New monolith project - Blood3? Fear3? NOLF3? Place your bet

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Obviously something is going on. I guess you could say that at least some activity is better then no activity at all if you want to be an optimist :D
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Everyone has bills to pay. At least they seem to be weathering the recession well enough.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

DustyStyx wrote:Everyone has bills to pay. At least they seem to be weathering the recession well enough.
I'll drink to that.Image
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

I think they may do Shogo 2, based off the theory of one of our valued members, and that may be trying to beef up their LithTech engine that would rival 3D Realm's work on the Unreal Engine 2 for DNF, and create the ultimate revival for Blood: It'll be known as "BLOOD FOREVER"!

Looking past that bad joke of mine, imagine if the latest work on the LithTech engine were to be utilized to take all of the original Blood's art design, the textures, the enemies, weapons, etc, and enhance them to a startling degree. Imagine how hideous a LithTech enhanced Cultist or Fanatic would look! So would the gargoyles, zombies, and gillbeasts as well.

Although I was very impressed by the AI of No One Lives Forever (I've only played the tech demo), I have no idea how advanced Monolith's AI has been lately, in the FEAR games most particularly. If they have been working to surpass the AI of NOLF, and if that AI was used in a Blood 3, the game might be quite a challenge, no?

If it was ever made, they could remember to make bigger bosses this time, instead of slightly bigger versions of Blood enemies. I don't know what Monolith's latest boss fights have been like in their latest games.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Slink wrote:
I'll drink to that.

I don/t know what you're drinking slink but you'd better pass a few of 'em over here. :zombie:
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

zZaRDoZz wrote:Slink wrote:
I'll drink to that.

I don/t know what you're drinking slink but you'd better pass a few of 'em over here. :zombie:
Whatever you guys can't finish let me know. I'll slam down more than a few myself.
cruxdustrial
Cultist

Post by cruxdustrial »

Thanks for leaving us hanging, Monolith. Bunch o' dicks. [sarcasm]
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

cruxdustrial wrote:Thanks for leaving us hanging, Monolith. Bunch o' dicks. [sarcasm]
:lol:
cruxdustrial
Cultist

Post by cruxdustrial »

This is looking bad. Monolith's site still has not changed. Worse yet, http://www.touchdownentertainment.com/ is a domain for sale. As Wikipedia points out "As of December 2008, the Touchdown Entertainment website reverted to an 'Under Construction' state. As of October 1, 2009, the website appears to be a domain placeholder.". This is ridiculous. This has gone on for nearly a year and Monolith did nothing at E3. Either anounce Blood 3 or don't. Jesus Christ.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Cruxdustrial:
This is ridiculous. This has gone on for nearly a year and Monolith did nothing at E3. Either anounce Blood 3 or don't. Jesus Christ.
LoL.
and Monolith did nothing at E3. Either anounce Blood 3 or don't.
Just,
pure,
LoL.
cruxdustrial
Cultist

Post by cruxdustrial »

I wonder if Monolith is being quietly shutdown by Warner Bros. Look at this http://www.lith.com/ that page has not changed for nearly a year. If it was just preparation for an anouncement, it wouldn't have taken this f*** long. What the f*** is monolith doing? Are they even alive? Has anyone heard a WORD from them? They dont even do press releases anymore. The Blood wiki says that "Monolith stated in the Spring of 2007 that "Monolith currently has no plans to revive the Blood franchise, but you never know what could happen in the future!" See http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Blood_III
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

It's all about the money my friend.

I'm just going to speculate that WB controls all the cash / spending and ATM they are telling Lith to sit tight. Perhaps Lith is being paid for some type of development engine, who knows?

WB is a huge company and I'm sure some genius there thought at the time when they acquired Monolith that it would be profitable. Now they see the reality that software/game development is not nearly the cash cow they originally thought.

Now, I am far from a finance guru, but if they had asked me at that time I would have told them for free that there was no way on God's holy earth that this endeavor would be profitable for them. But I am no one. Anyways, this is just my own speculation.
cruxdustrial
Cultist

Post by cruxdustrial »

Thank you for your input. And for the record, your not 'no one'. You seem to have more knowledge in the field of economics and finances than I do. Is video game development a bad investment? It is not profitable?
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Game development can be profitable, if you have a plan.

Again, this is just speculation on my part.

When WB acquired Monolith it was at the height of the second console revolution. Most PC developers at that time were starting to abandon the PC platform and jump into console game development looking for a quick buck. Monolith was one of these companies.
Someone at WB probably thought to themselves "hey! we better jump on this bandwagon before it's too late" so they half-hazardly jumped in.
I'm not exactly sure but I believe WB hired Jason Hall, then acquired Monolith immediately after and he could have had some of influence. Or i could be wrong on that.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

I'm not sure that Warner would shut down Monolith since they're trying to make a movie based on Condemned. Also I remember seeing some news somewhere where a guy from Monolith said they're working on some new project. I guess we'll just have to be patient. :shrug: