisible in shade, what do you guys think?

Asbestos armour protects a player from fire and the art of it works! I think it even weighs you down! This did not make it.

Featherfall was an item which I think would've enabled a player to fall slowly or fall and not take damage.

Ravenflight would've maybe enabled a player to fly. Perhaps like the Jetpack in Duke. That would've been fun!

There's a key7, which was obviously a reserve.

Red potions are items which restore a players health by 5 points, sort of like the potions in doom. These probably didn't make it because the idea is stupid to begin with. Interestingly, monsters can actually drop these in Blood!

Gas masks were also an item, I have no idea what these may have been used for.

Clones were items that didn't make it. Perhaps this would function like the holo-Duke? Same with the Doppleganger item.

Delirium shrooms made it into Plasma pak. But there are also rage, grow and shrink shrooms, which probably increased damage, grew player and shrank players respectively.

Wine goblet/Wine bottle/Black chest/Wooden chest/Skull grail/Silver grails are all items you can pickup but have no purpose.

5. Other:

Originally it was designed so that Caleb would leave footprints if he left water/blood/goo, while this would've been cool, it would probably have created lag and used up sprites.

Thank you! That is all!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gila

nice observations, i noticed this myself but was too lazy to write it down.

well, maybe some things worth a mention too:

1. tesla cannon was originally harthingy cannon.

2. bone eels in alpha have sprites of them 'burrowing' through the ground kind of snake-alike. probably didn't work out either.

Gila

3. about jumping cultists and cultists in general. alpha (or shareware, i don't remember now) has different 'crouch' (or 'prone') art, they do not lay on the ground, but instead cultists are drawn like if they would actually crouch/sit. quite cool too indeed.

anything else?

4. rachel - who knows what's it about, maybe it was ophelia's first name, maybe someone else, alpha of blood looks more like heretic (more 'magic' and more 'dungeon'-alike) rather than slighty 'civilized' final version of the game.

5. i dig those breakable vases animaiton in the alpha! i wonder why was this tiny feature removed... after all it's not a big deal to implement (like the beast mode which has alot of stuff to concern and to do).

Gila

6. not to mention obvious 'one or 6-or-something-bundle' dynamite. throwing one stick of dynamite was scraped for the player but for some reason is allowed for the cultists on lighter difficulties in final releases of the game.

7. blood supposed to have three different types of flares! i don't know the actual differences (it feels that i actually read somewhere about it but completely forgot), my suggestion is that maybe some were needed for the alt-fire or some explosive types...

8. there is actually a sprite for a box of bullets! in blood v1.00 i think it's even left in the great temple or hallowed grounds level at some point in a big hall, of course, the 'box of bullets' item doesn't work (replaced with the drum of bullets), and then i didn't knew squat about blood and was wondering why the fudge doesn't player take that d**n box even if i had 0 bullets. ;) there are also several such little bits...

9. gas mask maybe something like protective boots in duke nukem 3d... i think. maybe some goo paths supposed to be full of poisonous gas, i dunno.

more to come later.

i won't point out some reeeeeeeally small bits like blood v1.00 still had a texture for qstudios logo and stuff like that. ;)

Daedalus Deathmask

Ah! Good eye, Gila!

I forgot to mention the '1-stick of dynamite'. That's actually kind of cool!

Those boxes of bullets and flares and stuff are d**n weird... pity they were never introduced.

Something we both forgot to mention is the 'Tilt view' options in Blood Alpha and the final version. We all know about Alpha Blood's "That's outrageous!" tilting view. I can't believe Monolith had the audacity to still have the tilt view options in the final Blood! That's lazy!

Daedalus Deathmask

Curse my short memory!

You're right Gila! Thoes blue and brown vases rock! They feel a bit old fashioned, but if they sped up the rate at which they broke it would be cool!

Don't forget that those yellow criss-cross windows broke in a similar fashion!

Daedolon

on Dec 17th, 2003, 10:10am, Daedalus Deathmask wrote:It was also planned that Caleb would've been able to do some magic. But I'm not sure why this was scrapped and also the game would've perhaps been a bit more comical if magic was implemented.

Didn't Monolith call The Leech, The Orb and whatnot as "black voodoo magic" in Blood 2 and Nightmares?

Daedalus Deathmask

I think so, but a while back some guy left early Blood2 pictures with magic in... no doubt more magic was planned for Blood 1 as well.

