Vista to Blood: This system does not support fullscreen mode

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DustyStyx
2D Artist

Vista to Blood: This system does not support fullscreen mode

Post by DustyStyx »

Well, we got Vista Enterprise Edition at work today. Naturally I decided to try and run Blood on it.

I went to fire up setup to nix the sound and turn down the video rezolution, where I was greeted with a notification that Setup needs to be run in Administrator mode, we've disabled local Admins here at work in favor of network wide group policy guidelines and I guess the upper ups thought it'd be best if we didn't have that kind of access. No worries, edit blood.cfg still works.

After dumbing Blood down to it's most stable mode (at least for XP) I added in the -quick tag into the MS-DOS shortcut (which looks and acts mostly like XP's) I go to fire it up... "This system does not support fullscreen mode." Yes, it appears that the good folks at Microsoft decided that they could just nix fullscreen DOS mode all together.... I wonder if there's a registry setting that can be change, because honestly it dosen't seem to be that big of a deal, unless there's something up with the whole "Aero" thing.

It looks like DOSBox seems to be the general consensus of how to get things working on Vista about the web right now. I've not tried installing VDMSound so that may yet work, also GLDOS might be another option if you have that.
Last edited by DustyStyx on Thu Nov 30, 2006 09:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

QEMU is a very good option too, though you'll have to provide your own Windows (95b/95c/98se work nicely) or DOS for it to install with.
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

WTF :shock: Doesn't even have Full Screen mode? what's the point in making Vista if their going to mess everything up. Why are a bunch of retards in charge of making an OS.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Krypto wrote:Why are a bunch of retards in charge of making an OS.
That's the 50 billion dollar question we've want answered for over 10 years :lol:
anon

Full-screen works on some Vista setups

Post by anon »

Fullscreen mode works in Vista if the driver supports it. It seems that old low-powered video cards get fullscreen support in Vista. It isn't in the drivers for high-powered hardware - yet.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

How "old low-powered" do you need to be? I was testing on a GeForce 5200 / 128 MB.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

"low power" probably refers to Geforce4 and under (basically anything that doesn't have Pixel Shader 2)