Shadow Warrior Source is on the Way

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Unfortunately, the most valuable code to us lies not in the engine at all. The code which proves most valuable to US (Transfusion) is the physics and damage calculation, etc. Ironically, Monolith is probably most trying to protect the engine. They posess the most updated authentic version of the build engine. Ken Silverman himself helped Monolith with it.

Anyway, Monolith won't let the engine data go, but most of the Blood engine can be obtained from the SW code. Too bad Monolith can't release ANY of the code... it is black and white to them, there is no grey area there.

-Slink

EDIT: P.S. Blood has little specific things that SW may not have at all: you can do miniscule adjustments to floor/cieling height and texture pan/stretch. Also, I believe the flat sprite orientation is far more advanced than that of SW, but I cannot vouch for that, seeing as I have never messed with SW build.
Number II
Fanatic

Post by Number II »

Why are they so reluctant to release the Blood engine source? It's not like they'll lose any sales because of it?
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

Slink wrote:Unfortunately, the most valuable code to us lies not in the engine at all. The code which proves most valuable to US (Transfusion) is the physics and damage calculation, etc. Ironically, Monolith is probably most trying to protect the engine. They posess the most updated authentic version of the build engine. Ken Silverman himself helped Monolith with it.

Anyway, Monolith won't let the engine data go, but most of the Blood engine can be obtained from the SW code. Too bad Monolith can't release ANY of the code... it is black and white to them, there is no grey area there.

-Slink

EDIT: P.S. Blood has little specific things that SW may not have at all: you can do miniscule adjustments to floor/cieling height and texture pan/stretch. Also, I believe the flat sprite orientation is far more advanced than that of SW, but I cannot vouch for that, seeing as I have never messed with SW build.
Replace "Monolith" with "Atari" and it makes a bit more sense.

And, I dare say to the disdain of many in this forum, that Shadow Warrior was as advanced, if not moreso, than Blood when it comes to engine features and the editing side of things. The abilities to make small-scale adjustments, dealing with sprites; to my memory they were just as good. I can't wait for the source code.....
sirlemonhead
Cultist

Post by sirlemonhead »

2 out of the 3 best build games have had their sources released.

It's a pity Atari have the whole 'it's against our policy to release source code for our games' :evil:

I made mention in my e-mails to Nancy Bushkin before that 3D Realms was still generating sales of a game older than Blood (duke3d) as the source code release and port brought new and old fans back to the game, but even the prospect of them being able to sell Blood again for money didn't interest them :\

But perhaps I wasn't too good at getting my point across..
icecoldduke
Axe Zombie

Post by icecoldduke »

Atari used alot of 3rd party tools in Blood, which would make it a bitch to release. There movie(Smacker) and sound(dont remember the name off hand), cost alot of money to license. They arent willing to go through the code and remove all references to these libraries.

What physics did Blood have anyway?
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

as far as I know, the physics was that built into the build engine.

The sound I believe was mostly done in-house, not outsourced. Which mostly leaves the smacker stuff which no could easily be replaced with xvid now provided they opened source ;\
icecoldduke
Axe Zombie

Post by icecoldduke »

Willis wrote:as far as I know, the physics was that built into the build engine.

The sound I believe was mostly done in-house, not outsourced. Which mostly leaves the smacker stuff which no could easily be replaced with xvid now provided they opened source ;\
I do remember reading something about there sound code being a outsoucred, i could be wrong...

As far as the physics part, it couldn't have been built into the engine. There code worked on top of the engine, and replaced certain functions. Ken never gave any licensee source to engine.c if I remember right.

Again what physics did it have that other build games didn't
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Kazashi wrote:Replace "Monolith" with "Atari" and it makes a bit more sense.
Heheh... :oops: how silly of me... I forgot about the whole "Infogrames" thing... sigh, Atari... sigh...

-Slink