Problem in mapedit

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

wangho
Acolyte

Problem in mapedit

Post by wangho »

to Daedalus (or anyone else that knows what the problem is)

what the heck is going on here? Have you ever run across a problem like this? The red sectors within are sloped when they aren't supposed to be. In the second pic, the white wall is sloped. The sky is not sloped either. Everythnig appears fine and level in mapedit, but in-game, this is how it appears. I tried setting the sky and red sectors with 'F3' and 'F4' in the same position, but I still get this problem. I even deleted the red sectors and tried it again, but still this problem stays.Any ideas?

I would have used the thread dedicated to these issues at the Postmortem site, but I'm having a problem logging in there..
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

My name is spoken and I am summoned.

Sorry to hear about the Posty problems. Might be a temporary situation, but if it persists, we'll be sure to look into it. I suffer from that as well sometimes.

Unfortunate that you didn't include a 2D mode shot of these issues, it can always offer a little insight, but based purely on what I see here, I think the problem is not a problem at all and you should relax, unless it's the latter option, in which unfortunate measures will have to be taken.

Let's open positively and simply. If I understand correctly, these are perfectly fine in mapedit, but appear corrupted in game. The positive fix is hopefully a simple one. Are these sectors z-motion? What are the sector attributes? Are they completely normal, untouched sectors? (None of that Normal: OFF nonsense.) I can only assume that if the answer is 'yes' to this, you made an error in a previous sector that carried over to these. Unfortunately, the only fix I can offer in this instance is to try and pointing in 2D mode at the 'walls' of the sector, i.e. the grey stones and press Alt+x, then check it out in-game and see how it works out and if anything's changed.

If that's not the case and the sectors are completely untouched, but appear different in-game it may well be a case of evil corruption, but let's hope it doesn't come to having to reduce the map harshly. I've suffered that myself in previous maps, we all hate it.

So, if that doesn't work, put up some mapedit 3D and 2D shots and we'll see if we can tackle this monstrosity. Blood thanks you for your continued service.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

I seem to remember checking out the sectors and seeing no incriminating evidence, but I'll recheck to be sure. I've dragged the cursor around to see if there are some ghost segments which may be giving me the problem, but there are none present. I hope I find some, I get some some kind of pleasure fixing those for some reason :) How do you take a snapshot in mapedit?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Can you hit the "slope reset" key when in 3D mode? Just place cursor over intended floor or ceiling. I believe it was "\" (Backslash key).

Whenever you create a new red sector adjacent to an already sloped sector, I believe it inherits the traits of the new sector's firstwall's adjoined sector. Confusing?

Like this (sectors I drew using ASCII:

____
[_|_]
[_|_]

KEY:
[1|2]
[3|4]

Sector 1's right wall is its "firstwall", so if 2 is sloped, 1 inherits the slope.
If 1's firstwall is still its right wall, it will ignore any traits of sector 3.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

I checked the surrounding sectors and the sectors themselves and there is no data entered. Funny, I set the off and on position of one of the sectors and it was angled the opposite way the next time I was in-game. It appears that it's the ceiling that is sloping in certain areas. Luckily, this is only happening in just a very small section of the map.

Slink: I've already reset everything with backslash, i've tried most things. If it's corrupted, Ive never had any kind of corruption in this manner before. Ill make some 2d shots and post them up, but there is nothing wierd going on in 2d mode that im aware of.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Let me briefly explain map corruption. The effects result in random unintentional aspects of the map, every time any change or certain types of changes are made to the map, such as drawing a new sector.

The only Mapedit bug (of which I know) that results in corruption is inserting a point in a wall during the creation/drawing of a new sector. This will f*** your map six ways from Sunday, if you know what I'm saying.

If your map IS bugged, you may be able to salvage parts of your map via the ALT select function. You know what I mean?
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

It doesn't seem like any kind of bug would be associated with a tilted sky. I've ran into the ghost sector problem and Im assuming that is the screwy stuff you speak of. I have fixed plenty of those problems in the past, but this is different. Anybody know how to take a screenshot in 2d mode?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I recommend running DOSbox. There is no need to configure it super fancy magically, just run it so you can take a screenshot in windowed mode. Use printscreen key in Windows.

As far as the "ghost sector" problem and others, AFAIK, there is NO way to fix the map once it has been saved AFTER being glitched.

Let me know if you make any breakthroughs.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Ctrl+F5 is the command in DosBox.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Slink wrote:I recommend running DOSbox. There is no need to configure it super fancy magically, just run it so you can take a screenshot in windowed mode. Use printscreen key in Windows.

As far as the "ghost sector" problem and others, AFAIK, there is NO way to fix the map once it has been saved AFTER being glitched.

Let me know if you make any breakthroughs.
It depends on the severity of the ghost sectors I'd say. Even then, the map has always been salvageable. One map seemingly had multiple ghost sectors one on top of another, but I simply bypassed that area and worked around it. As long as the problems don't impede the gameplay in any way, it's not a problem to me.

I'll try taking screens with 'printscreen' in win98, I just wasn't aware of the method of taking screens in mapedit. Besides, im on a dial-up at the moment and it'll take too long to get another copy of DOXBox at the moment.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

OOh, if you are using Win98, you can take screens with prtscrn. Also possible in XP if you disable the prtscrn filter for the application (right click exe file).
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

ok, the above problem has long since been remedied, but there is another one on the horizon. I need to stack a sector on top of the other (like E1M1 or CPMAP3) so the ambient sounds can be heard and the stack is in the vicinity. Just how exactly does the sectors that will need to be built in the upper stack get recognized. The upper stack stuff will be built and cross over lower stack sectors, but how does the upper stack sectors not appear on the lower stack section? I know that the actual linking upper and lower stacks are recognized in Data1:, but im just not sure about the rest of the stuff.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

OK,
* The sectors should be the same shape of course.
* Try not to make odd-shaped stack sectors.
* Try not to make more than one stack visible at once ( > 1 hole in view is bad)
* Both sectors need the broken mirror texture on the appropriate floor or ceiling. Was it 512? can't remember.
* If you really want them in the vicinity, you'd better damn well be satisfied with them before you decide to drag one sector to the same location as the other. Still, the sectors MUST be slightly offset so that the points do not lock and join walls, etc. I recommend avoiding the whole "sectors are in the same spot on the grid" idea if you can.
* If the upper and lower sectors happen to be connected by actual hallways/tunnels and such, you have no other choice but to place them in the same spot, UNLESS you want it to be like Alice in Wonderland...
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

I have all this already, but I need to know how to build sectors on top of each others so the stuff that I build for the upper stack will only show up and correspond to the upper stack
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

wangho wrote:I have all this already, but I need to know how to build sectors on top of each others so the stuff that I build for the upper stack will only show up and correspond to the upper stack
Are you asking how to stack rooms in 3D space?