blood source code?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

blacksteed
Rat

blood source code?

Post by blacksteed »

can we buy the blood source code from atari?
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

The problem is something more like Atari claiming to not have it anymore, and/or have lost it.

I wasn't one of the people who was actually in contact with Atari about it, but, in short, no, we can't just buy it from them.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

how do you 'lose' a damn source code? wtf. Some executive at Atari probably erased over the source code and filled it with Ace Of Base mp3's
hund_
Axe Zombie

Post by hund_ »

it would be harder to find but 3dfx had access to the source.
Symbolic-
Axe Zombie

Post by Symbolic- »

wangho wrote:how do you 'lose' a damn source code? wtf. Some executive at Atari probably erased over the source code and filled it with Ace Of Base mp3's
:evillaugh:
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Post by Blood of Nightmares »

wangho wrote:how do you 'lose' a damn source code? wtf. Some executive at Atari probably erased over the source code and filled it with Ace Of Base mp3's
Hmm..I guess there's something suspicious going on as if their trying to hide/cover their asses?
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Why is it so hard to accept that Monolith made a deal with the 3D devil in order to get blood published in the first place?

Blood was made with an enhanced version of the build engine. I was reading the developer notes at posty the other day. Did you know The development team was originally calling Ken's voxel engine the 'better than vertices" engine?!?

Huge, complex maps, Sector effects, Sector stacking, 3d voxels, these were their way of trying to compete. I'm sure publishers ageed to ship and provide shelf space on the condition that build not be used for a sequel.
sallyxi
Rat

Post by sallyxi »

Many players in the games sell their blood,havn`t you noticed before?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

wangho wrote:how do you 'lose' a damn source code?
It happend with Strife. Luckily for it, several clever coders have taken the Doom source and are building a strife port using reverse engineering. See Vavoom for more details...
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

zZaRDoZz wrote:Why is it so hard to accept that Monolith made a deal with the 3D devil in order to get blood published in the first place?
I wonder what would have happend if Blood used a more traditional Shareware distribution system, like what was used for Doom. They could have kept the rights then...
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Apparently Infogrames recently bought up the remainder of Atari stock. They only had a controlling majority before last May. Gamasutra reports that the merger is now complete. (grats Dimebog)

This may help out some of the older titles that the two companies had shared ownership in. And perhaps they might be interested in republishing to an online distribution service like Good Old Games or GameTap.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I seem to recall us having a short discussion about the possibility of Blood being published on something like Gametap. The thing is, I would think that they'd need the source in order to integrate the game into the distribution software (such as in Steam) although it could be done with a shell program, as in DOSBox, provided they had all proper adaptation of the old game coded into the shell.

By "proper adaptation" being "coded into the shell", I mean to say that they would need full functionality of the old game on newer technology (networking, audio, video, general processing speed, etc.)

So, Blood COULD be distributed on something like Gametap without them ever having to see any game code.

hund_ wrote:it would be harder to find but 3dfx had access to the source.
That is a very interesting concept, that 3DFX had hold of the Blood source... I never thought about that before.
-Slink
VENOM
Axe Zombie

Post by VENOM »

Posted by Daedalus (14.10.2008 02:21:20)
Infogrames Entertainment S.A. Announces Completion of Acquisition of Atari, Inc.
Greetings Posty denizens. It's happened -- Atari, the final holder of the rights to Blood and the source code, has been bought by Infogrames.

If the source code still exists in any form, we can hope that Infogrames may have more flexibility when it comes to releasing the source code. Stay tuned.

well i think there is a chance
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

zZaRDoZz wrote:
Why is it so hard to accept that Monolith made a deal with the 3D devil in order to get blood published in the first place?

Tchernobog responded:
I wonder what would have happend if Blood used a more traditional Shareware distribution system, like what was used for Doom. They could have kept the rights then...

One tiny factoid that keeps escaping these source code discussions is the never mentioned products on everyone's blood CD:

!. An encryption algorithm.

2. An encryption key.

Now if Monolith sold those products to other software companies for use with other types of software then you can forget ever seeing the source code released. If monolith bought the encryption from another company we've never heard of then we will certainly never see a source code released.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe Transfusion started as a thread on the Bloodsource forum when The original team realized that there would be no source code released...

back in 2000... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe Transfusion started as a thread on the Bloodsource forum when The original team realized that there would be no source code released...
Realized, but still hopeful. Yeah, that's the way I remember it.

zZaRDoZa makes a good point. Just to add to the point. Monolith could well have just licensed the Build engine without any provisions other than to use the engine for the one title, and they haven't bothered updating that contract. The Build engine and accompanying code.