How to extract stuff from Blood alpha`s RFF archive?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Re: How to extract stuff from Blood alpha`s RFF archive?

Post by N0t_mINe »

Tcherny wrote:
I never really understood why this was an issue. If someone wants to put Blood assets on another engine for fun, and assuming nobody comes up with a legal complaint, what the hell is the harm? How does it tarnish anything?
It doesn't necessarily "tarnish" anything. It's just that Blood's abilities and features become weaker in the eyes of a new gaming community. Let me give you a case-in-point. Say someone new to 2.5D gaming decided to play the most recent version of ZBlood+. There is this impression to our new player that "that" is what Blood is. The movable sector features, Blood's rich sound environments, these and a thousand other niceties will be lost to our new player. He or she will think Blood was a lot like a gory version of doom.

It wasn't.

It's not that doom isn't great or that her communities are incapable of appreciating blood, far from it. It's just that asking a lesser engine to do everything that Blood/build did is a little unfair to the original game. And trying to match what the Blood team did would be unimaginably hard, even on an engine that was up to it (DarkPlaces).

What's wrong with Build (eduke32) after all?

I'm not trying to "forbid" anyone from doing what they want btw. We're on the verge of possibly getting an engine to play Blood on that will hold the community together. If that wasn't the case an attempt to port Blood would be close to mandatory- it was several years ago, arguably up to the point when Jace made his announcement on Aug. 02. If Jace Hall can get Blood on a easily modifiable Build engine however, why would we as gamers seek to water down that effort?
Vortex Lord
Rat

Post by Vortex Lord »

N0t_mINe wrote:This is way off topic but...
Vortex Lord:
I got the music I liked a lot, don't plan to use it (until I try to make a Blood TC for HeXen)
The most recent ports of Doom might, just might make a decent episode for Blood. Generally speaking however, Doom is too weak of an engine (even in Hexen format) to pull of a good Blood tribute. I hope you'll reconsider.
Don't judge me I'm new here. I wanna meet the people.
Doom engine cannot use HeXen map format. I use the GZDoom engine and UDMF.
There have been Blood TCs for Doom on ZDoom engine. I didn't liked it honestly. I also saw someone remaking Bloodbath on YouTube, can't find it now.
But yeah I always wanted to make my own episode for Blood.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Vortex Lord wrote:
Don't judge me I'm new here. I wanna meet the people.
Doom engine cannot use HeXen map format. I use the GZDoom engine and UDMF.
There have been Blood TCs for Doom on ZDoom engine. I didn't liked it honestly. I also saw someone remaking Bloodbath on YouTube, can't find it now.
But yeah I always wanted to make my own episode for Blood.
I won't judge you. You like Blood gameplay and you want to bring it to a highly modifiable engine; what's to judge? I'm a refugee from a very similar project called hypertension which used the EDGE port for Doom. We could almost allllmost get our cultist to swim using RTS scripting. If he did so however, he became indestructible. Where you planning on getting cultists to swim with DECORATE?
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

As I said before in another thread here, I did have an interest in ZBlood a while ago. At the time, original Blood couldn't work on my computer and it served as a temporary fix until I got it working again thanks to some help from the internet. All the cool features from high quality ZDoom/GZDoom mods got me thinking of something like that for Blood (keep in mind that I didn't seriously try to create/mod anything at all, the most I did were "new" monster drawings on paper.) I figured since there was so much potential with the ZDoom engine (new weapons, monsters, scripts, engine enhancements, etc.) that ZBlood can become modded in such a way to incorporate new stuff not found in original Blood. Of course, it would have to be in the Blood style and not Doom's, as stuff like Cacodemon and Baron variants would be out of place.

Like you, Vortex Lord, I wanted to make my own Blood episodes and maps. But when I started to mess with mapedit for the first time, it went over my head. Doombuilder wasn't any different as that too, went over my head. I have no real strong desire to mod or create levels, paper drawings and fan fiction satisfy me enough :D Regardless, I suppose it can't hurt to wish you well in your project.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Vortex Lord wrote:Don't judge me I'm new here. I wanna meet the people.
Do not worry Vortex Lord - we are all try to be friends here and try not to rag on anyone too harshly.
dosgamer000 wrote:Like you, Vortex Lord, I wanted to make my own Blood episodes and maps. But when I started to mess with mapedit for the first time, it went over my head. Doombuilder wasn't any different as that too, went over my head. I have no real strong desire to mod or create levels, paper drawings and fan fiction satisfy me enough :D Regardless, I suppose it can't hurt to wish you well in your project.
I also played around and made a couple of Doom II levels using a nice Unix only map editor called Yadex back in the day. Nothing really special, but I had some fun and actually found it easier to use than Doombuilder. If anyone is interested, below is probably the most polished map I ever made with it:

http://icculus.org/~hamish/painful.wad

Reading all this makes me tempted to grab it and play with it again, as it is still thankfully available from the Fedora package repository. Still, sorry for taking this thread even further off topic everyone.

