Page 3 of 4

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 02:00 am
by DustyStyx
That's one way to do it I guess....

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 02:32 am
by zZaRDoZz
heh

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:32 pm
by Tchernobog
One complaint against Steam that has not been addressed here is the fact it is just a fancy DRM distribution service. I am not all that familiar with Steam and only know what I do from second hand information, but I do know about DRM and the legal and personal implications of it.

It basically falls down to the fact that if you buy a game you should be able to do what you want with it (well, barring various obvious legal problems like redistribution). After the game is purchased you should be able to use it how you want to, because the purchase gives you that right. Any form of DRM prevents you from doing this, as it says that you don't own a game even after you buy it. Don't be afraid to correct me If there is a flaw in my argument. In short, DRM removes your right to fully use software you legally own.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:54 pm
by DustyStyx
There is a bit of a difference when it comes to a hard copy of a game and a software download.

When you actually have the disc you have a physical media you can sell. That's not the issue. The complicated part starts to show up when you have a license key. Some publishers don't care if you sell the key along with the disc, others do. For the most part, publishers don't want you to sell your activation code. This is the big reason that you can still buy or rent console games in shops like EBGames or GameSpot, but you can't buy or rent used computer games.

When you buy a game on Steam or Direct2Drive, you are really just buying the key and the right to download and play the game. You don't actually have a media you can sell. You could probably get away with selling your Steam account with ALL the games associated with it, but they get annoyed with that too.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 01:09 am
by I Live...AGAIN
I really wouldnt mind Steam if it gave you the option to download stuff if you wanted it, but in my experience it dosen't do that.
It downloads patches without permission and also downloads entire games without permission so that just in case you decide to buy it, it's already there. It's a nice feature in theory but I dont want Steam hogging my bandwidth downloading crap without my knowledge.
It's just a personal preference I guess, I think I am knowledgeable enough to patch my own software and if I want to download an entire game, I think I can handle that myself as well.
Steam in many ways reminds me of AOL. AOL has always preyed on people who dont know any better, fooling them into paying for a service they dont need.
If Steam was just a matchmaking service that also provided game and patch downloads at your choosing that would be one thing, I wouldn't mind it at all. I just dont like the intrusiveness.
Oh, and I agree with Tcherno. If I'm going to pay my hard earned money for something, I should expect that I can use it how I choose, when I choose.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 03:45 am
by Slink
ILA wrote:It downloads patches without permission and also downloads entire games without permission so that just in case you decide to buy it, it's already there.
That's not true afaik, at least not IME. However you can initialize a pre-load download manually. The rest is QFT, and I agree. Hey, that rhymed--go figure. :)

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 06:29 am
by I Live...AGAIN
Well... Like I said, that was my experience with it. But I haven't used Steam since Episode One was released so maybe it doesn't do that anymore.

My buddies are bugging me to get Left 4 Dead but I really don't want all that crap that comes with it on my computer. You cant even load L4D and play on your own LAN without Steam which is totally ghey IMO. Well,, unless you pirate it :wink:

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:27 pm
by Slink
I Live...AGAIN wrote:Well... Like I said, that was my experience with it. But I haven't used Steam since Episode One was released so maybe it doesn't do that anymore.

My buddies are bugging me to get Left 4 Dead but I really don't want all that crap that comes with it on my computer. You cant even load L4D and play on your own LAN without Steam which is totally ghey IMO. Well,, unless you pirate it :wink:
I think u only gotta log on once, then "run in offline mode" and you can use LAN.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 09:49 am
by Corbin
Steam is nice for me. I have a disorder that makes me forget things a little too more often that normal people. So I end up losing the CD's that I pay a lot of money for a day or two later...among other things really. That's why I really like Steam. I can really care less for owning the physical media, since that's what I lose so often, and I can always just redownload it whenever I'd like.

Maybe I'm weird :)

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 02:06 pm
by Slink
Clari87 wrote:...I can really care less for owning the physical media, since that's what I lose so often, and I can always just redownload it whenever I'd like.

Maybe I'm weird :)
Don't you mean you "couldn't really care less"? ;)

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 05:30 pm
by DustyStyx
Clari87 wrote:Steam is nice for me. I have a disorder that makes me forget things a little too more often that normal people. So I end up losing the CD's that I pay a lot of money for a day or two later...among other things really.
Yeah, I thought I had that disorder too... it turned out my Brother-in-law was just pawning my $#!+, you might want to check into that.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 07:38 pm
by wangho
I fukkin hate thieves!

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 09:16 pm
by zZaRDoZz
Yeah, me too!

And I also hate p*** catchers, counterfeiters, poes, exec crackers, hexers, liars, forgers, smeg artists, belligerent mother f*** with nothing better to do, water carriers, yes men, contriving sycophant bastards, and other various forms of jail bait.


So what do you say wangho? shall we join forces and smite the evil doers of the world? :P

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 09:21 pm
by Corbin
DustyStyx wrote:
Clari87 wrote:Steam is nice for me. I have a disorder that makes me forget things a little too more often that normal people. So I end up losing the CD's that I pay a lot of money for a day or two later...among other things really.
Yeah, I thought I had that disorder too... it turned out my Brother-in-law was just pawning my $#!+, you might want to check into that.
Sorry, I LOL'd. that's so messed up! =)

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 09:43 pm
by wangho
I'm all for it, Zardozz! The BS has gone on far too long hasn't it? This BS chokes the life out of...life! Time to raise consciousness, sit back and really analyze how crazy and futile the world is currently run.