Blood 2 mod

Cool ideas, unfortunately, they breach copyright.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Thanks, Zardoz.

My attempts to improve upon this game led me to a former programmer of Psycho Circus which uses the lithtech 1.5 engine. Our conversations eventually resulted in my being given the game code to Psycho Circus which has never been publicly released!

I wasn't going to mention any of this for awhile, but there are issues with all of this that are trying my patience. Mirrors being one such example.

Mirrors work perfectly in KPC but any attempt that I've made to replicate or duplicate them in the game have failed for some unknown reason.

On the left is a working mirror from a KPC demo level, and on the right is a failed attempt at replicating the mirror function.

If anyone can get a new mirror to work in KPC, or can tell me why this isn't working, please let me know because this game is currently mocking my every attempt.

There would be plenty of advantages in having Blood 2 use the lithtech 1.5 engine, and here's a few test screenshots to demonstrate that this is all quite possible.

But if this is all going to try my patience like these mirrors are doing, then I may just decide to stick with lithtech 1.0 and forget about all these advantages.

Any comments, suggestions, or advice is appreciated.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

As Kurt knows, I messed around with the mirrors without much luck, but here is some information I sent to him.
I Live...AGAIN wrote:Hey Kurt,

You were right about Third Law's version of Dedit. It's really hard to work with.

I have been playing around trying to get a mirror to work for a few hours with no luck. I know in other versions of Dedit all you need to do is bind a glass textured brush to a TranslucentWorldModel, then for the "Effects" parameter use "mirror". Then for the "Effectsparm" value use "overlay" and it should work.

The problem seems to be that with Kiss's version of Dedit, there is no bindable TranslucentWorldObject to bind the brush to. I have tried binding to a window and other objects with no success. I will play some more with it tomorrow.
Caleb --2nd
Zealot

Post by Caleb --2nd »

cool,nice job!
there will be new weapon menu looks good
how much levels this mod is going to be?
sorry for nonsense question
HYPE
Cultist

Post by HYPE »

Caleb --2nd wrote:cool,nice job!
that menu is from "KISS: Psycho Circus", just read Kurt's post...
Caleb --2nd
Zealot

Post by Caleb --2nd »

HYPE wrote:
Caleb --2nd wrote:cool,nice job!
that menu is from "KISS: Psycho Circus", just read Kurt's post...
yes i once played this game.
but i didn't notice its from kiss 8)
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Nice. Hehe, so am I going to have to dig out my old copy? Hope you can get that mirror stuff worked out.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at the moment.

I actually think that Psycho Circus is possessed and that the game editor came directly from Hell.

But it's great that I have this code, and maybe some of it could still be used in lithtech 1.0. That would mean no mirrors or other advancements could be used though.

So I can either work with the happy and compliant lithtech 1.0 or the evil and possessed lithtech 1.5.

It is a dilemma...

Zardoz
Fanatic

Post by Zardoz »

So I can either work with the happy and compliant lithtech 1.0 or the evil and possessed lithtech 1.5.

It is a dilemma...

Hmmm, what did your source for the game code say about mirrors?
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

The mirrors use a special z-buffer stenciling algoritm that was created just for this game. If a brush has its properties set to "mirror" and is bound to a "portalbrush" it should work.

In fact it does work in the demo levels. But every attempt that's been made to replicate them has failed.

Which leads me to the belief that this game is actually possessed and taunting me. The game editor itself seems to enjoy placing objects randomly wherever it likes, and I can almost hear it laughing maniacally as I attempt to work with it.

But I'm sure that some good will come out of all of this, and work will eventually continue when I decide on how best to proceed.

So if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on any of this, feel free to share them.

Mic
Axe Zombie

Post by Mic »

Great progress. I will be keeping my eye on this deal.

Has anyone looked into the "No One Lived Forever" 1 stuff. If I remember correctly I know that Lith 2.0 handled object naming way better then LITH 1.0. I remember making a long hallway once, and putting a small light every 10-12 feet. I had a few hundred of them, and I had to rename each one by hand to light_001 Light_002, etc...

Anyway, I would like to help, but I can't dedicate any time for building, but will dig into my CD back ups for all my blood 2 source art. I know I have a bunch of stuff laying around, including my short attempt at working on a SP level with a short cinematic intro. Why did I stop, NOLF caught my attention. I hope I can find it, if I do, I will email you everything.

Sorry about the state of the old Gamester blood site. When Gamespy wanted to turn planetblood into an archive site. They broke all of my downloads and main page :( I emailed them way back when, but no one got back to me. Perhaps now with my higher ranking spot in the gaming biz, they might be more willing to look into archived backups?

I found this post by accident, but I'm glad I did, good luck Kurt!
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Thanks, Mic. It's nice to see that you're still around, and welcome.

It's too bad about what happened to PlanetBlood and your work there was greatly appreciated by the community. I'm glad that you somehow found your way here, and I'd be happy to receive anything that you might like to offer to this project.

I agree that NOLF did a lot of things well, and the lithtech 2.0 code was a great improvement over what had come before it. It's unfortunate that I can't really take advantage of many of those improvements in this particuliar project though. But examining NOLF and lithtech 2.0's code has proven to be quite helpful.

I'm still currently trying to decide on how best to proceed with all of this, so any comments, input, or contributions are greatly appreciated.

Mic
Axe Zombie

Post by Mic »

I lurk in the darkness, watching, waiting... LOL... I sent you an email. I'll be looking for your reply :)
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

MIC!!!!!! It's about time you showed up! :D
Zardoz
Fanatic

Post by Zardoz »

Lithtech 2.0 or 3.0 might end a lot of this frustration Kurt. It pains me to say it but it's true. :(
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Zardoz wrote:Lithtech 2.0 or 3.0 might end a lot of this frustration Kurt.
True, but moving over into an updated version of LithTech might isolate the interested parties from even being able to play it. The latest Lith game I have is Contract JACK. I don't even have Tron 2.0.

Granted there seem to be plenty of copies of NOLF and NOLF2 at Amazon going for $4-15 so it wouldn't be to hard for anyone interested, who didn't already have a copy, to snag it.

I take it that if you have the Psycho Circus code, you could distribute a modified exe to run with the bulk Blood2 resources? Or would it be a full install package thing?

Question: The last time I tried playing K:PC it had a hard time working, even on 98. How does it perform on modern stuff?