EDIT: However, it does perversely place it in the "Graphics" rather than the "Games" menu on Xfce. Still, that is better than Chocolate Doom trying to hide itself away in the "Settings" menu. :roll:
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

dosgamer000 said:
As I said before in another thread here, I did have an interest in ZBlood a while ago. At the time, original Blood couldn't work on my computer and it served as a temporary fix until I got it working again thanks to some help from the internet. All the cool features from high quality ZDoom/GZDoom mods got me thinking of something like that for Blood (keep in mind that I didn't seriously try to create/mod anything at all, the most I did were "new" monster drawings on paper.) I figured since there was so much potential with the ZDoom engine (new weapons, monsters, scripts, engine enhancements, etc.) that ZBlood can become modded in such a way to incorporate new stuff not found in original Blood. Of course, it would have to be in the Blood style and not Doom's, as stuff like Cacodemon and Baron variants would be out of place.
Please don't sound apologetic for playing Zblood. If it's one thing I love about Transfusion it is the *knights-of-the-round-table* feel to the place. Everyone is expected to have an opinion and his or her say, right or wrong. The only crime is not sharing that opinion. I've played Transfusion, The Bloodtc for Doom, Zblood, Hypertension, ZBlood+, BloodTC for eduke32, and will probably play ZBloodX when that comes out too.

The fact that there are so many and that none of them capture the "feel" of Blood speaks volumes.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

I also played around and made a couple of Doom II levels using a nice Unix only map editor called Yadex back in the day. Nothing really special, but I had some fun and actually found it easier to use than Doombuilder. If anyone is interested, below is probably the most polished map I ever made with it:

http://icculus.org/~hamish/painful.wad
I'll give this wad a go, I haven't played Doom in awhile.

EDIT: Got the wad downloaded, thanks alot Tchernobog. :)
Please don't sound apologetic for playing Zblood. If it's one thing I love about Transfusion it is the *knights-of-the-round-table* feel to the place. Everyone is expected to have an opinion and his or her say, right or wrong. The only crime is not sharing that opinion. I've played Transfusion, The Bloodtc for Doom, Zblood, Hypertension, ZBlood+, BloodTC for eduke32, and will probably play ZBloodX when that comes out too.

The fact that there are so many and that none of them capture the "feel" of Blood speaks volumes.
I wasn't trying to sound apologetic, I was just sharing my past and thoughts. I still like the idea of ZBlood and all the possibilities for the ZDoom/GZDoom engines. Something like a Realm667 repository for Blood would be cool.
Last edited by dosgamer000 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

dosgamer000:
I wasn't trying to sound apologetic, I was just sharing my past and thoughts. I still like the idea of ZBlood and all the possibilities for the ZDoom/GZDoom engines. Something like a Realm667 repository for Blood would be cool.
I approached the maintainer of Freeminded.de about the idea of a repository of shared resources. Realm667 has some fairly restrictive qualifications for what winds up in the repository. I wonder if the person in charge of the site will go with the idea.

Oh, in Blood X news

Ivan wrote:
Yeah I'm going to continue development of this at a later date. TBD.

Another xenoblood bites the dust.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

dosgamer000 wrote:I'll give this wad a go, I haven't played Doom in awhile.

EDIT: I went to the page and got hit with nothing but a bunch of strange character text. Did I do something wrong or is something wrong with the site
Hmm... did you try right clicking the link and selecting "Save Link As" or the equivalent for your browser?

It is not really anything special, so I would not bash my head to get it working though. :)
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

N0t_mINe wrote: I won't judge you. You like Blood gameplay and you want to bring it to a highly modifiable engine; what's to judge? I'm a refugee from a very similar project called hypertension which used the EDGE port for Doom. We could almost allllmost get our cultist to swim using RTS scripting. If he did so however, he became indestructible. Where you planning on getting cultists to swim with DECORATE?
Refugee? Hmm...

Our limited engine let me play around with Blood's content a little more than usual, and I still think Hypertension stands uniquely on its own. However, we had the map format that none of those other projects had, which is why our levels looks oh so much better ;-)
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Corbin:
Refugee? Hmm..
You find the usage inappropriate? I had high hopes for HT. When those hopes were dashed I took heavy losses. I am a *refugee* in the sense of one who had no other project to really invest in, at least as far as Blood was concerned.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

No its not the usage of the word - did you work with me on that project? That's what I'm wondering about - your username doesn't sound familar to me.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

N0t_mINe is zZaRDoZz's new nick.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Tcherny:
N0t_mINe is zZaRDoZz's new nick.
:shock: :o :shock: :-x :cry: :o :shock: :( :shock: :shock:

AAAaAAHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

*splat!*
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

:|