New Blood Map - The Nuthouse

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

wangho
Acolyte

New Blood Map - The Nuthouse

Post by wangho »

Merry Bloody Christmas, here's a new map I made featuring a big abandoned horror house. It feels less abandoned the more you explore. Have fun..http://www.bloodgame.ru/download/maps-w ... thouse.zip
Last edited by wangho on Thu Apr 19, 2007 08:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phosphoric Acid
Quixotic

Post by Phosphoric Acid »

This map is actually quite fun after the extremely dark section is complete, i enjoyed the last half of the map mostly due to it being light, and quite creative, thought there wasn't anything wrong with the first half, its just the darkness, it can make seeing 1 foot in front of you incredibly difficult, which is why i recommend anyone who wishes to play the map should play it at night or in a room with no source of light available.

What i liked especially in this map is the theatre, i liked the layout and how the grey faced man in the royal seating was laughing, i found that quite unique, and the sound echoed brilliantly.

Thank you for shearing this map wangho, i enjoyed it.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Phosphoric Acid wrote:This map is actually quite fun after the extremely dark section is complete, i enjoyed the last half of the map mostly due to it being light, and quite creative, thought there wasn't anything wrong with the first half, its just the darkness, it can make seeing 1 foot in front of you incredibly difficult, which is why i recommend anyone who wishes to play the map should play it at night or in a room with no source of light available.

What i liked especially in this map is the theatre, i liked the layout and how the grey faced man in the royal seating was laughing, i found that quite unique, and the sound echoed brilliantly.

Thank you for shearing this map wangho, i enjoyed it.
Im getting some negative feedback on the darkness, but it's actually quite fine and viewable with dim or no lights and you can see normally and tell where you are going.

I wanted to make the theatre a bit larger and have a room directly behind the movie screen, but by that time, I kinda boxed myself in and had to make do. For the most part, I achieved what I wanted with the theatre and the nutty laughing old man up there hanging out in the royal seating
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Yeah i've played some of it still in the dark and sure it's almost pitch black but it works very well for the mood, i think it's very impressive i esspecially like the sprite collages to make wierd ghostly apperitions,
ca't wait to play on.

one thing though i had a very quick sneak preview in mapedit and was suprised it works at all :shock: most original Blood maps and other maps i've seen are sort of made like tunnels where anything that the player dosen't need to get to dosen't exist using a mix of white and red walls but you've put your level inside a massive white sector and made it entirely out of redwalled sectors this could have cuased you some errors and trouble that you needen't have had, it works fine by the looks of it so no worries but for the future extract the original blood levels and examine how they did it it VERY helpfull
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

RedFanatic wrote:Yeah i've played some of it still in the dark and sure it's almost pitch black but it works very well for the mood, i think it's very impressive i esspecially like the sprite collages to make wierd ghostly apperitions,
ca't wait to play on.

one thing though i had a very quick sneak preview in mapedit and was suprised it works at all :shock: most original Blood maps and other maps i've seen are sort of made like tunnels where anything that the player dosen't need to get to dosen't exist using a mix of white and red walls but you've put your level inside a massive white sector and made it entirely out of redwalled sectors this could have cuased you some errors and trouble that you needen't have had, it works fine by the looks of it so no worries but for the future extract the original blood levels and examine how they did it it VERY helpfull
yeah, it may be the wrong way to make a Blood map, but my intent was to keep it open to add background, like a huge sign or something hanging far in the back left overlooking the house miles away, stuff like that, landscape. With white walls, you can only build within a boundary I think, right? I dunno, still alot of things about mapedit to get used to. But hell, im glad it worked! Glad you liked it Red and Phosphoric..
Phosphoric Acid
Quixotic

Post by Phosphoric Acid »

I apologise for sounding quite negative towards the darkness of half the level, yes RedFanatic you're correct about it working well with the mood, i do agree with you my friend, and it is fairly easy to see where you are going as long as your not playing during the day where light from the outside darkens the computer screen forcing you to turn the gamma to maximum, as i did while playing during the day, but as long as no source of light can reflect off the screen and is fairly dark within the room then all should be a pleasure.

It was wonderful to play through your map wangho, have you created other blood maps previously?
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Phosphoric Acid wrote:I apologise for sounding quite negative towards the darkness of half the level, yes RedFanatic you're correct about it working well with the mood, i do agree with you my friend, and it is fairly easy to see where you are going as long as your not playing during the day where light from the outside darkens the computer screen forcing you to turn the gamma to maximum, as i did while playing during the day, but as long as no source of light can reflect off the screen and is fairly dark within the room then all should be a pleasure.

It was wonderful to play through your map wangho, have you created other blood maps previously?
Started on one before this one, but never finished it. It wasnt really a map, but a walk through a snowy mountain village. I was learning mapedit on it, but it isnt really playable, still pretty neat I think, for what it is.. Im working on more maps though, Im working on one that has an Evil Dead vibe to it, backwoodsy, coming along nicely and another that is the backlot to The Nuthouse, a sequel.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Wangho, any screenshots of your map?
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

Interesting Map. The Jumping Phantasm could have been moved in front to scare the player.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Harry wrote:Interesting Map. The Jumping Phantasm could have been moved in front to scare the player.
Coulda, but that same trick was used in the house sorta, besides, that jumping Phantasm is supposed to be like a mechanical attraction like you'd find at Cpt. Sapulding's gas station in the House of 1000 Corpses flick.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

predator wrote:Wangho, any screenshots of your map?
here's one

http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 048eo9.jpg
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Cool.
You could use some more to promote your map.

I'm not at home now and I can't play your map, but I can at least take a look at the screenshots. :)
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

predator wrote:Cool.
You could use some more to promote your map.

I'm not at home now and I can't play your map, but I can at least take a look at the screenshots. :)
Ill put some more up. You havent played it yet? No Win98? What's the ratio of you guys not being able to play Blood because of winXP anyway?

..and 'Predator,' where I have I seen your name besides on this forum? Were you on the Bloodlines team? Here's a few more. I just thought the last pic looked cool

http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ss000016us4.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ss000033ep5.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ss000043qb9.jpg
http://img54.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ss000059uu6.jpg
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Looks like an interesting map. I'll play it after I get back home.

The reason I can't play it now is not that I don't have win98 anymore (although I really don't) - I'm simply not at home.

I don't know if we ever met before or if you just saw my nick somewhere, it's possible. If it was something related to Blood, Transfusion or Painkeep it was probably me you met.
But it wasn't anything related to Bloodlines for sure - I didn't have anything to do with that project - cool project by the way.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

predator wrote:Looks like an interesting map. I'll play it after I get back home.

The reason I can't play it now is not that I don't have win98 anymore (although I really don't) - I'm simply not at home.

I don't know if we ever met before or if you just saw my nick somewhere, it's possible. If it was something related to Blood, Transfusion or Painkeep it was probably me you met.
But it wasn't anything related to Bloodlines for sure - I didn't have anything to do with that project - cool project by the way.
Yaa, Bloodlines is really cool, except it lacks combat and action. Cool tricks and design, but it lacks a big ingredient I think