Features Of Blood3

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

Daedalus: Absolutely positively 100% true. I just can't image a Modern Blood with the same Atmosphere, enemies, gameplay, weapons. Sure the build engine is old and was made for DOS but it's just so perfect making the build games enjoyable. In Blood the enemies are made from sprites but they look damn realistic and scary, along with the weapons, storyline and the ingeniously done levels. The simple fun gameplay can never be replaced or replicated in a modern day sequel and engine.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Daedalus and the followers: Though it is likely developers would screw up, I wouldn't say it it's impossible to match or even exceed the original with the right people behind it. Every game is but a product that needs to be sold, Blood was no exception to this rule. You speak of 'love' but let's not forget Blood is also but a grabbag of different idea's that got put together in haste. There are lot's of obvious and major flaws and gaps in the game (bugs, story) that we choose to disregard, basicly because Monolith got lucky and hit the right note with the fans.

Modern day technology doensn't conflict with old-school style gameplay if we would choose for it. I mean, they could easily make an enhanced build engine.

Even still, I'd still vote for using current tech and bend it too our needs. Build and hordes of flat enemies is hardly a garantee for succes. It is the atmosphere, and if there's anything fancy engines can do, it's adding atmosphere. The problem is just developpers don't do it right. But this shouldn't mean it can't be done.

Besides, it's not like we've got a lot to loose.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Dear oBe,

Name one game post 2000 that has gameplay as addictive and replayable as Blood's single play and I'll surely forfeit.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Legacy of Kain Defiance.

Gorgeous graphics, horror themed, intense epic storyline. But I doubt that really matters as that's more or less subjective.

My point is, it's not impossible and we've got nothing to loose if they tried. Hell, even if they don't get it right the third time, then maybe the fourth. I'd hate to see them/everyone give up. Where are we if everyone refused to even try?
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

You are correct on the second count, I never said Blood cannot be beaten, I just clarified that the way the industry is going, Blood sure doesn't stand much of a chance.

Concerning this game I've never played, I suppose it was foolish of me to enter this grey area. After all, it all falls down to opinion. So I suppose my argument amounts to nothing at all. There is no mathematical formula to measure a game's quality or fun factor. It's all about the player's perception of it. Just because I like natural titties doesn't mean that fake titties are wrong. :P

All in all, this doesn't change the fact that Blood III will conform and, in doing so, destroy itself. It pleases me -- horror originals are always immortalized and receive tons of crummy sequels and remakes. Blood is and will be no different.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

When you assume things, you make an ass out of you and me ;)

Not every horror sequel is doomed in advance and many series would be nothing without their sequels. In the very least, 'they have their charm'.

That said, I don't even think the comparison goes up. You said yourself it would be near impossible to get the original team back. You deem it impossible there's other people with fresh and new ideas after ten years? There's little point in redoing the same thing (save for Transfusion of course).

Perhaps that was Blood's key ingredient. The fact they were a new company with new people instead of one that's been around for ages.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Blood's a mixed bag, fact. What you need to understand, however, is that you might have brilliantly Bloodish ideas, I might have brilliantly Bloodish ideas, Jack, up the road, may have ingenious Blood concepts in mind, but we are not a company. No magical conglomeration of Blood lovers and revolutionaries are going to be assembled. It'll be a crack-team of men over at some giant corporation trying to squeeze cash out of a title.

As soon as a play or character is out of its writer's hands, the message is lost and the plot and concept diluted. Now I have touched math at last. Probability. All factors weighed, the chances of a new Blood title being equal to or greater than the original Blood are slim. What's truly sad is that there's little many, if any, of us can do about this. Games don't aim for fun anymore, they aim for cinematic appeal.

It's funny. When it comes to the crunch, Blood is more of an idea or concept than a game. I've always believed Blood to somehow be more than a game and this discussion proves that, if nothing else. Mark my words; hypothetically speaking, Blood III will be a thrill, no doubt, but its novelty and appeal would quickly crumble under the original's charm, replayability and sick style.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

*cracks knuckles* :twisted:

Well, that sounds like a whole other discussion.