This is a bit off the topic here, but does anyone know where 'Feinmann meats' comes from in Episode 3 Mission 2 "The siege"?

Is it Feinman or Feinmann?

scirmast

If I remember correctly, the box of bullets was included in all retail versions of Blood in one episode 1 map.

But an addition: more multiplaye options. Blood manual was talking about "spawn farthest" and "spawn near weapons". Neither was included.

Gila

oh, there are plenty!

0.99 or 1.00 has some "features"

- fanatics do throw tnt. they do not throw any in post-1.00 versions, or something like that.
- one of cultists' death sound is played too high pitched resulting in "cartoony" death sound.
- switched midi's (something like e3m6 music theme playing on e1m1)
- general bugs that were later fixed
- some different art (qstudios logo, different gti logo)
- and more little tidbits!!!

actually all non-plasma blood do not have some akimbo properties for some weapons, and only plasma (or post plasma) versions have napalm launcher alternate "rolling thunder" fire mode, only plasma can fire super-strong double (akimbo'ed) tesla shots, etc. also, i think life leech is not "droppable" as turret in early versions. oh yes, they also tweaked voodoo alt-fire...

Daedalus Deathmask

Greetings boys! If I am not mistaken the 'newest' patch for Blood is V1.11

OUWB pushes this to V1.21.

Do you guys know if that actually changes the game at all? The new version, that is.

Predator
I have a different question, naive perhaps. What is OUWB?

Cruaich
One Unit Whole Blood

Aside from including the Plasma Pak and Cryptic passage maps?

There are three things I've noticed that are diferent.

One thing is that the hell hands are alot easier to get off in OUWB. Even going at it Extra Crispy, they drop off with just a few key strokes. In 1.11 Just trying to get one off resulted in the need to get a new keyboard.

The second thing I noticed is that the diving suit wont automatically activate when you jump in the water if you have god mode on.

The third thing is that the "mario" level select code works diferently. You have to type in the episode and map numbers on the same line as mario, "mario 1 2". They removed the level select boxes for some reason.

There may be some additional changes in the weapons damages, but I've not checked all of them the way they should be yet.

There's also rumor floting around that there are bloodbath cheats that work in 1.11 that don't work in 1.21. But that's not something I know anything about.

scirmast

In which version the normal cultists started to throw TNT?

Gila

here's the other shyt.

ouwb has additional 'free to use' art files - starting tiles016 to tiles018.art. previous versions couldn't handle farther than tiles015.art that's why sunstorm int. were forced to insert their new textures in tiles015.art.

also...

the "normal" cultists which i assume are brown dudes with the shotguns, always threw tnt at you, since even beta/demo 0.91, it was just happening at higher difficulties.

one thing i know is that i don't remember them throwing "lighter" sticks of dynamite (one instead of bundle of six which is regular for the caleb to toss) in 1.00 version. and i think after 1.00 version fanatics stopped throwing tnt at you (they did in the sharewares and in 1.00, and much more precise than regular brown cultists). yeah.

also i think map versions are also "1.21" but they are reverse-compatible with plasma/non-plasma 1.11.

so far versions i know.

leaked alpha (you know the one i mean)
beta/demo 0.91 (has 3 levels of e1, willis uploaded it)
shareware 0.99, 0.99a
shareware 0.99b, 0.99c
shareware/final 1.00
1.02 (also i think beta of 1.02 patch existed)
1.11 plasma
1.20 (3dfx only)
1.21 = ouwb

no more.

Daedalus Deathmask

Thanks for the observant response Cruaich.... very interesting.

Don't feel ashamed about your ignorance Predator, now you know

Predator
Well, actually this is the version I have. I didn't pay any attention to the name.

Gila

oh yeah, in early versions the "goonies" cheat doesn't work. i mean it doesn't give you map, but says "you now have a full map" and game registers it as a cheat, but you won't get any map stuff. in 1.11 (or maybe ONLY in 1.21) it worked finally, but anyways, the map will be all black and not 'textured' so you still have to go through some sectors for them to be 'textured' in the TAB mode.

also to the 1.21 version it seems they did not removed bogus cheats... like "gatekeeper". it does nothing but it IS in the game...

oh yeah, one cool feature of 0.91beta was kinda "no level intermissions/loading screens", so when you push the endlevel trigger in E1M2 after a split second you'll be on the train of E1M3. that just OWNED so much.

Daedalus Deathmask

You've got a point there, Gila. It did feel more realistic like that. It was like that in 1.0 as well. But I kinda like the loading screen, I like seeing the level name.

