map2map converter?

Discuss aspects of converting Blood maps to DarkPlaces.
xavior
Rat

map2map converter?

Post by xavior »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to fiddle with porting BUILD maps (specifically duke) to quake format, and I was wondering if anybody still has this elusive "map2map" program? thanks,
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Welcome to the forums xavior,

I couldn't find the exe, it's around here someplace, I'm not one of the mappers, but I copied the source code here: map2map

I'm not sure if that's the latest version, but you might find it useful.

If you want to convert Blood maps, you will have to convert the Blood map file to a build map file first, using Blud2B. You can fine that on our sourceforge page in the ReBUILD section. I think you can just use map2map to convert Duke maps straight off tho.

Thanks go to BlackB, Some1, Timothy Hale for writing map2map it in the first place.
xavior
Rat

Post by xavior »

Yay, it compiled and worked :) Only problem now is that there are no texture names and there are a ton of "Extra" pieces of geometry.. did a better job than dukeconv though! Thank you very much DustyStyx
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Good to hear. Good luck with your project.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

The converter souce code is available? Sweet! :)
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Sure, it's GPL. I'm sure it was around here someplace. Probably burred in the SVN.
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

DustyStyx wrote:Sure, it's GPL. I'm sure it was around here someplace. Probably burred in the SVN.
Indeed. Years ago, I imported the various versions of it I had back then into our SF.net SVN : http://blood.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... s/map2map/
xavior
Rat

Post by xavior »

I was fiddling around with the code and implemented (hackishly) duke3d texture support. If anyone's interested you can get the code here. Many of the textures and brushes are mis-aligned and the sprites spawn as solid blocks, but if someone wanted to invest the time in it, I believe many duke3d maps may be quite salvageable (although lunatic fringe might pose a problem..).
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

see now, that's the beauty of openSource :D
joppe38
Rat

Post by joppe38 »

What? I didn't know that converting from build to quake is possible! Will the textures be converted too?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Well, it's more of a suggestion than a conversion. It still needs a lot of work to bring the map up to anything worth calling a map. I'm not certain about the textures, but I don't think so. I'd be nice if ILA, Slink or Predator would comment about it, but there's nothing that substitutes for experimenting. I think there are a few threads around that discuss some of the processes.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

I remember using these tools early in my project's development.

The only problem with b2build is that it always doesn't work with bigger maps (like E3M1). I thought there were different versions of those executable which could do different conversions, but oh well.

Has anyone had trouble converting from Blood > Duke?
Bloodite
Cultist

Post by Bloodite »

Corbin wrote:I remember using these tools early in my project's development.

The only problem with b2build is that it always doesn't work with bigger maps (like E3M1). I thought there were different versions of those executable which could do different conversions, but oh well.

Has anyone had trouble converting from Blood > Duke?
I dont remember if it was blud2b or map2map, it was probably map2map, but During my conversions of some of the sp maps I definitely used 2 different versions of the same program, one would make the map nearly complete and the other wouldnt, but converted tricky shapes the other didnt, I ended up using both and merging the results. I believe Tim was trying to make the converter more reliable.

Hmm, after going through my archived stuff, it appears I still have that test executable.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Yeah, when converting Blood's maps to Build's format, sometimes it won't process the map fully (gives errors then bombs), but I have yet to try another version.

If you have that test executable do you think you could upload it somewhere online or PM it to me? I'm trying to convert E3M1 at the moment to Duke's format but not having the best luck in the world. Sometimes it's easier converting a map 3 way (the end result being a Doom map) rather than building it from scratch.

EDIT: Foolish me, thinking newer is always better than older. I used an older ReBuild toolset and the version of blud2b from '04 worked like a charm. Converted it to DOOM with map2wad and it's cherry.

Thanks for the suggestion! :D
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Corbin wrote:Yeah, when converting Blood's maps to Build's format, sometimes it won't process the map fully (gives errors then bombs), but I have yet to try another version.
Please, if you have problems with Blud2b or if you find bugs in it, let me know.