Blood 2 the Chosen: Darkact modification help?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

RoosterKokbirnz
Rat

Blood 2 the Chosen: Darkact modification help?

Post by RoosterKokbirnz »

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not sorry for being a moron I really can't help it.

Okay so I recently got the Darkact modification for Blood 2 and I only have one problem with it; the damn woo mode. Upon pressing W the player enters "woo mode" (obviously a reference to John Woo) and is capable of firing akimbo weapons one at a time rather than simultaneously. This is actually pretty cool but the toggle button for woo mode is the damn W key. The WASD configuration is a staple of the first person shooter game, so you can understand that it gets tiresome when every time I try to move forward I get the messages "woo mode on" and "woo mode off" plastered across my screen twenty times. How the Satan do I remedy this situation? The mod is pretty neat and I'd like to be able to enjoy it fully. Thanks to anyone who bothers to read and a much bigger thanks to anyone who might be able to help. A super huge apology if this doesn't even belong here and I'm making a twat of myself.

Toodles.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Blood 2 the Chosen: Darkact modification help?

Post by Tchernobog »

I did not even know that there was a Woo mode. :shock:

Unfortunately, if the Blood II key binding configuration can not help you, I do not know what can. You could try to extract the rez file using the LithTech tools and trying to find and remove the Woo mode, or at least its key binding, but I would not know how to instruct you with this. Maybe a long shot, but maybe someone with experience Blood II modding such as Joe "I Live Again" Volante may be able to offer a few suggestions. As I said, probably a long shot. :|

For me DarkAct is mostly great except for one problem: the Akimbo Assault rifle. It looks absolutely dorky that way and means that you can not utilize its alt-fire, which is what makes it one of the most useful weapons in the whole game! So it means that when I play with it I mostly stick to my Uzis instead for rapid fire, as it makes the assault rifle look so stupid and be barely more functional than the Uzis there are supposed to be replacing. :banghead:

I actually did try what I suggested to you at one point. Unfortunately my LithTech modding experiences is simply copying already present data from one game to another and seeing it it loads. And it does a lot of the time. :)
Last edited by Tchernobog on Tue Jun 21, 2011 08:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Well I don't own Blood 2 myself, but maybe the game or mod generated a cfg or ini file? If it did then you could try editing that with notepad and change the key bindings in there. Sorry if I'm not much help. :wink:
RoosterKokbirnz
Rat

Tchernobog wrote:You could try to extract the rez file using the LithTech tools
Might you be able to tell me exactly how I would do that? I downloaded the LithTech tools but my inferior little monkey brain cannot figure out the rez encoder thing. Further help would be much appreciated and thank you for what you've already offered.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

All right, it has been awhile since I last did this, so please bare with me. :)

The program you are interested in is the lithrez.exe tool. It is a command line application, so load up a command prompt and change to the install directory:

Code: Select all

cd C:\Games\b2-tools\Bin
Once there, you can use the LithRez tool to extract the rez files contents:

lithrez.exe x C:\Games\Blood2\Custom\DARKACT_B2.REZ C:\DarkArct
Assuming you are able to find or change what you need, you then need to rebuild your new rez like so:

lithrez.exe c DARKACT_B2_Modified.REZ C:\Games\Blood2\Custom
Change the paths as appropriate and keep in mind that this is based on what I did a few years ago, and I did that on Linux through WINE, so I had to translate my knowledge in the hopes it would be helpful to you. Good luck. :)
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Lithrez? Wasn't that what the old ones used before Winrez?
Anyway it sounds like the config file is your best bet.
RoosterKokbirnz
Rat

Sweeeeeet I managed to remove the woo mode, thanks Tchernobog!
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Interesting, could you please elaborate how it was done? The same problem may strike me in the future, and it would be useful to know. :)

I directed him to Lithrez as that is the original tool developed by Monolith and released for Blood II and Shogo modding. I was unaware of the existence of this Winrez tool. I kind of like the command line nature or Lithrez anyway, makes it WINE and interface with Linux quite beautifully. 8)

And nice to see you check on the forum again zZaRDoZz. :)
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

*Casts a weary eye at Tchernobog.*

*Goes back to strumming the sintar*

terrorhead
Rat

Post by terrorhead »

Hi everyone! I'm proud to know there is still an active Blood community.
So, here we go.
In order to re-play Blood2 (gog version) 12 yeas later, I was looking for some help with the Darkact mod.
I can't bind the keys for the new (old) features from the mod "activate comm", "repeat last order", "toogle Woo mode".
When I select a key in the control options and back to the game, simply, they remain "unassigned", in the console appear a text with some kind of "error binding device". It need to add a new lines in the autoexec.cfg to work? Wich ones? I don't have idea. If someone can help... Thanks!!
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Would like to help, but it has been a long time since I have played the game with Darkact. I personally prefer the newer FX Enhancer mod myself, although I play it without the new graphics and sounds as I prefer the originals. It does not give all of the same features as Darkact, but it does smooth out some of the games rougher edges quite nicely. :)
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

What version of DarkAct are you using? It should be 1.8 along with the 1.83 patch loaded last. Are you activating nightmares?
terrorhead
Rat

Post by terrorhead »

Thanks for reply!
I'm using 1.8 + 1.83 in correct order, activating and deactivating Nightmares.
I keep trying, or I can play with other mod anyway...
Darkact sounds sweet with that summoner for the other Chosen ones, civilians becoming shikaris, death skins and limb loss. But, well... the idea is improve the game experience the best possible. So, you're talking about the new Extra Crispy mod or the old FXenhancer? The first is based on the second. Is the best option nowadays?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

I got the GoG version of blood2 working fine with darkact. Even summoned up Ophelia in the subway. Are you on windows 7? You can't install b2 on vista or above in the program folder without security issues.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

terrorhead wrote:So, you're talking about the new Extra Crispy mod or the old FXenhancer? The first is based on the second. Is the best option nowadays?
Extra Crispy I have found easier to get setup and it does have some changes that distinguish it from vanilla FX Enhancer, even if you choose to opt out of the new texture and sound packs as I tend to do. I have found it to be a very nice as a polishing mod, rather than one that explores new ideas and features as Darkact does.

It is not perfect in this regard though as it is not quite conservative enough for my tastes, as I personally find the akimbo tesla/napalm/whatever that it offers to be a tad annoying. What I would really like is something similar to what Greased with Lovin currently offers Shogo - relatively unobtrusive changes that merely add a bit of polish to the game, at least in single player.