My project: BuildSharp

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

icecoldduke
Axe Zombie

Re: My project: BuildSharp

Post by icecoldduke »

So what is the "exe wrapper" approach?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

icecoldduke wrote:So what is the "exe wrapper" approach?
"Wrapper" was a poor choice of wording on my part. The KEX engine, as far as I can understand it, is a highly modified doom source port that runs games designed for consoles on a pc. If you're wondering how a port designed to run doom formatted games can run powerslave or turok, I have no idea.
The doom 64 EX version of KEX isn't gpl'ed, but an older 1.4 version from 09 does have source available. Also, the 2.4 version has something called "macros" in addition to the binary.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/doom64e ... /doom64ex/
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I've played the Doom 64 port and it was very good. So far Powerslave is great. Gonna try out the Turok port too.
icecoldduke
Axe Zombie

Post by icecoldduke »

N0t_mINe wrote:
icecoldduke wrote:So what is the "exe wrapper" approach?
"Wrapper" was a poor choice of wording on my part. The KEX engine, as far as I can understand it, is a highly modified doom source port that runs games designed for consoles on a pc. If you're wondering how a port designed to run doom formatted games can run powerslave or turok, I have no idea.
The doom 64 EX version of KEX isn't gpl'ed, but an older 1.4 version from 09 does have source available. Also, the 2.4 version has something called "macros" in addition to the binary.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/doom64e ... /doom64ex/
Its interesting that people who complain that studios don't release source code for any given game, start a project to re-create that game only to not release the source code for it. Kinda ironic.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Kaiser claims that the source for Doom64EX and PowerslaveEX will be released, "soon", or so he said before the take down order in May. The problem was he had game data in PS. Once a hasher program is added along with a way to get to the genisis data, he might make the new source available, says he wants to.

EDIT: Doom64EX is under the gpl, I assume it's PowerslaveEX or just the KEX engine your concerned with.
icecoldduke
Axe Zombie

Post by icecoldduke »

N0t_mINe wrote:Kaiser claims that the source for Doom64EX and PowerslaveEX will be released, "soon", or so he said before the take down order in May. The problem was he had game data in PS. Once a hasher program is added along with a way to get to the genisis data, he might make the new source available, says he wants to.

EDIT: Doom64EX is under the gpl, I assume it's PowerslaveEX or just the KEX engine your concerned with.
Which ever one you mentioned in your post :), I'm personally not familar with either.