Good old Games, gets a little... Bloody!

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I've been playing around with the video resolutions and was able to get blood to play full screen in native 4:3 ratio (ie, not stretched to wide screen) following a tip found on one of the Steam Doom threads:

under the [sdl] section I used these settings:
  • fullscreen=true
    fulldouble=false
    fullfixed=false
    fullresolution=1680x1050 (use your native resolution)
    output=opengl
    hwscale=1.00
    autolock=true
    sensitivity=100
    waitonerror=true
    priority=normal,normal
    mapperfile=mapper.txt
Also, there seems to be a mouse look patch one of the Duke guys came out with. discussion about it onthe GoG forums. I've never really played Blood with mouse look because it didn't feel right. Either this actually is better or I'm just getting sick of using the keyboard only.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Neato. I think they might pay more attention to Blood now. IDK. /Optimism
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Liberation wrote:I've just bought it from GOG, it runs with Dosbox. I didnt know Blood had video clips :D
The installer never transferred them to the game directory, so they would only play if you had the CD in or followed the directions of copying the smk files and modifying your ini file (which is what I had always done because it had way faster load times).

For those of you who didn't notice, there are 2 optional downloads. A (rather poor) pdf scan of the Blood jewel case manual, and MP3s of the CD audio tracks (still one of my favorite parts of the game). Sadly, there is no way to incorporate the sound track into the game itself, so it falls back to the inferior midis.

As for me, Cryptic appears to work fine.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Working flawlessly for me soo far at 1280x1024.

My screen has an annoying flicker at 1024x768 for some reason.
It's nice that they made a batch file for the movies to work. I downloaded the soundtrack but haven't messed with it yet. Great memories though.

Cant wait for some Bloodbath :D
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:It's nice that they made a batch file for the movies to work.
They always have worked, and it's not a batch file, just modifying the ini. The instructions to do so were in the original readme files released with Blood.
I Live...AGAIN wrote:Cant wait for some Bloodbath :D
Don't get your hopes up too high, that still requires additional software and modifications, as Blood obviously only had IPX network code, and not TCP/IP.
Last edited by Willis on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Yeah, I'm aware they couldnt really do too much with it except for making it load properly with batch files ...etc.

If anything else, it gets people who play all on the same version of the game, no more messing with patches and games not working because no one knows what version they have.

LOL at the cheap manual scan! :lol:
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:If anything else, it gets people who play all on the same version of the game, no more messing with patches and games not working because no one knows what version they have.
I still prefer 1.11 as I didn't acquire OUWB until long after its release since I had already owned the game and both expansion packs, so 0.99-1.11 is what I played the majority of the time (and 1.20alpha!)
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I haven't really played Bloodbath alot since the old Mplayer days :P
That was long before the addons came out.
Since then I usually get pwned by whomever I try to go against if we can get a game to work.

BTW:Great to see you Willis!
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

I barely played on the internet at all... back in those days it was 1v1 via modem direct dials or direct serial link... of course, I only knew so many people who played blood, and it was short time before they stopped wanting to play with me because it always ended with me slaughtering them :evillaugh:

As for online play since DOSBox, I've only played once with DustyStyx and it was kind of a wash depending on the level/weapon balance. Either he annihilated me, or I annihilated him. I'm not sure I want to even give it another try, as I am no longer skilled enough to play with only keyboard (mlook has babied me), and Blood's mlook was absolutely horrid.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I'm going to try out the mouse look fix dusty posted about.

http://swisscm.duke4.net/BMOUSE05.ZIP
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:I'm going to try out the mouse look fix dusty posted about.

http://swisscm.duke4.net/BMOUSE05.ZIP
I've never seen that before, looks incredibly interesting and promising. I'll also have to look for the source code for the plug-in that he is talking about and see what can be done with it.

Edit: Well, BMouse.exe wasn't overly helpful, as it doesn't seem drastically different from what Blood offered, but the ability to program an external program (found the source: http://www.3drealms.com/stuff/dukectrl.zip ) could be interesting, as it could even be programmed to compensate against engine limits to a degree. I'll play around with that this weekend.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

That would be interesting.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Willis wrote: Sadly, there is no way to incorporate the sound track into the game itself, so it falls back to the inferior midis..
I myself actually prefer the midi versions, I guess it depends on your taste and which you were introduced to first. Though I must admit the CD version for the Dark Carnival music is epic.

EDIT: Oh yes, and also the Pestis Cruento choir is brilliant. :)

By the way, nice to see you posting here again Willis. :wink:
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Tchernobog wrote:I myself actually prefer the midi versions, I guess it depends on your taste and which you were introduced to first.
I played with the CD, so I wasn't introduced to the midi versions until later. The midi's aren't bad, but the CD audio has much better atmosphere IMO.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

The GoG package is doing something to play the music through DOSBox. It looks to be a feature of DOSBox itself, as the DOSBox.conf file is basically mounting a text file that lists out the various files for the tracks.

Track 1 Game.gog (an iso that contains the movie files)
Tracks 2-9 Blood02-09.ogg

like this:
  • FILE "cd.iso" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    FILE "audio02.ogg" MP3
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    FILE "audio03.ogg" MP3
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 00:00:00... etc.
It's not perfect, as the audio tracks stop on occasion, but it's not bad.

Also it looks like SwissCM updated to .06: http://swisscm.duke4.net/downloads/BMOUSE06.ZIP