You're saying a series will never be as good as the first one because the freshness is off it. Sorta like the first time you see the Matrix doesn't quite compare to the sixteenth time you watch the third one. Well, yeah, but that's more of a personal internal process and doesn't directly relate to the quality of the product.

I'm saying a Blood 3 could rock the planet if done right by the right people. Fortunately Blood doesn't have a single writer and I'm pretty sure there's enough people that know what they can do with a zombie cowboy out for revenge. And ofcourse, the second sequel is less fresh then the first, but that doesn't mean it's pointless making it. Also, let's not forget we have our precious Blood 1, noone can take it from us (except for microsoft) and we do have room for more. Who knows, something fresh might even attract new players.

There's more games that evolved and changed their initial concept, (like my precious Legacy of Kain series) but from it doesn't necessairily mean for the worse.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

No different. Same discussion, different wording.
oBe wrote:You're saying a series will never be as good as the first one because the freshness is off it. Sorta like the first time you see the Matrix doesn't quite compare to the sixteenth time you watch the third one. Well, yeah, but that's more of a personal internal process and doesn't directly relate to the quality of the product.
Affirmative, but I've been constantly justifying the original's novelty as well as its quality. I've been comparing the two and showing that it's a delicious blend. Uhh, of Blood, not the Matrix! :wink:
oBe wrote:I'm saying a Blood 3 could rock the planet if done right by the right people. *** Something fresh might attract new players.
I'm saying the exact same thing. There's the technology and the people to do it, but it won't happen. It's highly improbable. Also, and this is a whole other discussion, but I'm not sure I want a bunch of superficial teens claiming to be Blood fans, purely on their having experienced a bastardized modern version.

We are suggesting the same thing, you and I. We both want the same thing, but I say that it's highly improbable and you're saying it can happen. Peace, brother. 8)
Last edited by Daedalus on Sat Oct 21, 2006 05:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

It should be noted that Flagship Studios, creators of Hellgate London are purposely not using the latest tech because they dont want the ability to render the action they have in mind to be limited because the engine is busy with some depth of field nonsense or whatnot. Thats a game company that loves what they do (considering many of them are ex-Blizzard employees who didnt want to work on soulless MMOs).
I just can't image a Modern Blood with the same Atmosphere, enemies, gameplay, weapons.
I can. Slightly different atmosphere as it has a bit more horror in my mind... but I seriously can. I should detail these things sometime, at least in pseudo privacy with Willis or Kazashi.

Games can still be made with love, what we need are people who want to make games, not money in the industry. It is in fact my goal to do such - financially all I want is to not worry about food and transportation. I have multiple serious game designs cooked up, but no team. Blood3 is one that has been knocking on the door a lot lately...
Blood is more of an idea or concept than a game. I've always believed Blood to somehow be more than a game and this discussion proves that, if nothing else.
Welcome to the passion of the core Quake community there, they feel the same regarding their game. And the hunt for a real sequel to that goes on as well, the question is... who could do it? Both games are fragile in their charm, but I care about too immensely for my imagination to not seduce such concepts as proper sequels.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Some good points, sir. The Blizzard part rings true as I'm very familiar with their work and decline. I hope you can one day realise your goal and succeed in it, I truly do.

Perhaps there is some hope for a proper Blood III after all. . .
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Well thats whats so good about things like Transfusion you can be sure of the quality and loyalty to the original,
but i still think that if you manage to collect enough material and description about a story and world as long as it's well presented and detailed but not too detailed you can light the same fire in someone who dosen't know of the game that a stone cold fan would have.

for example Sin Episodes now i can't say that im an expert on Sin but i have had a look at the first one and played all the way through Episodes and it looks to me like the people who recreated it really liked and 'got' the original and made not only an awesomely fun game on it's own but a respectfull continuation.

thats why it would be good if we on this forum could put our heads together and create a really comrehensive and detailed dream Blood 3 site or pdf or something just incase it lights up some project leader somewhere who runs with it.