Time to start piling up the bodies!

Discuss model development here.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

his eyes are too bulged, he completely lacks colorful skin tones (monotone), messy musculature, etc
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Yes, but it's a good start. He needs more red tones in certain places, as well as some slight shading on the underside. His teeth look funny (horribly low resolution and funny color) and his eyes are way too constant in color (from edge to center): They could use some variation. His nose looks too piggy. Let's leave it at that for now. Keep up the good work, man.
-Slink
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Getting closer?

Huge thanks to Cruaich for helping me.
And please, go easy on the 'etc''s.
Hellen
The Eye of Beast

Post by Hellen »

That’s it.
I don’t know anything about skinning, but I think this time I’ve got the moral right to say: this gargoyle looks uglier than it should be! As Cheapy mentioned – “messy musculature”. It’s like a shapeless mass of random dark and bright spots that don’t make any sense. Sense of shape I mean. Looks like a gargoyle fell into the dirt. Poor gargoyle.
I think the wing membrane should be the easiest part since it’s flat, no? What’s the problem with these spots then?
p

Post by p »

But its getting better. Keep up the good work!
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Ohh ohh, skin for us Hellen! It's not that hard.

oBe, he's comeing along. I'd work on the contrast some, do a squint test. It'll get there.
Hellen
The Eye of Beast

Post by Hellen »

I don’t think any of you have time/wish to show/teach me how to skin. And I’m certainly not gonna read tutorials.
You have a plenty of artists already...
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Well, none of us three 'artists' were thought how to skin by anyone, it's all a labour of love for Blood and wanting to spend time on it. Call it a leap of faith.

I've seen your photoshop skills, Hellen, you too could do this if you really wanted it and were prepared to take the criticism.

It's not that convenient skinning after a sprite because mostly I reckon the engine lighting will take care of the shadows. If not, a dead gargoyle lying on his back will have a really dark stomach-because the sprite has a really dark stomach if seen from the front- which won't make sense if the stomach is facing up.

I do take pride in my anatomy knowledge as I've studied that stuff for 4 years. Whoever complains about messy musculature is biased by the angle the model is positioned in, or other reasons. If anything, this skin is pure anatomy without a general lightsource. Give or take a few small mistakes because UV-maps aren't always that easy to figure out.

Personally I prefer a dirtier look as I believe it adds a touch of realism which Blood simply couldn't handle back in the day; though in this case, I think toning down the contrast will be the answer because the gargoyle sprite has almost no texture whatsoever. This ugly mofo has a rather smooth skin. The Cabal must have a nice set of skinlotions. :P
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

great work oBe! I love the gargoyle.

It would be cool if you did some skins for Transfusion Hellen.

actually oBe, Cruaich taught me how to skin :P
But alot of skinning is just practicing on your own.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Hellen, with the number of model canidates found in the Blood art files, a single artist would need aobut 5 years to complete the whole set if they were to model and skin 2 items per day. That dosen't even include normal maped wall textures that we might want to do. Honest, we have time, you could learn :D
Hellen
The Eye of Beast

Post by Hellen »

Firstly, what Photoshop skills are you talking about? All I can do is drawing smiling suns and happy clouds. And I’ll never move past this point.
Secondly, what’s the reason of dedicating my time to the game with such gargoyles? I’m sure such talented artist as you, oBe, could’ve invented a better way to show the skin texture than random spots of dirt. (No matter how I look, I still don’t see any “anatomy” knowledge here).
And thirdly, once again, I don’t know what models are, I don’t know how to make skins, I don’t know how to attach skins to models. You seriously want to teach me all that?
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Firstly, I'm talking about all your drawings at posty which are all photoshopcolored. There is no right way for doing it, so whatever works; works.
Secondly, it would be recommendable to start skinning with smaller objects like pick up items rather then enemies. Especially since this gargoyle is nearing completion. As for the 'talented artist' thing, your words, not mine. :|
Like I said before, I like details in the texture and a gritty feel however, I will be toning down all that to satisfy the TFplayers.
Thirdly, a model is a 3D wireframe, a skin is a 2D representation of the model, DarkPlaces wraps the skin around the model.

However I suggest getting back on topic, and twisting your arm ain't the topic. :twisted:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Hellen, as far as image editing skills go, I belive you already have what is nessisary, atleast with the way you've colored your gargoyle sketches.

Just think of the 3D model as the sketch and skinnng is where you are applying the colors you want.

All I really use when skinning is:
Layers
The area selection tools
The Fill tool
A few dfferent brush modes darken/lighten, hue/color.
smudge, and some times colne brush

For the most part Boss and I like to paint the texture, moving colors around and lighten/darken them in places, I know oBe likes to use phototextures alot, so there are a number of different ways to go about it.

The 3D rendering tools I use are java MD3 viewer and Unrea's uPaint. Boss has a third program he likes to use.

/me starts chanting "one of us, one of us"
Hellen
The Eye of Beast

Post by Hellen »

That wasn’t very informative. I already know about my Photoshop tools (and even a bit about how to use ‘em). I know nothing about 3d.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Hellen wrote:Firstly, what Photoshop skills are you talking about? All I can do is drawing smiling suns and happy clouds. And I’ll never move past this point.
Hellen wrote:I already know about my Photoshop tools (and even a bit about how to use ‘em).
:|

Another word for skinner is 2D artist, and you seem to be living under the uncommon misconception we need to know 3D. We don't, we've got Kazashi to take care of that. The only thing 3D we have to do is open up a modelviewer, click 'open model' and 'apply skin' or something similar, depending on which program you use.

How about that for being informative.