When did you first discover BLOOD?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

i can add something. in the time BLOOD was out internet was poor in former USSR, and other things (like magazines or something) were hard to get (and of course no "PCgamer russian edition" or similar stuff). but.
the first full version of Blood i've got was pirated too, however it was "full" version, i.e. it was a copy of original CD with cd-tracks and stuff (in those days many games were cut - like DN3D which was pretty small in install and had no stuff like audio tracks), but as usual pirates (it's hard to call them pirates - but it's another story) changed design a bit. first page of cover had a hi-res drawing of Blood logo (not hand but a huge gargoyle above letter BLOOD much a like start screen in blood if you have no demos in the folder) - and i don't know where they get hi-res version. the last page (CD case back actually) had a guy in bath. it was turned horisontal (i believe because horizontal layout of CD case) and it wasn't overlayed by ANY drawings or text. not like on the pic Willis submitted. was it from the flyer? because it was too a hi-res quality and clean picture...

2 DD (sorry that YOUR letters would be hard to print - it'll try russian letters instead): yeah, i've seen blood far before relese. before ANY demo. even mentions were few (i didn't even heard of it at the time to be correct). and i already killed a lot of cultists, gargoyles and other beasts. as you may remember Alpha contained several fully functional and pretty finished maps. the only thing that could stop me was balance. however old pitchfork (its' fearfull alt-fire) helped a lot whenever i got out of ammo. and i first draw my own rooms for Blood in mapedit too. faaaaaar before any releases. yeah, i guess i'm lucky:)
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Willis wrote:I remember the guy in the bloody tub advertisements, they also use the graphic on the shareware retail box.

Too bad I didn't keep any of those old game magazines.

Could this be Blood's underlying homoerotic side? Did they use it for Shareware and then not for the first registered version? If not, why not...

At least it explains why the civilians are all stripped down to those shabby shorts... they've all been bathing in "bloody" bathtubs! There's logic after all! :lol:
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

This is kindof off topic, but the pics of the shareware box made me think of it. I've found a copy of the shareware version (retail box version) for sale, I have two copies of BLOOD and one of each expansion. Would you guys buy the shareware retail?

Cause I'm thinking about it just for the box. :?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I would.
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Damien_Azreal wrote:This is kindof off topic, but the pics of the shareware box made me think of it. I've found a copy of the shareware version (retail box version) for sale, I have two copies of BLOOD and one of each expansion. Would you guys buy the shareware retail?

Cause I'm thinking about it just for the box. :?
Certainly not.
Wait, I have at least 5. Hrmm

The guy soaking in the tub was on advertisements in magazines, and as I posted, on the retail shareware box. It never made it onto any retail full versions however. I feel that was probably a wise choice as it really had very little to do with the game other than being immersed in blood. The shareware box had the tub on the back, but nothing on the cd or its case.

-ED; your Russian version has me quite intruiged. The man soaking in a tub of blood without being overlayed with anything was only in advertisements to the best of my recollection. The Gargoyle over the Blood stone logo was from the European release by Eidos & GT, but had absoltely no reference to the tub.

So it sounds like the Russian pirate version was a cross between European Disc version cover art, American ad content, and retail American content (though I'm pretty sure the European release had the audio tracks, I believe it had some French documentation with it [maybe that was only in physical manual format though]).
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

Oh yes! CDs being pressed at the time in russia were cool. i mean they were insane:) because in itself CD contained plain american version. I later found a used REAL blood CDs (but without big boxes already:( i want them too, may be one day...), and i had a chance to compare... damn, i gave that russsian version to a friend when i got real CDs, i wish i didn't. i think i could sent it to you Willis and that would add to your collection... I'll try to track down my old fella and if he didn't get rid of CD (don't ask, but he could do it) i'll take it back (i'm sure he doesn't need it anyway if he still got it) and send to you...:)

in general, russian pirates were messy people. instead of simply scanning covers they used to try collages, other fonts, etc. and usually it ended up in such an awful pics! who-ho. only several times I've found CDs which were at least not terribly designed (like mentioned Blood) or simply had copies of designs of original releases. Cd contents however are usually just plain copies of american versions or reaps that can be found on warez ftps.

later on Blood appeard thousand times on different collections (like "coolest FPS autumn 1999" etc. - pirates used cool names for CDs too:)) along with other stuff (and certanly without audio music and movies), there were collections like "blood world" where "authors" tried to put on CD as much BLOOD as they cood. I think they managed to archive B2, B2NL, B, BPP and BCP... wonderful isn't it?:)
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

For my own amusement, in the Future, I'm planning on designing my own Ultimate Blood DVD.

And an idea that has been brought up by Cruiach in the past that I am quite interested in is a limited edition DVD Case for Transfusion with a content CD/DVD, of course being not for profit. I think the dedicated people at this forum deserve such a treasure. This is on my list of things to pick back up on soon with my game launchers.

In fact, I should take suggestions on this, I think I'll start a new thread for it.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Willis, that would kick ass. The more Blood content any of us can get out is great. And a DVD type thing would awesome. :D Like what other type of stuff would you put on it? I would think like the Blood trailer, posters or screens. All the extra Blood stuff that we could get hand son would be great for a compalation DVD type thing.

Oh yeah, the shareware thing kindof fell out. The retail boxed copy sold, and the onl yother copy they had was just the disc, no jewel case... and they guy wanted like 15 bucks. :shock: I'll just have to search for that.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

That's too bad man :( . Something like that would deffinatly be something to snag if you find it.
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Damien_Azreal; pm on the SW box.

As for the Blood DVD, that one most likely would not be public, it would contain every version of Blood releases, patches, videos, user maps, full scans of all retail boxes and such, etc....

To put together everything minus all the retail versions, it would take far less than a CD I'd imagine.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be a public type give away or anything. Just sounds like a very cool idea.
DemonPostalWrkr
Cultist

Post by DemonPostalWrkr »

That DVD sounds great. BTW Willis, I am the guy who sent you the tattoos (Dan Gauthier). I havent been paying attention to blood in a while, but my life came to a screetching halt after some bad descessions and being stabbed in the back by my so called friend. Anyways, would this dvd include foreign version of blood?
)))000(((
Cultist

Post by )))000((( »

I downloaded the demo a veeeery long time ago... do not remember the detail. Downloaded the full version and the plasma pack of the web in 2003. Found your bloody game by searching for Quake mods...

A DVD disk has 4.7 gigs of space can you find enoth blood stuff to fill the whole CD?
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Wow... that's a lot of room...

Blood : The Deathmask Collection

Includes :

Every version of Blood ever made.
All Blood videos and music files.
Limited edition Transfusion preview.
Plasma Pak and Cryptic Passage add-on.

:D
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Ðædalu§ Ðeathmask wrote:Wow... that's a lot of room...

Blood : The Deathmask Collection

Includes :

Every version of Blood ever made.
All Blood videos and music files.
Limited edition Transfusion preview.
Plasma Pak and Cryptic Passage add-on.

:D
That would be cool. 8)