Blood Source !

Cool ideas, unfortunately, they breach copyright.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Why does everyone abhor Steam, again? Because you have to enter personal information?

So why care? The CIA knows what games you are playing? Valve doesn't freakin send advertisements other than the helpful or interesting stuff on the Steam homepage and news windows. I'm not trying to defend Steam, but I just have NO idea what all the bad hubbub is about.
Generally it's an issue of identity theft, Slink. The more information you have about yourself out in the aether, the greater the chance some database will find out enough about you to have you p0wn3d.

Anything that wants anything more than your money is looking to sell you.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Slink, whether true or not, steam is seen as one more move toward a subscription service to play the games you own. True, there is no premium steam as of yet, but we've seen it happen too many times before. Steam is the business model that will change gaming forever, probably for the worse.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I understand that as a general rule of web etiquette, but what sensitive info is required by Steam?

Certainly not SSN, no credit card #, etc. ??? I use Paypal to buy Steam games.

zZaRDoZz wrote:Slink, whether true or not, steam is seen as one more move toward a subscription service to play the games you own. True, there is no premium steam as of yet, but we've seen it happen too many times before. Steam is the business model that will change gaming forever, probably for the worse.
I understand the concept. I agree to an extent. I don't want them to go all "Wal-Mart" on everyone.
Last edited by Slink on Fri Apr 10, 2009 09:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

@Dustystyx, You can always sell yourself, it's called myspace :wink:
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Slink wrote:
Tchernobog wrote:
I Live...AGAIN wrote:I hope it doesn't require Steam......
Agreed, although my opinion does not really matter considering I don't own any Valve products largely due to what I have heard about Steam.
Why does everyone abhor Steam, again? Because you have to enter personal information?

So why care? The CIA knows what games you are playing? Valve doesn't freakin send advertisements other than the helpful or interesting stuff on the Steam homepage and news windows. I'm not trying to defend Steam, but I just have NO idea what all the bad hubbub is about.

@ILA: Steam only runs when I tell it to. I told it not to run when Windows starts.

4evry1: Steam is ALMOST a subscription service, except you don't have to pay to use, only to buy software. Not only does it distribute the software to any computer you want it to, you can completely format/reinstall Windows and steam will still have your games ready for download. Games are updated automatically, and the content is usually ready for you to acquire. If you don't want to update, you can run in offline mode. All you need to do that is to have connected with it once. /rant

...Yeah, this TC or mod or whatev would definitely be on Steam, as it is based on HL2.

This is my reason exactly Slink.

I dont want Steam to do anything automatically. If I want to update my games, I'll do it myself. I dont need any help.

Here is another perfect example of why I don;t like Steam:

On another forum that I frequent, we talk about games we play and other random stuff, Well one member posts an innocent thread about, "we should have an intervention with one of the other members because his Steam profile said "So and So, has played Mount And Blade for 69.0 hours in the last 2 weeks"
The guy in question had no idea that Steam made this information available in his profile and was a little bit embarrassed that now everyone on the forum knew how much he played.
It was all pretty innocent but you can see how this might be a red flag to alot of us about Steam.
They take in ALOT of information about you while you play and are connected to it. They do not ask you if it's ok with you to share this information. They download content to your machine without asking you. It's all very dangerious IMO.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Damn, you are right. Granted, I personally don't care too much about this stuff, but it should TOTALLY be an option to block and/or disable whatever you want. That's really obnoxious of them. :(
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

:lol: LMAO
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

LOL, good one.

Good to see you still have Blood 2 installed still too :D
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

zZaRDoZz wrote:@Dustystyx, You can always sell yourself, it's called myspace :wink:
Yeah, I don't do MySpace ether. It's all just s***, rebadged with a few extra bells and whistles.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

@Dustystyx, You can always sell yourself, it's called myspace
Eh heh... I meant sell your information on myspace.
Actually you can give it away on myspace.
Please, don't let me catch anyone selling themselves on myspace on my account.
Even they might have standards.

@joe I've been committing cruel and unnatural acts on blood2 with winrez and modeledit.
It's been a few months since I've performed any new experiments but the subject has recuperated enough to begin trials again.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

A little bird tells me that Mick is using a version of the Source engine from 2007 that does not require Steam.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

DustyStyx wrote:A little bird tells me that Mick is using a version of the Source engine from 2007 that does not require Steam.
Orly?! >: )
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

A new checkpoint model is up.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/blood-source/images
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »