Blood conversion for Doom2

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

On my count there must be no less than 10 identical topics in all Blood forums in all time. :) And they all died one by one. (right after the author faces the difficulties the project has to offer).
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Well I read through all of those posts and I still can't understand if ZBlood is a BLOOD port, or not. Because if it is, I actually don't mind the fact that the level structure must be changed due to the fact that the engine can't handle anything like the original levels, but I don't see why do you have to randomly put DOOM's sprites in it? If you don't have anything to put in that corner, put nothing - don't put DOOM stuff. From second level onwards, theres an equal amount of BLOOD's textures as there are DOOM's textures, even DOOM's enemies. And level structure doesn't even resemble BLOOD.

Just rename the project to something like DoomBlood, and people may accept it for what it is - a DOOM mod which uses some of BLOOD's art and sounds.
psyren (guest)

Post by psyren (guest) »

Good point Dimebog, but I can't really answer that and never thought about it. What is a "port" anyway?

I think a "port" is a "source-port" that enhances and/or changes the game engine, to run on some other system than it was made for, but doesn't change the game itself in any other way. JonoF didn't add anything to Duke or Shadow Warrior, he just updated - ported - the source code to run with better machines.

So I have to say that GZDoom is a port, ZBLood is NOT. This was something made using the the possibilities that the port allows. Because of the limitations of the port, it must change the game.

I define a "total conversion" as CONVERTING the graphics, sounds, etc., from one game engine/platform to another.

That is what I did, shamelessly raping my Blood files to get what I wanted. Consider me a pirate if you must, but I paid full price for my "One Unit Whole Blood", and I won't let it die so easily.

I used to really believe in West Coast people, (USA, from LA to Seattle,) we are the most progressive of Americans, always! The thought that some dumbasses in Washington (the State) managed to lose the source-code for Blood really p*** me off. Not a single one of you Monolith people ever kept a backup of anything? Jesus frigging Tits! Shame on you! I must say. And if you're holding out for Atari to pay you some big bonus, then even more more shame shame on you!

But if that source-code appears, I'll be first in line to fall down and give prayers to my new God. "Great and Awesome Lord Tchernobog! Thou hast arisen!" :)
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

might I just say that I dont think Blood in particular would really benefit from a facelift in the same vein as say.... Shadow Warrior or DN with the JonOF stuff. That's just me, im pretty happy with the graphics and stuff. Gritty. Raw. Dirty. Blood just needs more addon makers is all.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Well, they said it's considered lost. Maybe it was just simpler for them to say so. Maybe it wasn't.

Anyway. Port or no port - is DOOM stuff really necessary? You compared the efforts of the TF team and your own putting them in the same basket.

TF is an attempt to recreate BLOOD, which is quite different from attempts to enhance BLOOD, or well, if I got that right, to enhance DOOM by adding BLOOD content into it. The fact remains that these people (except for DOOM fans maybe), essentially don't care for DOOM, enhanced or not. We just want to play BLOOD.

On the brighter side. Maybe your mod was fun to some people. It did make me smile for a moment. In fact I finished most of the levels before I got sickened by those props and decorations, and well, monsters that Tchernobog summoned all the way from Phobos. So it's not DOOM, but it's not BLOOD. The only perspective I used to see in this project, would be a possibility (if there is such) to modify the mod further, and make it compatible with classic Doom2. That would ultimately mean that I could play it on my cellphone, and I'd rather play that than plain DOOM when I'm on the move. When I'm at my computer, I just play BLOOD. And it's neither for the graphics or name, but gameplay, mechanics, balance... Stuff like that.

I said all this only to make it clear to some people who think that "effort is not appreciated". Why do you think the Transfusion project is getting appreciation? They weren't even outrageous enough to put the word "BLOOD" in the title? Effort is always appreciated, but you need to look for the appreciation in the right places. I just can't say for sure that I understand what is the goal behind ZBlood, and what are all the efforts for. To enhance DOOM? Bring more popularity to ZDoom? Make ZDoom kiddies confused about what is BLOOD in the first place?

So all I have are these two questions:
1. What IS the intention behind ZBlood?
2. Is it possible to port it to legacy D2 engine, and thus find for it a practical use?

When I understand those two things, I will be able to justly review it.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

I think ZBlood is designed to dethrone and eradicate the one original Blood. To make it cease to exist. To make the uninformed believe it to exist only within the Doom universe. Let's burn the witch!!!!! String him up!!!
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Man, whats with all this flaming???

If someone wants to make something Blood-related go for it, if certain people dont like it then you have every right not to play it.

The guys liked Blood and used another engine to create more if it. I thought the mod was pretty cool myself, far from actual Blood, but it brought back alot of fond memories.

Honestly people, stop waiting for the impossible to happen, Blood will never be created exactly like the original, even Transfusion wont be exactly the same. And I can guarantee even if Monolith themselves announced a Blood remake, it wouldnt be the same.

Just please enjoy the fact that some people are still trying to give us something new to play in this series ...
Lioyd_Irving
Axe Zombie

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

ZDoom offers a way to remake all the game system to the last detail using the DECORATE patch. He should use it.

Post by Guest »

Man, some of you guys are a real riot!

I'm just going to give up on this idea altogether and start a new project that more people will be able appreciate.

Here's the first sample screenshot:

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:Man, whats with all this flaming???

If someone wants to make something Blood-related go for it, if certain people dont like it then you have every right not to play it.

The guys liked Blood and used another engine to create more if it. I thought the mod was pretty cool myself, far from actual Blood, but it brought back alot of fond memories.

Honestly people, stop waiting for the impossible to happen, Blood will never be created exactly like the original, even Transfusion wont be exactly the same. And I can guarantee even if Monolith themselves announced a Blood remake, it wouldnt be the same.

Just please enjoy the fact that some people are still trying to give us something new to play in this series ...
Did you even read what I said? I didn't say anything against the project. ZBlood is just DOOM with some of BLOOD's art and sounds. Do I have the right to not like it? I didn't say a single word against it, in fact, I was keeping my silence, and then some guest bumped in to warn us of our lack of appreciation and respect for the project, I have all the rights in the world not to care for ZBlood. Are you going to force me to support the project? I also never said I don't like ZBlood because it's not exactly like BLOOD. I don't like it because I see DOOM sprites and textures everywhere. Do I have the right to not like them? Please, just let me be.

Imagine a piece of sh.it lying on the street, with a huge "BLOOD" tag on it. Oh, look it's a BLOODSHlT! If you don't have the words of praise for it, you're a friggin flamer. Well what's the point of BLOODSHlT? I don't know but it's BLOOD related! Yay!
Caleb --2nd
Zealot

Post by Caleb --2nd »

lol the last pic is f*** hilirious !
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

I was being tongue in cheek with what I said and being funny. ZBlood is cool and all to introduce Doom players to the world of Blood. I don't believe you should have EVERY Blood map remade though. People will play ZBlood and not even worry about the real thing. The best thing about the project would be introducing new fans to Blood
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

wangho wrote:I was being tongue in cheek with what I said and being funny. ZBlood is cool and all to introduce Doom players to the world of Blood. I don't believe you should have EVERY Blood map remade though. People will play ZBlood and not even worry about the real thing. The best thing about the project would be introducing new fans to Blood
I'll agree on some points:

ZBlood is cool to a degree.

DOOM stuff in it is not cool, but that's me.

Third point - no. People say "What? Theres a BLOOD game? I thought it's a ZDoom mod...". But I don't mind that that either.

I don't mind anything except not having my right to not like something.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Dimebog wrote:I don't mind anything except not having my right to not like something.
That's word, homie; true.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

For someone spewing about not reading posts then you should scroll up just a bit and see where I said EXACTLY this:

"if certain people dont like it then you have every right not to play it. "

You not liking it is understandable, you degrading someone elses hard work when all they are trying to do is keep the spirit alive is not.....