*New Blood-1 addon* - *OUT NOW*

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

I've never heard of Dead Silence before.

I think I'll have to look into that based on your high praise, wangho. :)

wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Blood of Nightmares wrote:could you still make it? and which levels are similar to Dead Silence?
There's a few new sequences in the Nuthouse map that are pretty chilling and will give you the creeps, especially if you like scary dolls and such. No theatre in the back of the woods, but I still do love the notion of an abandoned theatre in the swampy woods
kurt wrote:I've never heard of Dead Silence before.

I think I'll have to look into that based on your high praise, wangho. :)

well, it's not exactly The Shining or a classic in that sense, but I had fun watching Dead Silence and it kept me on edge with some great scenes.
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Post by Blood of Nightmares »

wangho wrote:There's a few new sequences in the Nuthouse map that are pretty chilling and will give you the creeps, especially if you like scary dolls and such. No theatre in the back of the woods, but I still do love the notion of an abandoned theatre in the swampy woods
You could probably still make one if you have any room for it.
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Oh yeah. Wangho updated his youtube channel showing off his (her? well you never know) Evil Dead cabin level which he (she?) seemed to forgot to post it here as a update so I might as well do it for him/her. (warning: this might contain some spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJEhuEywMkk&feature=user
Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

it's still a work in progress, i just wanted to show off the cool midi
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

BTW try to get that howling wind sound from Evil Dead and also the ambient sound that can be heard in the cellar.
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

Promising to this eye i must say, i'm thrilled with the use of ambience in order to create a dramatic and tense experience. Despite being a WIP i'll offer opinions nevertheless. Despite using a cramped and claustrophobic design it seems to have worked well, due to the shadowy coloring and dark, musty textures. The music fits the map well, however the texture used in the bathroom is a tad ugly and looks somewhat out of place. I absolutely loved the silouette of the Butcher actually being an enemy that spawns in, i never thought scripting of that kind would be possible.

Clever idea placing shrooms to make the player anxious of what he may encounter around the corner.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

the yellow texture is kinda weird I agree. I tried to find a texture to match how the bathroom looked i the original film, kinda like yellow paper. It's a weird looking thing in the film. I'll get something better for it, its kind of a placeholder. It's one of the first maps I started designing in the project and has had the least amount of revisions. It's kind of flat and blocky, but for this, I tried to keep it close to the original movie cabin.

Oh, the butcher silhouette is small potatos really, there's a LOT more interesting stuff going on in 'and around' that small house and these days when I go back to work on it I can fix things and make it even better once I get back to it. It is the darkest map in the addon (besides the right wing of Nuthouse) and I wonder if I should lighten it up. I feel like it'll lose that musky, dead look though
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Krypto wrote:Promising to this eye i must say, i'm thrilled with the use of ambience in order to create a dramatic and tense experience. Despite being a WIP i'll offer opinions nevertheless. Despite using a cramped and claustrophobic design it seems to have worked well, due to the shadowy coloring and dark, musty textures. The music fits the map well, however the texture used in the bathroom is a tad ugly and looks somewhat out of place. I absolutely loved the silouette of the Butcher actually being an enemy that spawns in, i never thought scripting of that kind would be possible.

Clever idea placing shrooms to make the player anxious of what he may encounter around the corner.
the 'shroom thing happens because if you've ever seen Evil Dead 2, there is a sequence where Ash goes a little nuts and gets light-headed. There is this peculiar sound effect playing that sounds like that 'creaking' sound effect. Hopefully, it goes over pretty well and creates that effect.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

hey lookout..

a bunch of boxens

gittin' gas

eatin' sammiches

Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

very nice. need more details though. but nice!
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

it's a deserted ghost town

you put too much crap in there and it gets sloppy and hard to play. Too much candy is bad for the teeth
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

I also notice that Wangho's youtube channel got suspended, whats up with that?
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Blood of Nightmares wrote:I also notice that Wangho's youtube channel got suspended, whats up with that?
ok, that's beyond LAME. I posted a few Blood maps, gameplay from the addon, and a Quake 2 map. WTF!!?
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Work continues with the BPF project. I'm getting closer and closer to nailing the lid shut on maps that were started over a year ago. It's a process, certainly. So much work has gone into this thing and I think we're really hitting the ball out of the park with BPF. I think these maps are the closest quality to retail that you'll find and ALL the bells and whistles are included.. and more..

Here's a few shots from one of the very last maps in the first episode of the addon, called the "Backlot." This is maybe the most active Blood map you will ever play. You'll be able to smell the "rotten candy." Seriously, you'll maybe hear about 20 different sounds going on all at once without sounding like overkill. If you like the Dark Carnival, this is BPF's answer to that.