Quake 4 and F.E.A.R

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Runs to shop to buy FEAR
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

This is probably FPS's last stand, folks, so try and enjoy it.

Good day to all.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I would like to state again that I have been able to enjoy ALL FPSs over the years, as long as they are well done. I liked Half-Life 2, Halo, etc. Of course this does not mean I don't see older FPSs as better, but I was able to enjoy the newer ones. I really don't care if FPSs become too deviant from their roots as fast-paced gorefests with no real point, I started playing mostly FPSs right when they switched from unrealistic, shoot everything to realistic, be cautious and think things out. I grew up with both and I've been enjoying both. I'm starting to get really redundant so I'll stop.

And I probably won't get my games for a long while now, as I ripped a $70 (although incredibly shoddy, one small yank and it fell off) door handle off. Don't ask. :x
hund_
Axe Zombie

Post by hund_ »

Damien_Azreal wrote:I have FEAR and QUake 4, both games are awesome.

I'm not good at reviewing games, or actualy putting my thoughts into words. I will simply say this.

Quake 4 is an accurate transition from Quake 2. The graphics are awesome and the gameplay is some of the most consistant I've played in years.
I don't know what he means by it's a chore to play, HL2 was a chore to play. This is war, it's brutal, unrelenting and violent. Always be on your gaurd and watch for the Strogg.

And damn... it is gory. :twisted:

FEAR... let me just say this. I haven't had this much fun with a FPS from Monolith since Blood. And this game is way creepier.
Alma gets under your skin, I have honestly felt chills up my spin and the hairs on my arms have stood up.
The whole atmosphere of the game is perfect. From the slow mood driven story and level design. To the balls to the walls action scenes, were the levels can get so full of dust, smoke and sparks it's impossible to even see your enemy.

This is Monolith's return to the macabre... and it's the best they have ever done with any title. FEAR is the FPS of the year, and the best one I've played in many years.
It is the game to beat this year.

Also, I would strongly like to recommend Serious Sam 2. Don't judge by the first demo. Download the second demo, Greendale level, it shows a more accurate depiction of Serious Sam 2's levels and gameplay.

This is probably the best time of year for us FPS fans. Enjoy it while you can.
mostly just read these forums but the above quote is as spot on as i've ever read in a forum.

i will add that i have not seen a pre christmas season this good ever 8)
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Thank you hund_

I just finished FEAR... and if you want chills to your bone and honest to god creep out moments. The last few levels... :shock: Oh My God.

My girl friend sat here in the dark and watched me play the whole game. And the last few levels gave her chills as well.

*huddles in the corner and shivers*
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Well in that case.... I'll buy all three! In due time.... in due time... Thank you for the report Mr. Azreal!
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

I loved Doom3 (single player only, multi player was crap), and I'll be getting Quake 4 for sure. I don't know about FEAR, it doesn't convince me, but who knows?
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAA..
HANG JUST THE f*** SECOND THERE PALS..
Q2 multiplayer sucks?? OMG that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Q2 multi is the best multiplayer ever! Not one single, and I mean ONE SINGLE game, has ever managed to add all the diversity Q2 has!
You can actually see tons and tons and tons of difference between an experienced player and a noob. No other game could award you in skill level as Q2. You actually have things to improve as you play Q2.
The guys who said Q2 sucks, obviously suck at Q2.
In other multi games, you might get lucky to get a frag when playing as a noob. In Q2, you'll end up having your score below 0.

In what other game can you actually move faster than a regular player? Do you have any idea how much MOVEMENT there is in Q2?
Strafe jump, double jump, triple jump, circle jump, rocket jump, head jump... possibilites are endless! I don't want to hear anyone s*** on my Q2! I really f*** mean it. If you don't like it, STFU. But no one dare to say it sucks! Cos that means you suck at it, and would get your ass wiped like whipped cream in it.
Also, the netcode is far superior than any other game title. Q3 might have a bit better netcode, but I doubt it.

Yes there was a time when I said "Q2 sucks", but once I got into the community and saw all the things you can do. I still haven't mastered all the ellements of Q2, and I probably never will (I've been playing it for like 6 or 7 years now). Q2 is just packed with possibilities. I can only compare it to Starcraft, when it comes to gameplay diversities.
So please, you don't have to like it, but don't bash it. Cos that just proves you don't even know it.
Kthnxbye.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

No, the only thing it proves is that people have different tastes and opinions.
Plain and simple.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

hah multiplayer Q2 SUCKS BALLZ!!11

Q1 is where it's at.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

I'm not sure if you'll all believe this... but I happen to prefer Blood.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Ðædalu§ Ðeathmask wrote:This is probably FPS's last stand, folks, so try and enjoy it.

Good day to all.
DD, I remember people saying that last year when Doom 3, Painkiller, Half-Life 2 and Far Cry came out.

Shooters will always be around my friend.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Wasn't around for quite a bit, so a list of stuff:

-Doom 3 did indeed have nice SP and crap MP. The SP wasn't very lasting, though in my opinion. Played through once and intended to play Nightmare but decided I have a LOT of better games I could be playing.

-I don't even HAVE Quake 2, but I know Q1 and Q3 are both awesome, so I expect awesome from Q2.

-Nothing will sway us from Blood, it seems. :D
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Yeah, I guess you're right, Mister Damien. I guess I was just being optimistic? Pessimistic? Whatever! :P
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Ðædalu§ Ðeathmask wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right, Mister Damien. I guess I was just being optimistic? Pessimistic? Whatever! :P
No harm, no foul.

I love FPS and am always on the look out for upcoming great ones. We still have Prey coming down the pike. As well as some cool looking budget shooters.