Daedalus Deathmask
Speaking of cheats, everyone seems to have the same ones, but do you guys know any other than these (I may have forgotten some).

Lara Croft - all weapons and infinite ammo
MPKFA - god mode
Calgon # - level warp
Mario # - level warp
Capinmyass - god mode
Nocapinmyass - deactivate godmode
Tequila - akimbo weapons
Bunz - full ammo, weapons, and akimbo
Onering - invisibility
Goonies - reveal whole map
Spork - +100 health for total of 200
Griswold - +200 all armor
Kevorkian - You receive burning damage
Edmark - You receive impact damage
Satchel - All inventory items
Funkyshoes - Jumping boots
Rate - Display framerate
Eva galli - No clip (what is eva galli?)
Spielberg - Level warp and record demo

That's all I can remember for now.

Bloodite

on Feb 23rd, 2004, 9:38am, Daedalus Deathmask wrote:(what is eva galli?)

It may have some relation to this: http://www.roogulator.esmartweb.com/hor ... tstory.htm

It was just a quick search on it, may be able to find more.
Come see my NEW site
www.geocities.com/bloodite666

Cruaich

I didn't see "Keymaster" on that list

Gila

yeah also

Gatekeeper - dunno
Hong Kong - similar to Lara Croft
Krueger - i forgot what it does
I wanna be like Kevin -- god mode or smth
Flame Retardant - set yerself on fire!!!!!! yeeeha
Kevorkian -- forgot

they are all in BLOOD.EXE, search for NQLGB (which is 'encoded' MPKFA) and then 'decode' the rest which go after that.

Daedalus Deathmask

Yes, I forgot Keymaster! I remember there was a cheat that made the screen go black and fade back.

Oh yeah! Don't forget "Jojo"!

Gila

here you are, my friend...

UNOFFICIAL

blood alpha (leaked) - we all know and love it. that's what it was in the ol' days, with no fancy napalm launcher akimbo!

OFFICIAL (WEIRD)

blood beta 0.91 - also known as blood demo. it has 3 levels, e1m1, e1m2 and e1m3, and they all end with a switch instead of tchernobog sign, and they switch almost immediately. no more stuff in this version. the levels "loop".

OFFICIAL SHAREWARE

blood shareware 0.99 (also known as 0.99a)
blood shareware 0.99b
blood shareware 0.99c
blood shareware 1.00
blood shareware 1.01
blood shareware 1.02
blood shareware 1.10
blood shareware 1.11

OFFICIAL RETAIL

blood 1.00, 1.01, 1.02, 1.10, 1.11

CRYPTIC PASSAGE

cryptic passage demo (cp04 map iirc)
cryptic passage (patches blood up to 1.02)

PLASMA PAK

plasma pak 1.10, 1.11

3Dfx PATCH or some sh!te

blood 3dfx 1.20 (alpha, meaning the 3dfx support)

ONE UNIT WHOLE BLOOD

!!!BLOOD 1.21

--------------------

1.01, 1.02, 1.10 and 1.11 are all done by patching, of course.

0.99 versions have switched up level music, also some features are missing, but i can't remember what exactly right now.

there are lot of mess regarding 0.99/1.00 versions, since setup can be saying "1.00" and blood.exe can scream 0.99 or vice versa.

also there were "INTERNET" and "CD" versions of SHAREWAREs. i don't know exactly how are they different, maybe Willis will bring my memories back up.

and that's about it.

p.s. PROBABLY there was 1.07 version, i don't remember, also somewhere i saw "tools beta 1.02" or something, but redundant anyway
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Thanks Corvin

/me goes about sorting through that all.
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Very interesting to hear about what was planned. I have an old BLood/Shadow Warrior advert/supplement , and it shows lots off odd things that i think you mean. If you interested, i could scan the whole lot in. It does have a nice pic of the entire Monolith staff who worked on blood.

R_cain
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Excellent Corvin! Thank you, those were some of the most in depth conversations.
sirlemonhead
Cultist

Post by sirlemonhead »

r_cain wrote:Very interesting to hear about what was planned. I have an old BLood/Shadow Warrior advert/supplement , and it shows lots off odd things that i think you mean. If you interested, i could scan the whole lot in. It does have a nice pic of the entire Monolith staff who worked on blood.

R_cain
I have that too. Something I forgot I had and recently found. Very cool :D
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

scan it of course!