IGN is shutting down all hosted sites.

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Mic
Axe Zombie

IGN is shutting down all hosted sites.

Post by Mic »

What a depressing email. Gamespy is where I first got my feet wet at hosting a game site, and working on mods. But I am not the only one effected. What about all the other hosted sites over at planet blood. It feels like we are losing a piece of history.

I can understand that being hosted by a planet site today isn't what it meant about 10 years ago. Back when gamespy was king and the planet sites were our one stop shop for news and downloads. Games are becoming more and more corporate every day, along with our fan sites. But I guess that is the way everything is going.

File planet will remain, but a what can/should we do about some of the planetblood.com sites that will be lost on Aug. 31st. Ideas? Suggestions?
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Damn Mic. That is depressing. All I can think of is the Blood wiki site even though they can't do any file hosting. Filefront certainly can't be considered stable especially after that little stunt we had to endure back in April.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

No wonder they took my planetblood email away. I had that thing forever.

I didnt know they were shutting down the hosting as well. Guess I better try to archive as much from the site as I can.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Yeah ILA - you should archive the entire thing, we could put it up on some other server with permission or something.

Yeah, that really sucks. The Planet sites of the late 90's - early 2k's were the best.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Speaking as someone to young to actually be a part of Planet Blood or even be aware of it at its heyday, even I am saddened by these continued warnings of its coming demise. Just looking through the archived content is enough to make you respect the website. It may even have contributed to my conversion from regular gamer to hardened bloodlite in 2007. I have already tried my best to backup what I can on my humble little Wiki, but as zZaRDoZz said we are without the ability to file host. I just hope that most of the valuable content will exist in some form after the dust settles from the demolition in august.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

I will be able to file host, within reason, on my own server if it helps at all.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Most files should be on fileplanet anyway, But I'm sure if Willis gets wind of it he would host.