Black spiders?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

If anything, Daedalus may be a bit hurt that some of the fans here seem a bit ho-hum about his project. The man created some amazing stuff, and even if you have downloaded, played, and enjoyed it, then dammit... give the man AND the rest of the team some props, even if you don't like the addon. It's ALOT of work to create stuff as good as they did and I'm sure they'd like to feel like their time and effort was not for nothing. I've always seen him as a nice, giving guy that assumes an eloquent and majestic role for the fun of it and to bring a brevity to Blood.

Oh, yeah it's just a game, but try telling a huge Star Wars fan that they are just movies. If they touch and inspire and have their own philosophy and contained worlds just like Blood and Star Wars, then they can be more than just a game and just a movie. Night At The Museum however, is just a movie.
Last edited by wangho on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Gentlemen (and Hellen)! I believe the purpose of this thread is a discussion about Black Spiders, not of my manners or method of speech, though I'm so glad many of you could take the time out of your busy schedules to devote some attention to me, I must implore that we remain on topic. If any of you feel the need to discuss my attitude with me, please feel free to do so in a PM format or, preferably, in a thread in the General Chat area of this site, where you can benefit from the assistance of this band of heroic characters who stand against me and, of course, where you can have the sincere honour of everyone witnessing your belittlement of my persona.

I'm glad to see that someone could muster the sensibility and courage to post after me about Blood.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa wrote:1) So why don't black spiders appear in the retail levels? Could it have been the original make?

2) If black spiders were in the retail levels, would you have preferred to see them with their own power (like jojo syndrome and temporary blindness)? If so, what?

3) Was the team right not to include them in the retail levels?
1) Intelligence indicates no. They feature in no prior version of Blood (interestingly, the brown spiders were once brown in tone, not red, as we see in retail Blood.)

2) I think the effects are fine as they stand.

3) I'd give it a strong 'maybe'. If they appeared before Shial she would've been less menacing and there were few 'logical' spots where larger spiders could've appeared in later maps save for perhaps Crystal Lake. Though black spiders as opposed to the ridiculous amount of Shials encountered on higher difficulties would've been quite welcome.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

I'll contribute to this thread with an extremely rare screenshot of the black spider!

Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

Daedalus wrote: 3) I'd give it a strong 'maybe'. If they appeared before Shial she would've been less menacing and there were few 'logical' spots where larger spiders could've appeared in later maps save for perhaps Crystal Lake. Though black spiders as opposed to the ridiculous amount of Shials encountered on higher difficulties would've been quite welcome.
With this amount of knowledge (and practice) you could recreate the retail storyline in full on the same engine, fixing any leaks and repositioning all objects properly, adding all those unused items as well, along with Black Spiders. I would definitely play it.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Ghoste wrote:With this amount of knowledge (and practice) you could recreate the retail storyline in full on the same engine, fixing any leaks and repositioning all objects properly, adding all those unused items as well, along with Black Spiders. I would definitely play it.
There's enough people on RBC who might try something like that. Why don't you go there? They might also fix the music with some heavy metal and scaling with some 1:2 ratio and fix the palettes around. I heard that is quite popular now. They also have this fine skill of releasing magnificent levels on daily basis (what is known as speed-mapping) and engaging in rhetorical copulation with their Queen (bashing the BLOOD-oriented forums and the remaining handful of followers)....

Ah yes! How foolish of me.... I forgot that Daedalus didn't crawl out of that lair!
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

I think the black spiders should have had their own effect: Partial Paralysis.

Yes? No? Maybe? :)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

They could slow you down in that way. Seems too "Team Fortress" to me tho. Instead of making you get groggy and hallucinate, they could make you wig out in different ways...

"AHH IT BURNS", *controls go silly for a second her and there", you twitch, "laugh maniacally*, you can't tell how much health or ammo you have.

Like temporary insanity+delirium. Good times.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

It's kind of funny because when I was asking those questions, I was thinking of a spider behaving in the same way as a hell hound... Who needs entertainment when you can do it yourself?

Has any FPS enemy spider ever made use of the "bleeder" effect? You know, a bite that causes the player to lose health over time until the player finds health?

:phantasm:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Hmmm, sounds like TF. Medics can poison opposing team members until a friendly medic heals them, or they die. It is contagious. I guess that effect would suck. (Not to be a dick. ;) )
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Slink wrote:Hmmm, sounds like TF. Medics can poison opposing team members until a friendly medic heals them, or they die. It is contagious. I guess that effect would suck. (Not to be a dick. ;) )
I used to be the medic in team fortress... I used to enjoy gunning for the flag. :wink:

Duke Extreme had a "bleeding" add on. I don't think it was well executed though.

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I remember that. It was terribly simple how they did it. I also modified the shrink ray to a fireball gun. I even added enemies catching fire for a duration. :)
Zardoz
Fanatic

Post by Zardoz »

I think the black spiders should have had their own effect: Partial Paralysis.

Yes? No? Maybe?

yes!
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Drakan wrote:I think the black spiders should have had their own effect: Partial Paralysis.

Well, I think that would probably be a bit of an instant death if there are enemies nearby. So, I guess no.
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

mouth wrote:
Drakan wrote:I think the black spiders should have had their own effect: Partial Paralysis.

Well, I think that would probably be a bit of an instant death if there are enemies nearby. So, I guess no.
Of course, no. Such effect doesn't always mean an instant death. Its all on difficulty setting. It would be slow and painful on Still Kicking. :evillaugh:
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Ghoste wrote:
mouth wrote:

Of course, no. Such effect doesn't always mean an instant death. Its all on difficulty setting. It would be slow and painful on Still Kicking. :evillaugh:
How about preventing the player from running for a while, the same/similar effect which tranqulizer darts had in Deus Ex?